Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I just got back from a show, attendees were all given 'loot' bags. I looked inside and found a 1983 edition of VW & Porsche. (I assume that everyone attending got a different magazine, probably someone from the host club cleaning out their cupboards).

Anyways there is an article about the continued manufacturing of Type 1 Beetles in Mexico, and a description of a 1982 model:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also at the show was a 1955 Mexican built Beetle (parked beside me). The owner claimed it had just over 4,000 miles on it, it was stored for decades before he bought it. I'll post some pictures of it tomorrow...... stay tuned!
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Garba, the better to buy Sump plate with oil drain plug hole and magnetic oild drainer plug, it is effective than stainer but the better way to use both of them Wink

hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

As promised, here are some photos of the oldest Mexican Beetle I've seen, 1955:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Mkhalil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to remove the Mexican beetle seats andand how to fit the plastic bushings ?
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

"Does anyone know how to remove the Mexican beetle seats andand how to fit the plastic bushings ?" this question is asked by Mkhalil(I know spelt)

Well for starters you will need the bushings now I was not as smart as I think I am and got mine from Greece CIP1 has them look for seat bushings...When you get them you will need superglue and graphite grease or axel grease basically any heavy duty grease as you will need it for the seat rails.
Under the seat there is a mounting bolt that needs to be removed be watchful as it can be a pain getting this back in.
Once removed slide the seat back until it comes off the rail.
Now the seat has 2 plastic bushings at the back they are easy to pop out pop in the new ones and superglue them in so the do not drop out.
Now comes the seat there is a bushing that goes on the mount where the seat bolt release is and you will have to remove the old one it will seat in but glue it for extra safety
also just for extra ease there is 2 screws that hold a mounting rod you take those out or you will have 3hour fight trying to get the seat back in....

Now all you have to do is slide everything back the same way you took them off ….while you have them off wash them...good luck it will be sweaty job and a bit frustrating take pictures before removing in case you forget how it goes back on....
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

How can I clean the injectors? Do I need to send them to a specialized shop?

What is the average mpg I should consider as normal for it anyways?
My bug is using more fuel than advertised (21 mpg or 9km/L, advertised on the windscreen:33mpg or 14km/L) and it sounds slightly unstable at idle.

There is a strong unburnt gasoline smell in the exhaust, despite having its catalytic converter.
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Plagos_q: have you check for fault codes just checking and clearing them should sort it out …
If so wait until the tank is almost empty and put seafoam in the tank and while doing that also get the seafoam carb cleaner and with a buddy Blow out some serious smoke and that should clear the problem
SamIII
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Sotobaggins wrote:
Plagos_q: have you check for fault codes just checking and clearing them should sort it out …
If so wait until the tank is almost empty and put seafoam in the tank and while doing that also get the seafoam carb cleaner and with a buddy Blow out some serious smoke and that should clear the problem
SamIII

Well, I have already checked fault codes, and none appeared.

I live in Chile and I haven't found Seafoam around here. I've heard of laque thinner as a solution, but the closest I found is poliurethane thinner (basically toluene), and I don't know what effets it could have in the fuel pump and rubber lines.
What is seafoam made of? Maybe I can find an alternative product with a different name

Patrick
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Plagos_q Hi Patrick Do you have amazon??? Yes Toluene is good but do not run it straight, if you can get super octane boost or Berrymans and double the can should do the job...SamIII
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

plagos_g, if you smell gasoline in the exhaust i'd suspect the ignition first. have a look at your spark plugs, one of them may not be firing.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Quote:
if you smell gasoline in the exhaust i'd suspect the ignition first. have a look at your spark plugs, one of them may not be firing.

GArBa, I hadn't thought about that. I'll check it now. Thanks for the idea.
Sotobaggins, I checked amazon and they don't ship it here, unfortunately. I will, however, consider adding about 5% of thinner to the gasoline, after I've checked spark in all 4 cylinders.
I'll try to post a video with the engine running on idle, too.

EDIT:
I checked the spark plugs: Cylinder no. 3 had its spark plug loose. I changed them four months ago and the old one was loose too.
I fear it may have its threads broken. Despite this, I carefully tighten it up, and using a timing pistol I tried to check if all spark plugs were actually firing after that.
Cylinder 4 had an intermittent spark, (judging by the pistol's uneven light), so I replaced the spark plug wires with some older ones (OEM) I had.
That intermittent spark was fixed (I supposed) after that. However, it still idles uneven.
Could it be a clogged injector not closing?
This is a video of it staring up

Link

GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I'm still not convinced it's an injector as it doesn't sound bad on acceleration, this gives me another idea, i.e. to try to clean your idle stabilization valve.

ps. I understand your plugs are firing, would be a good idea to also take a look at them to check for any evidence of different combustion between the cylinders.

edit: sorry, I didn't read your post carefully enough, if the plug keeps coming loose you may have a crack somewhere in the head...
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I think I need to add some backstory to it.

Anyway, I'll try to swap the Idle Stabilization Valve (I think we call it IAC here), and drive around this week. I will then check the spark plug again to see if it went loose again.
I've heard there are two kinds of valves depending on the computer, could it be the wrong valve? It still wouldn't explain the gasoline smell though.
Also, I'll probably open a new thread to report progress on it as it seems it will use more than a few replies...

Thanks for the feedback!

Patrick
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I went a car show in Joliette, Quebec yesterday and there was a 2001 Mexican Beetle (dressed up as Herbie) parked behind me.

The story behind the car is that it was dressed up as Herbie when new and used at a restaurant in Mexico for promotions.

Other than the Herbie paint, a couple things puzzled me about the car. The interior is a nice leather(ette?) seats and the windows had 'chrome' (actually plastic). This seems odd to me as (I believe) only special editions Mexican's would have had the chrome. The windows were all original Mexican glass. There was also a Wolfsburg crest on the front. The crest is an easy addition, but adding the chrome strips on the windows (and nowhere else on the car) seems like a lot of work (post-factory) for the effect.

The rear bubble 'apron' had been removed and replaced with an older 'flat' type to accommodate dual tailpipes. The alarm system was removed, including the key on the front left side.

One other thing, there is a clock in place of the ashtray. The owner told me that it was originally from an Ultima Edicion, does anyone else know of clocks being in the Ultima Edicion.

Here are some photos, I thought I took more:

I really like the seats. The current owner replaced the doorcards, but he said the originals were black, covered with a beige material. They were damaged so he put the wood on (temporarily).

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hard to tell without looking closely but the chrome trim around the fixed windows could be flexible adhesive stuff (or they could simply have had the rubbers replaced). I also could be mistaken but the "ultima" plate and carbon trim on that clock looks home made.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
hard to tell without looking closely but the chrome trim around the fixed windows could be flexible adhesive stuff (or they could simply have had the rubbers replaced). I also could be mistaken but the "ultima" plate and carbon trim on that clock looks home made.

The chrome trim wasn't stick on, it was part of the rubber, ie like the older Beetles. The vent windows had been replaced (not original). It seems like a lot of work to replace the rubbers for the effect, but of course anything is possible when they did the mods on the car.

The owner did say that he placed the clock in the ashtray area, so the backing could be something he made. I haven't noticed any clocks on any photos I've ever seen of Ultima Edicion's interiors, so I'm wondering about the it. He said that it was removed from a Ultima Edicion that was in a wrecking yard. (Seems odd that an Ultima Edicion would even be left in a wrecking yard, unless it was completely destroyed).

I'm more curious about the clock, I may have to track one down, just to have one Smile .

Here's another angle of the car, with mine in the foreground. You can see the dual tailpipes and the chrome (also) on the back window:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
veedweeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I hope it's OK to post this here, but I understand if the mods remove it.

I've got a couple of Bugs - one is a heavily modified 1963 with a turbocharged waterboxer, but the other is a 2000 Mexican beetle. It's actually a special edition 'Sedan Clasico'

Anyway the point of this post is to draw attention to my youtube channel which will have plenty of mexibug content (it's a new channel and there are only a couple of vids at the moment). I'd love it if you had a look and let me have some feedback.

I'm doing the channel for my own pleasure really, but if others find it interesting then that just makes it even better.

The first video is here: https://youtu.be/5JaPeszfJmg

Thank you Smile
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

It's been a couple of days since I replaced the idle control valve with a spare that came with the car.
It doesn't stutter anymore, but now it idles faster than before (1200rpm). I'll scan it later to see what the computer shows.

I also did a compression test on cylinders 3 & 2, 3 was the one with the loose spark plug. #3: 60 psi, #2: 80 psi. After that I didn't want to know about 1 and 4, specially since I was using a friend's time and tools for it. Safe to say they're all worn by now. Probably P.O got a bad mechanic to rebuild it.

He told me it's likely that the rings are worn.
... And I thought I had got lucky with an actually usefull daily driver...

Not that I won't keep using it though. Fuel mileage will be poor though.

However, I don't see why this would make the exhaust smell like unburnt fuel. I'm clueless about it.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

does the car burn oil?
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I don’t see blue smoke, and the oil level hasn’t dropped at all since I changed it back in May
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 85 of 192

Jump to: