Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Doesn't this pic make you want a Syncro ?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Doesn't this pic make you want a Syncro ? Reply with quote

The pictures that should make people want a Syncro are like the ones IdahoDoug posted a few weeks back when he had to get creative to escape a remote campsite. Very Happy
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Doesn't this pic make you want a Syncro ? Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
The pictures that should make people want a Syncro are like the ones IdahoDoug posted a few weeks back when he had to get creative to escape a remote campsite. Very Happy
Yeah, that thread kinda made me chuckle, all I would have had to do was drive out.

I had a similar situation in snow with my first Vanagon Carat. Was very surprised at how poorly the Vanagon dealt with a slight slope compared to all the Baywindow and Splits I had owned. I guess having the extra weight of the gas tank over the rear wheels and the reduction boxes (on the Splits) help those buses cruise out of trouble. Made me want the Syncro I had just sold back again.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Scurry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Doesn't this pic make you want a Syncro ? Reply with quote

I'm wondering if you guys can help me understand which direction I should go? I currently have a 1990 Westy Atlantic in good condition. My only dislike is when i get stuck. For example, this past January we were visiting my wife's family in the Italian Alps. It was 1am when we came back to her dads house and the fresh snow would allow us to get up his driveway. We had proper winter tires, but she just couldnt make it. After 45mins of fumbling around with these ridiculously designed snow chains, I was finally able to climb up the driveway. Would an LSD with a locker help in these kind of snow situations, or would I always need to put on snow chains? Maybe I should just by smarter designed snow chains (or try to be smarter myself Rolling Eyes ).

I also found myself unable to climb a gravel country road this summer. I just couldnt get the grip and had to turn around to descend, in a somewhat scary cliff drop location. I'm always pushing to go just a bit further. So the question boils down to this:

Do I just keep my Atlantic and add the suspension mods, bumper with winch, LSD and rear locker... and make this into a more capable 2WD vehicle... or do I do what I've been dreaming off and sell this one and buy a Syncro and convert it to the Westy we already have?

*Note: part of this decision comes with the known upcoming needs of my current Atlantic. She's burning oil (more than normal). If we keep we we'll need to upgrade to a 1.9AAZ, which will be approximately €5k. Once I do that, I will have to commit to keeping her.

Whaddya think? I'm not imterested in abusing my van or seeing how far I can push her, but on the other hand, I prefer to be stuck less often.

Question

Sodo wrote:
Yellow Rabbit wrote:
hdenter wrote:
No

They cost too much to buy
They cost more to maintain
A 2wd with a locker and/or a LSD can do almost anything sensable that a syncro can...

Ba bumbug!

Yeah, but that low gear sure would be nice!

A 2wd with a Syncro Locker trans can do what that GoWesty van did.
Which is unnecessary of course.
Syncro can do a lot more useful things than that pic.

This is the kind of pic that makes me want (my) Syncro

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1962 Karmann Ghia “Pacific Blue”
1990 T3 Westy Atlantic “Alpine White”
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Doesn't this pic make you want a Syncro ? Reply with quote

Scurry wrote:
I'm wondering if you guys can help me understand which direction I should go? I currently have a 1990 Westy Atlantic in good condition. My only dislike is when i get stuck. For example, this past January we were visiting my wife's family in the Italian Alps. It was 1am when we came back to her dads house and the fresh snow would allow us to get up his driveway. We had proper winter tires, but she just couldnt make it. After 45mins of fumbling around with these ridiculously designed snow chains, I was finally able to climb up the driveway. Would an LSD with a locker help in these kind of snow situations, or would I always need to put on snow chains? Maybe I should just by smarter designed snow chains (or try to be smarter myself Rolling Eyes ).

I also found myself unable to climb a gravel country road this summer. I just couldnt get the grip and had to turn around to descend, in a somewhat scary cliff drop location.

I had similar problems which were all resolved with the installation of a Peloquin diff. Just a night and day difference for me and we haven't been stuck since except for when I forgot to air down the tires on the beach!!! Embarassed
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Doesn't this pic make you want a Syncro ? Reply with quote

Now that I have some experience driving both I can chime in. Both of my vans have recently rebuilt front ends and are in comparable mechanical shape.

Besides the G gear, the Syncro subframe makes a big difference. The Syncro drives better, handles better, and just feels more solid on road and off. It takes bumps better and maintains stability in crosswinds and bad weather better than my 2wd. Certainly there are other factors involved (Syncro is a tin top, 2wd is a Wolfsburg Westy) but that's my take on it. I love driving the Syncro in all conditions. It's more fun.

So yeah, you could probably get down the same fire roads with a 2wd with a Peloquin, but from my experience, there's more to it than that.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Doesn't this pic make you want a Syncro ? Reply with quote

Want. Hmmm....

I can afford the 30 or so Lottery tickets I get each year. I get them when the # of $ gets higher than $300M or so. So, like the jackpot dollars, I want a bunch more Vanagons too. All flavors please, oh, and I like older VW's too.

This 2WD 'cost' me $1... So, that was a great lottery win right there!!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699642&highlight=

But... now what?

What if I DID win the lottery? That could really mess my life up, just like the ZoomBus could.

-bobby
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Doesn't this pic make you want a Syncro ? Reply with quote

For me personally, the hook is the engineering that went into making the syncro. I could not resist it. I am in the process of converting my 2wd camper over to a syncro drive train. I have gotten very close and personal with this job and have an even greater appreciation for the engineering that went into one. Can't see myself flying through the air with either camper though.
hellenic vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Doesn't this pic make you want a Syncro ? Reply with quote

panel wrote:
Doesn't this pic make you want a Syncro ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAiBT87wxrM

Yes. And for better results, connect it to the "on the road" magic:

(A Syncrovention)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: