Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

curtp07 wrote:
HastaAlaska wrote:
I didn't ask what caused it, I asked what are the options for resolving the issue.!

I believe skills answered both.

wow...sensitive today huh?

so...if you can't read between the lines of you cut a very structural member off of a automobile and that needs to be addressed as well as poor prep, I guess the next fix it to poop some garbage in the seam, huh? or stiffen the whole deal...

those seams are prone to crack no matter what..IF they are not properly prepped. your whole bus is a wet rope now...those seams will continue to crack no matter what at this point....unless you fix your roof issues.

so sorry I didn't come here and burp sunshine and shit rainbows....you had an honest reply to your issue...but like most the truth seems to bother you.

here is what a REAL seam looks like. your body guy is a butcher...sorry. you can clearly see it "steps in" to where the panels meet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

your body guy just jizzed in some shit...and prayed I guess.....the stuff I use is about 150/ per cartridge....you need 3 to do an entire bus....something tells me you didn't buy 450.00 plus 60.00 worth of nozzles to do this job..

your guy just loaded it all up

so....never enough time to do it right, but always time to do it twice....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

In concern for the larger idea of your international trip and the success of the internet/TV show you are producing...

For the scope of the project that you want to take this bus on, especially driving it from Europe through the wilds and nature of Asia and through Australia, you are going to be taking the Bus on some VERY rough terrain that even those countries call roads.

The condition of the Bus you are working on now, seems in NO WAY to be able to handle those extremes. If you have structural rigidity issues, and panel seam self-destruction now just sitting on pavement, how will it survive the terrible conditions of the unpaved wilds of Asia and the Outback?

I see that the condition where, even if you were to create and weld in a new internal superstructure and also weld tight all the seams that are currently compromised, that it can all just fall apart as with all the repairs that would be done. To me it isn't the strength of the kind of quality you would need to survive those kinds of wilds. Even with off-road style suspension mods, a welded seam can find a way to crack along the weld or along the side where the metal was heated by the weld. Well, unless you're willing to spend 20,000 Euro on Adamantium ribbing and an Unobtanium frame.

If you're working your way through Kazakhstan, Lower Russia, Mongolia, and similar parts of that region, and you have major panel failure there, unless you're carrying a welder, not many can come to your rescue like you were fortunate to have in Northern Canada/Southern Alaska.

Personally, I'd find another high top that has much more/all of the original supporting structure that should have been there in the first place. It's just peace of mind.

While I like your adventures and shows that have brought a fun light to owning/driving/living in/adventuring with an air cooled VW, I'd also Not like to see you stranded somewhere, where when your temporary visas run out, put you in jail. Nobody needs that.

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys

78BusGA wrote:
If you have structural rigidity issues, and panel seam self-destruction now just sitting on pavement, how will it survive the terrible conditions of the unpaved wilds of Asia and the Outback?

I am concerned about making a costly repair to have the same issue reoccur.
From what I've read on TS people seams can be quite troublesome.
Just to be clear, these cracked seams happened before i reinforced the hightop with the pictured frame. Do you not think the frame is adequate to prevent the vehicle from twisting beyond it's limits?

I've seen a lot of hightop buses with the same style opening that was cut out on mine. Can anyone confirm if this was how Adventure Wagon did their conversions?

Thanks
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Put belly pans on it. That and the piece you've engineered for the top should handle the parts you've removed. Seam rust, meh my original paint bus has seem rust... who cares.
If it turns out that you still have structural problems after belly pans and the top pieces, try again. Good luck on your travels.
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

KrisBalfe wrote:
Put belly pans on it. That and the piece you've engineered for the top should handle the parts you've removed. Seam rust, meh my original paint bus has seem rust... who cares.
If it turns out that you still have structural problems after belly pans and the top pieces, try again. Good luck on your travels.

That's a good shout. I'm intending to try to fabricate some belly pans of sorts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

You will need an engineering consult to stiffen that chassis. Pop riveting in Al plates will be the first th8ng they tell You to remove and start over.

You have to trace the forces and strains that you have changed by cutting the top open and transmit those forces To new places.

Understanding how to do this is why all the dorks inhigh school are now Rich,and all the popular kids voted most likely to succeed run dontfundme campaigns...
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

My AW lost its roof about 1980 ( it is a 69 model), and was replaced with a slab of Aluminum sheet. I'm 2 nd owner and have service records from day one. AW cut hole in the roof of the Kombis and transporters they acquired, slapped on a high-top , heavied it up with cheap paneling and "furniture". Down the road they went. I'm almost at 700,000 miles and the only issue I have is the RT door not opening or closing correctly despite all my efforts. Otherwise I see no issues from the intrusion in the roof. Your seam deterioration hints of a previous graft/wreck repair. That may be why you have structural concerns. Frame check?? I would fish plate all soft areas from the inside with 14 gauge steel and diagonal anchor strips. Your hoop set up will help, but why use a softer material on a repair that has not been engineered? Overkill is the answer when in hillbilly land repair mode. I've seen stressed Bus's come apart, its ugly....
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You will need an engineering consult to stiffen that chassis.....

You have to trace the forces and strains that you have changed by cutting the top open and transmit those forces To new places.

I think this would be the ultimate and best approach from an engineering perspective, but I don't think it is feasible in reality. Unfortunately there are no automotive engineers on my island. The best option I have is to try to follow VWs lead as best as possible.

Manfred58sc wrote:
My AW lost its roof about 1980... I'm almost at 700,000 miles and the only issue I have is the RT door not opening or closing correctly despite all my efforts.
...Your seam deterioration hints of a previous graft/wreck repair. That may be why you have structural concerns. Frame check??

.... why use a softer material on a repair that has not been engineered?

That's good to know thank you. I had a close look for any signs of heavy wreck repair, I didn't didn't see any. Only the sliding door was non-original as far as I could see. Maybe the PO Bill knows more about the history, feel free to chime in Bill.

I used aluminium on recommendation of the fabricator. The steel was way too heavy, the aluminium boxing is quite a thick gauge and I've been assured that it is very strong. I've also see other's use aluminium boxing for internal frames with good success on off-road VWs. So I'm hoping that it will do the job.

I has done and will continue to drive well, it's not like it's crab walking down the road or anything.

Frankly, I wont know for sure until I've resolved my alignment issues (bent tierod and rear suspension in need of adjustment) and removed and replaced the seam seal.

Once I've done that I will know for certain that there are no other issue which could be manifesting itself as a structural integrity problem. I can then drive 5-10K and I'll be able to see how the seams hold up and if there are any further reasons to be concerned. hopefully there wont be... I could do with some good luck Laughing

Have a great week everyone
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Hi Ben- as far as the body goes- I did nothing but install the panels (1/2" marine ply) behind both seats- to the top- the side door was not messed with. That upper frame you've put in seem like the right track. as the belly pans. If it makes you feel bad about the seams, my white bus is :bleeding" on the same seams and hasn't been out of the shed- so maybe the $450 tubes of sealer are worth it. [img]

This is an old pic of my first hi-topper - it appears to have as much roof removed as Boomerang. It also seems to have had the steel reinforcing removed, or move above the storage.

AW did put in a steel square brace between the C pillar - that was so low into the cabin- you couldn't help but bump your head on it- it was moved by me 4" higher on to the fiberglass. in line with the bottom of that storage.

this pic is looking forward.

[/img]

Here is a rough idea of the plywood over head storage and amount of tin removed looking back.[img][img]

The steel reinforcing can be seen above the flat storage piece. [/img]

I think the seam is just some low grade stuff the did not seal the metal-and not really any sigh of structural failure imminent.-

After all the 2x2's and panel were in, I didn't notice any "flex" in the frame, I can see how a more open environment you have planned, will certainly need some mods.

[/img]

Keep the faith and look forward to more of the video work-

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Cheers Bill, I'd originally thought that we'd tackle the interior during our 6 months in the US, but after we began we realized that there is no way that we would have had time. In hindsight it would be have been smart to leave your camper interior in, at least until we crossed the US. Would have helped with the structural rigidity and also would have been way more comfortable than sleeping on boxes Smile

Not sure about that $450 seam sealer. Been searching for a while and haven't found anything close to it. Not much info to go on though. I may ask a local body-shop for help but would like to be asking the right questions. I take it that it's a 2K seam sealer that I should be looking for?

anything else I should inquire about to ensure they are going to do a good job?
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

My son spent a semester in Mongolia and went back for a few weeks with a guy who runs overland expeditions. They had prepped trucks and equipment, and not all the trucks made it back. The roads were suggestions where others had travelled, and he said said aside from suspension issues, steering play was the issue. These were trucks with frames.
Screw the aluminum, and weld steel in like VW did. Too bad about the paint, get some silicone caulk and have at it. Pack some tubes for later..
When out of town in Mongolia, the locals crap down rabbit holes and the like. Good luck with showering. You really want to be there in the summer.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

What’s the plan for the winch?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
Cheers Bill, I'd originally thought that we'd tackle the interior during our 6 months in the US, but after we began we realized that there is no way that we would have had time. I should inquire about to ensure they are going to do a good job?

As I just turned my white bus over to a body shop and waited and waited for them to get done with it- I have no idea what kind of seam sealer they used-(if any) the resultant weeping of rust from the seams was a real disappointment. Much like the roof leaking on boomerang - I had no idea of the degree of leakage as- much like my roof- It never rains here to speak of and we certainly don't drive in it (my god are you crazy)-- But as the area is open from the inside,- you should be able to blast thru the seam and dry it out , then do a press thru from the inside to get a good seal.

I did get some pic of the white bus as it was being serviced. [img]
[/img]

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

For whatever it's worth, rusted seams are fairly common on Vanagons, especially Vanagon Westys it seams (ha ha).

There have been some that felt they dealt with it well with minimal paint work/repair required afterward. More less, I think they tape the sides of the seam, dig the original VW goop out of the seam, apply acid to kill rust, reseal with a quality seam sealer, and paint with color matched paint.

I'd suggest searching over in the Vangon forums to see what they do.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
reseal with a quality seam sealer.

I'd suggest searching over in the Vangon forums to see what they do.

I'm getting ready to tackle this job soon. I've done a fair bit of reading on the Vanagon forum and spoken with some body-shop guys. I've had Wurth products recommended to me and 3M as a brand (but not a specific products)

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on which 3M seam sealer would be best to go for (or if you you have negative experiences of 3m seam sealers)

Thanks
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Hey Gang,

Can we talk security for sec?

I'm just coming towards the end of cab door restoration (thanks Colin for the useful write-up here on TS) and I'm just thinking about ways to improve security on the doors.

Guys in all your years have you ever seen electric deadbolts fitted to front cab doors? Or something similar fitted to the sliding door?

I've seen this on RR2

And was thinking I could try to use something like

It would be nice to install something modern / electronic as I will need to use them so often, but 2 principal concerns, 1 - it get's pretty wet inside those doors and 2 is there even space?

I'd like to avoid the questionable benefits of an external sliding door lock such as

but I will go this route if there is no other option

I understand that if they want in, they will get in, but I still think there is benefit in beefing up the security a little.

I'm wondering what you guys have collectively seen over the years to improve security.

Thanks
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

People will simply smash and grab if your doors won’t open. A crow bar will also defeat all that stuff, too. Sit awareness is much more important than engineering security
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

I have to agree that ultimately safety is a state of mind and an awareness of circumstance. I would not put any external, visually obvious, mechanisms that would draw attention to the vehicle. Personally I stopped even locking my Bus years ago. I park in metered lots with an attendant , or within sight of what ever activity I'm involved with. Locks only keep out honest folk ( and yourself when you misplace the key ). Don't keep anything in the Bus that has value. I only revealed used camping gear of the lowest quality,old beat up tool-box full of mismatched items, torn clothing, no radio or electronic items. I did have a stash box behind the fridge that was not very easy to get to.

Never had one thing stolen in 32 years and 400,000 miles of travel.

In a sketchy foreign land , like the ones you are wanting to travel in, I would imagine you would be more or less tied to the bus at all times so that the whole vehicle is not boosted. Good luck.
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

I agree. Usually I keep the bus as close to me as possible at all times, that isn't always possible, neither is having nothing of value inside, unfortunately.

It's very easy to cut the rubber seal out or smash a window, but I still think it is worth while preventing the doors from opening. Getting into a vehicle (that you can't quickly exit,) through a smashed window has to be less appealing and hopefully will stop some people.

If nothing else, it will make me feel better.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

In my mind, the whole idea of theft deterrent is to inspire the asshole to pick something easier than mine.

No amount of locks will keep someone out if they really want in. Just make it obviously harder to deal with than the next victim.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 41

Jump to: