Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

air shocks Monroe or Gabriel
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
troyschwab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: air shocks Monroe or Gabriel Reply with quote

Hello everyone. i've been looking for some clear definitive answers on which air shocks i can use on my king pin front end. i'm a visual person so i figured i'd share a youtube video i've made to help clear some things up. if it helps you then great. i know there are many people here who know their sh!t and will certainly see something i've done wrong or called it something wrong etc. i just know that finding this video would have helped me out so I'm trying to share the little bits i've learned thus far. i will continue to post as i complete my little project.

here is a link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DYSbFyk6AA
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: air shocks Monroe or Gabriel Reply with quote

You need to stop watching that fucking idiot. After seeing how much material that he cut out of the trailing arm & the shock tower, he is case & point of what not to do with a car.

The shock towers were not designed to bear the weight of the car.

The interference issues are usually "remedied" by the lowered beam suppliers by moving the upper mount up & rearward in addition to mounting the shock upside down. The shock absorber is NOT designed to work upside down & moving the upper mount back causes interference with the tie rods.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
troyschwab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: air shocks Monroe or Gabriel Reply with quote

1st off. why would i be afraid to cut anything from my car when i have the ability to weld it back together? remember this is me trying to do research and figure it out as I go. how else do people learn? perhaps your are afraid to tear into things? fucking idiot seems like a pretty harsh way to say you disagree with what i'm doing. if you are an angry person by nature then best of luck to you, maybe you should not torment yourself by trolling forums? i'm simply trying to do someone else a favor by showing them what I've found.

by the way, i've been driving my car these last few days with no issues what so ever other than not having enough air in the small tank so i can play with it constantly.

my trailing arms had perhaps 1/8"- 1/4" sanded off of them with a flap disk sander and rounded nicely. that is in no way enough to cause any reason for concern.

my shocks are not upside down as you recommend and with the Gabriel i would not have needed to clearance anything as i mentioned in the video.

there for by watching the video i posted... someone would probably buy the Gabriels first and not the Monroe and not cut into their beam.

you see now what i did there TDCTDI????

regardless of you being a dick. i'm sure someone will find something in the video that will help them or save them some time. which is why i posted it. not to have some asshole wine about a video he didn't like.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: air shocks Monroe or Gabriel Reply with quote

OHH, that was YOU that ground down a trailing arm to gain clearance for aftermarket parts to achieve a look Shocked , sorry... NAH, I'm not sorry in the least, taking away material on vital suspension components is a REALLY fucking stupid thing to do. Unfortunately, I doubt that you'll edit your vid to say as much & some other kid will come along & think "This guy did it & posted it so it must be the way to do it"

Here's a screen shot...

"Only 1/8" - 1/4" of a part that's only 1" is ONLY 15-25% of the part's integrity (& it looks like you went deeper than that.). The only thing that you have going for you is the fact that it is no longer required to bear the weight of the vehicle since you have eliminated the spring pack (Or maybe you just lowered them) & are transmitting the load to the lower shock bolt.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
troyschwab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: air shocks Monroe or Gabriel Reply with quote

again.... the purpose of posting the video is to show people the Gabriel is a much better fit. had I seen these videos I would have purchased the Gabriel rather than the Monroe which every other post on the samba seems to suggest.

i was the guy following the forum and it led me down the wrong path. I found the Gabriel was a better option and that it would have worked without having to clearance anything.

so in short.... what i did can be chalked up to R&D. and i wanted to share my findings with the other people in the same boat.

I do agree, that photo makes it look like a lot was taken out but it is quite deceiving.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: air shocks Monroe or Gabriel Reply with quote

Shimming shocks sideways for clearance? I vote hack. A well respected racer showed the world how I did my shock mounts wrong, I did not waste any time cutting them out and doing it right. And then I thanked him.
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: air shocks Monroe or Gabriel Reply with quote

I hope you don't drive this on the street, or anywhere around other people... That arm is ruined.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
62L41Sedan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: air shocks Monroe or Gabriel Reply with quote

I've searched (for those who get upset when they see a repeat question) ... but I'm just looking for an air shock that would "plug and play" on the front suspension. Not looking at modifying the shock towers or cutting anything off. I have a 65 frame on a 68 Deserter Dune Buggy and I'd just like the ability to raise/lower the front end as needed. Thanks for any advice.
1965 Deserter Dune Buggy (1968 kit/1977 engine)
1969 VW Squareback (L40)-Automatic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: air shocks Monroe or Gabriel Reply with quote

62L41Sedan wrote:
I've searched (for those who get upset when they see a repeat question) ... but I'm just looking for an air shock that would "plug and play" on the front suspension. Not looking at modifying the shock towers or cutting anything off. I have a 65 frame on a 68 Deserter Dune Buggy and I'd just like the ability to raise/lower the front end as needed. Thanks for any advice.

there isn't. it's not that simple. If it were, these companies air beams wouldnt be 3K. I'm not saying you cant do it for much much much less, but it is not as simple as adding air shocks on the front to get it to go up. You have torsion bars to deal with, and they will fight your air shocks
troyschwab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: air shocks Monroe or Gabriel Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
62L41Sedan wrote:

there isn't. it's not that simple. If it were, these companies air beams wouldnt be 3K. I'm not saying you cant do it for much much much less, but it is not as simple as adding air shocks on the front to get it to go up. You have torsion bars to deal with, and they will fight your air shocks

Hey guys,

my original reason for this post was to answer 62L41sedan's exact question. i didn't care about cutting my beam up because even if i ruined it I have others...... anyway that TCDI guy is a dick i'd just like to say. He completely misunderstood the reason behind me starting this. the Gabriel will do exactly what you are looking to do 62L41. they will bolt right up. no mods needed. i intend to make a couple more videos explaining this.

now with the angle of the shock you don't get all that much ride height adjustment. maybe 2-3" but then again i'm only maxing my air pressure at 140 PSI. the ride improved tremendously. but i want more!!!! i will be doing drop spindles and the shock re-locators. I finally got my reamer to do the spindles and my lower shock mount re locators arrived from limebug.com

if you want to just slap some air shocks on then go to autozone and buy the gabriels.... and some beer and you'll be happy. i promise.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: air shocks Monroe or Gabriel Reply with quote

troyschwab wrote:
anyway that TCDI guy is a dick i'd just like to say.

Aww, did I hurt your wittle feewings? Get over it! What you did in an attempt to hack that crap into your car is dangerous, PERIOD! Making your little instructional/comparison video should have started out with "Do not do this to make this piece of shit fit your car.".

Posting a how to video that does not clearly explain why it is not wise to compromise the structural integrity of key suspension components may lead to some other new/young enthusiast to make the same mistakes.

I suggest that you delete your original video, then make a new one CLEARLY explaining what your intention of the video is & then show the viewer what you did an why NOT to do it.

If calling out your stupidity makes me a dick then you're probably gonna start coming up with a lot more names because THAT sir, was an incredibly stupid thing to do.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: