Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing axle tube leaks
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Swing axle tube leaks Reply with quote

Does anyone sell a sealed ball bearing for swing axle tubes on the outer end? Getting a little tired of rebuilding one side or the other every couple years. Getting my brakes soaked with trans oil doesn't make me very happy either.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube leaks Reply with quote

The seal kits should last longer than that if they are being installed correctly and if the kits aren't junk. I've seen a lot of these seal kits installed wrong or otherwise poorly.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube leaks Reply with quote

Is the car slammed low? If so, when the axle tubes are angled towards the trans the outer bearings get very little lube, and then yes a sealed bearing helps.
If the car isn't lowered I would look at some other cause. Or, are you running cheap bearings?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube leaks Reply with quote

Would suggest getting the genuine German seal kits. A littel expensive, but worth it. And I have done axle seals on my cars that have held up over 10 years and still not leaking. Take a good look at your installation procedure as well.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rrcade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube leaks Reply with quote

Maybe describe the correct install procedure and any little tips
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube leaks Reply with quote

A sealed ball bearing would not replace the need for a seal.
It would be just the same, unless you put the seal inboard of the bearing.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube leaks Reply with quote

It's been 25 years since I did one, but it's sort of like riding a bike or screwing, once you've done it one time correctly, etc etc.....

Get a German seal kit. in the kit there will be a seal, two o-rings, two paper gaskets, large cotter pin and it seems the real kits use to have a beveled spacer and two steel shims. Start by taking the brake backing plate off and clean up everything within an inch of it's life. It has to be very clean. Going back together, you put a paper gasket on each side of the backing plate, the big o-ring goes around the bearing, the small shim goes on the axle, the small o-ring goes on top of the small shim , the spacer goes on the axle with the bevel toward the small o-ring. Put the large shim in the seal retainer and install the seal. The seal is installed with a special tool which may be hard to obtain. This is where most people screw up. The seal only goes a certain distance into the retainer. If you look inside the retainer you'll see what I mean. An exploded view of the assembly would be of help to you. There are some variances in the way the oil slinger works on different year models.... put a small amount of wheel bearing grease on the o-rings and the seal lip during assembly. Top up the gearbox with gear oil.

ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube leaks Reply with quote

I found that it is really easy to damage the seal when installing the bearing cap onto the spline. It's really easy to nick it or roll a section over.
It will leak quickly if that happens.

The Hayes manual has a good picture in it of the sequence of the parts. Follow that, keep everything clean and take your time to make sure you don't damage anything installing it.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube leaks Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
It's been 25 years since I did one, but it's sort of like riding a bike or screwing, once you've done it one time correctly, etc etc.....

Get a German seal kit. in the kit there will be a seal, two o-rings, two paper gaskets, large cotter pin and it seems the real kits use to have a beveled spacer and two steel shims. Start by taking the brake backing plate off and clean up everything within an inch of it's life. It has to be very clean. Going back together, you put a paper gasket on each side of the backing plate, the big o-ring goes around the bearing, the small shim goes on the axle, the small o-ring goes on top of the small shim , the spacer goes on the axle with the bevel toward the small o-ring. Put the large shim in the seal retainer and install the seal. The seal is installed with a special tool which may be hard to obtain. This is where most people screw up. The seal only goes a certain distance into the retainer. If you look inside the retainer you'll see what I mean. An exploded view of the assembly would be of help to you. There are some variances in the way the oil slinger works on different year models.... put a small amount of wheel bearing grease on the o-rings and the seal lip during assembly. Top up the gearbox with gear oil.

This is not acurate. On a t-1 swing you only use 1 gasket inboard the backing plate, Sometimes I dont even use it however technically you are supposed to, also the only times you use the large shim is with a closed cap, and installing the seal into the cap is about a 3rd graders job, no special tools are required.

Also not mentioned, do not for any reason pull outward on the axle after the bearing cap is off!! Other than what I mentioned this is this is correct.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube leaks Reply with quote

To the OP, I would be cautious about considering technical advice from someone who obviously has no formal training and has basic spelling and grammatical challenges.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube leaks Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
To the OP, I would be cautious about considering technical advice from someone who obviously has no formal training and has basic spelling and grammatical challenges.

Exactly, just like some one who hasn't done an axle seal in 25 years verses some one who did 2 yesterday, who also does this for a living, who also buys axle seal kits 25 at a time, who also has built more than 1000 t-1 trannys alone. But be cautious of basic spelling Rolling Eyes

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
rrcade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube leaks Reply with quote

Getting that seal swapped on my 62 sure as hell couldnt have been done by a third grader
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube leaks Reply with quote

There was a comment about nicking the bearing housing. Have run into plenty of those. What I do is sand it out as good as possible and if I am still uneasy, a wipe of Aviation sealer on the outside of the seal usually does it. Not always, but usually.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube leaks Reply with quote

My car is a 67 Bug. Swingaxle is long axle, short spline. I ran the stock drums for years then switched to type 3 drums and backing plates. I never had trouble with leaks at the bearing seal/cover. Years ago I bought CB Performance Wide Five Discs with parking brakes. Ever since I have installed those, I have had issues with it leaking constantly. In an effort to stop the leaking, last week I changed the bearings and got new spacers. One side leaked after driving about 30 miles.

Today, I plan to run to VeeParts and get new oil slingers and bearing caps to see if that's where the issue is. I even took it once to an aircooled VW shop to have them do it as I thought I was doing something wrong. The only other thing that I can think of is that the caliper brackets don't have a hole that matches up with the cap or gasket. I'm wondering if that's effective clogging up the venting and causing oil to get forced out of the seal. Any ideas?
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube leaks Reply with quote

surfbeetle wrote:
My car is a 67 Bug. Swingaxle is long axle, short spline. I ran the stock drums for years then switched to type 3 drums and backing plates. I never had trouble with leaks at the bearing seal/cover. Years ago I bought CB Performance Wide Five Discs with parking brakes. Ever since I have installed those, I have had issues with it leaking constantly. In an effort to stop the leaking, last week I changed the bearings and got new spacers. One side leaked after driving about 30 miles.

Today, I plan to run to VeeParts and get new oil slingers and bearing caps to see if that's where the issue is. I even took it once to an aircooled VW shop to have them do it as I thought I was doing something wrong. The only other thing that I can think of is that the caliper brackets don't have a hole that matches up with the cap or gasket. I'm wondering if that's effective clogging up the venting and causing oil to get forced out of the seal. Any ideas?

Measure the thickness of your caliper bracket and compare it to your backing plate. If its thicker, it will never seal. I had to shave abit off mine.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=669723&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube leaks Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
surfbeetle wrote:

Measure the thickness of your caliper bracket and compare it to your backing plate. If its thicker, it will never seal. I had to shave abit off mine.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=669723&highlight=

Thank you, the CB Performance kit does come with a spacer that goes in place to compensate for the caliper bracket being thicker than the backing plate and help retain the bearing. But with that said, it's definitely worth measuring to verify it's all correct.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube leaks Reply with quote

When I use the CB kits I machine the bearing cap to the new correct demension. Solves 2 problems doing it this way, first, not always does the rotor hub fit the opening of the cap and second it alows a perfectly flat surface. Also with the CB kit I use no gaskets. Never had one leak like this and I have probably installed a hundred of them.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
surfbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube leaks Reply with quote

I replaced the leaky side this weekend and found that this time, the seal must have gotten pinched during install. The inner part of the seal was chewed up and the spring was in pieces. I think I got all of the pieces out. Also, i noticed that the inside of the hub at the splines was not perfectly round and there was a slight indent on the inner face of the hub. I smoothed that and the oil slinger out as best as I could and took extra care when reassembling it. I'll see what happens this weekend when I drive it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: