Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

75 Tub Bus Timemachine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

I’ve been working on the rear brakes lately. I need the pin and clip that holds the ebrake lever on the brake pad. Does anyone have 2 extra?

I also have a question about the rear brake pads. The backing plate doesn’t have holes for the springs and pins that hold the pad in place. Is this actually how they sit, just floating? I did take any pictures but probably know what I mean. The brake hardware springs?

Slow work but October seems to be “tub bus” month.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

I have holes for the pin and spring in my backing plate. Being used too. Mine are old and rusty, I wouldn't be surprised if they are original.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

Found this thread while searching about backing plates and the retaining springs!

Tcash wrote:
To link to this thread
Code:
[url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=595632&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=]Rear Brakes ID T2[/url]

Rear Brakes ID

Thanks to all for their contributions!

64-70 Shoes; 211-609-537E Size: 10" x 1-3/16" (250mm x 30mm)
Note 2 bottom return springs.
Note straight adjuster
Wheel Cylinder; 55-71 the same.
Brake Push Bar and Lever to 7/70.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1119010.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1119009.jpg

71 only shoes; 211-609-537J Size: 9-7/8" x 2-3/16" (248mm x 56mm) The difference between the 64-70 and 71 is the lining Length & Width
Note 1 lower return spring.
Note curved adjuster.

72 only shoes; 211-609-533B Size: 10" x 2-3/16" (250mm x 56mm)
Note e-brake spreader bar and lever are 72 only.
Wheel Cylinder; 72-79 the same (25mm bore).

Picture of 77.
73-79 Shoes; 211-609-537N Size: 9-7/8" x 2-3/16" (248mm x 56mm)
This is where it gets interesting. VW deleted the brake shoe retaining pins, springs and seats at some point. There was conflicting information on this subject. One member posted they where deleted in E74 and one posted 76.
Does anyone know when the retaining springs where deleted? Any corrections needed?

Click on picture to read text. Brake shoe visual cues.

Rear Backing Plates

Note: early 68 up to chassis #2x8 109 823 had a different backing plate.
L68-70 rear backing plate.

71-79 rear backing plates. Here again. VW deleted the brake shoe retaining pins, springs and seats at some point.

Another answer solved with some searching.

Now I just need to find the pin and clip that holds the Brake lever. Any good tricks to freeing the old cable from the backing plate?
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

My brother and I have made some progress with tub bus. We finally got the engine back together after many months of finding the right parts. Last weekend we installed the engine and trans. Put the axles back on. Finished the rear brakes.
How to properly install a bay window motor.

Still have to wire the fuel pump, and sort some electrical issues. This pig should be running soon.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

Whoop Whoop! Gonna be cruising soon!
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

I was finally able to hook up the fuel pump and everything sorted out and now it runs!

Link
[/url]
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

After installing the engine I noticed the engine wouldn’t hold an idle. After looking at the wiring diagram I noticed each carb was missing it’s electromagnetic idle jet. It just had 55 idle jets installed.

Ordered new ones on Busdepot and now it holds an idle. Now I just need to sync the carbs. I’ve got some reading on Ratwell to do.

So I installed the engine seal.

Earlier this week I finished the front brakes. New pads and rotors. Bleed the brakes and adjusted the rears. All new metal and hard lines.

orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

My brother and I finally did it. Tub Bus lives. The first time we tried to shift with the engine on it stalled hard! The shifter was stuck and we thought, oh no we messed up big somewhere. We replaced the shift coupler and it was still stuck. Then we jacked up the vehicle and spun the wheels. Success but now it was stuck in neutral. When the engine was running you couldn’t shift into gears. So we turned off the engine and put it in third gear and pushed the bus forward trying to dislodge the clutch. We figured it was stuck. Low and behold the engine turned! We assume the clutch was stuck on the input shaft and we were able to get it unstuck! Thank god.

Link

Link

60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

whoop whoop!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

Welp... after 3months of trouble shooting ignition issues, Jack got the motor running like a top.

Long story short, I ordered a rebuilt vw bosch distributor from BD and it ran good for about 150miles on the highway and city. After the 150 miles it kept burning up points, back firing, and running poorly. Finally took the BD rebuilt distributor out and realized it had Chinese condenser, points, and rotor. The points, rotor, and condenser had no markings on them so thats why I think they were Chinese. So I, ordered some NOS German ignition parts from Dave at Bug City in CT swapped out the bad Chinese crap from BD and now it runs like a top! Lesson learned here - buy nos ignition parts from Dave.

Here’s a photo from the pre-trip engine button up before leaving for Flanders. I did and oil change, switched over to 20-50, tighented all the sheet metal screws and stuff. Then I prayed to the gods for an uneventful 450mile trip from Mass. to DC.

I met up with Tom, Stan, Lucas, and Randy in Hartford and we made the easy trip to Flanders! No issues at all.

At Flanders, Schwinger helped me out tighten my alternator belt and I was good to go. Gibbs also hooked me up with the correct spare vw distributor! So I was ready to finish the remaining 200ish miles to DC.

Well, I made it!

It was a nerve racking trip, but the engine seemed to run better and better the closer I got to DC. The rings must have finally set and I cruised 55-60 the whole way.

Big shout out to my brother for doing all the mechanical work on this bus. And learning type-4 motors, dual carbs, and the other gremlins that go along with Baywindow buses. I cannot thank him enough. All his hard work resulted in zero trouble on the trip from Mass. to DC. Also big shoutout to thewalrus (Big Jack), Isgro, and Nate for their countless hours of help and cleaning parts. I’ll never forget that we spent 3-4hours during my bachelor party putting the motor together and cleaning cv joints and axels.

Next job is to clean out the shell, get the windows to stop leaking and install the full westy interior. Stayed tuned for more progress.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:
Also big shoutout to thewalrus (Big Jack), Isgro, and Nate for their countless hours of help and cleaning parts. I’ll never forget that we spent 3-4hours during my bachelor party putting the motor together and cleaning cv joints and axels.

Glad you had a safe trip man!! Keep the posts coming Cool
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

It will run forever if you keep it at 55-60. That pancake engine is really happy at that stress level.

Also good to keep it at that speed as you don't have shinola for brakes compared to ROW. Mom in her Soccer Van has ABS ESP OCD and VD and is going to stop a lot faster than you.
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

Sweet ride! Really surprised how solid that bus is for a New England ride (I grew up/lived on the South Shore - until about 2 years ago) so I’ve seen my fair share of projects too far gone.

I’d love to swing by and check it out next time I’m up that way, although I see it’s in DC now. Anyways subbed for updates. The high tops are pretty sweet. Cheers to a successful first trip
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

Photo cred for Crukab (Tom) and the only action shot of Tub Bus somewhere in CT or NJ last weekend heading to Flanders.

60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

Another action shot of Tub Bus crossing the Hudson River. Who knows the last time this bus crossed the Tappan Zee Bridge?

Photo Cred: Stanagon (Stan)

I've crossed this bridge more times than I can count, but this time, in Tub Bus was awesome. The weather was beautiful, Crukab (Tom) was driving in front of me, and about 3/4 of the way over the bridge, Crukab stuck his arm out the driver's side window and fist pump the air three times. And when I saw him do it, I had this feeling like he was rooting me and Tub Bus crossing the river. It was a great feeling. It's something I'll always remember and what a great feeling it was.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

Quote:
Another action shot of Tub Bus crossing the Hudson River. Who knows the last time this bus crossed the Tappan Zee Pete Seeger Bridge?

FTFY

He did a lot more for preserving that Valley than either Mr Tappan or Mr C.

Thanks for sharing that Journey!!
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

So the government shutdown has given me lots of time to make progress on Tub Bus. The first thing I had to do was sort out a flooding carb. Ended up being a stuck needle float valve. Thread on that fix here. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711514&highlight= it was running like crap afterwards. So I spent time rechecking that the carb was tightened down to the intake manifold and tightening the screws that hold the top of the carb to the base. Which sorted it all out. All in all, there must had been a huge vacuum leak. Checked to make sure the carbs were synchronized and we're good to go now.

Then I decided to give the sun visors and front head liner a wipe down with bleach and water to get rid of the nasty mold and gunk. Looking and smelling better now.

Then it was time to pull out the nasty foam padding and weird bathroom/shower walls off the fiberglass hightop.

Then I used 1-2-3 Primer and a quart of mis-tinted paint to get the fiberglass roof looking good to also get rid of the nasty mold and gunk.

While the ceiling was drying, I decided to test the A/C plug on the side the bus to see if it worked. It did not, so I removed the inside outlet and housing.

When I connect my extension cord to the plug, it has power on the back side. So I plan to re-wire and install a GCFI outlet in the bus somewhere (probably in the new panels I made). No plan on using the auxiliary battery converter or anything.

I also spent a lot of time reading about the Dometic refrigerators in multiple threads here on the samba. There are some mixed reviews, but I decided to remove the fridge innards and use the fridge as an cooler/ice box.

Long story short here, you have to take the whole cabinet apart to remove the fridge bits and pieces.

The other day, I wire wheeled the rusty spots on the floor and hit it with some rustoleum. It's so cold here in DC it took about 24hrs for it to dry.

Finally, I painted the floor and made some new interior panels panels with some scrap wood and left over stain/poly I had in the basement.

If this shutdown goes on any longer, I'll be ready to go camping by President's Day Weekend. Rolling Eyes #Endtheshutdown
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

Just caught up with this thread… Very nice work so far! I hope all the hard work pays off, because that's a lot of hard work. It's also nice to see another uneventful road trip with the factory dual carbs. I had many pleasant road trips with them in a Very similar bus out here on the west coast:

Thanks for bringing back good memories, and for sharing new ones!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

Kudos to you for bringing this dead bus back to life. I enjoyed your first drive videos as the engine sounded good. I agree with Robbie in that you and your brother put in a lot of work to accomplish this.

Well done. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Tub Bus Timemachine Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Kudos to you for bringing this dead bus back to life. I enjoyed your first drive videos as the engine sounded good. I agree with Robbie in that you and your brother put in a lot of work to accomplish this.

Well done. Wink

Thanks Bill, it's always easier and more fun when you have your best bud around helping you get a bus back on the road.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: