Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greggarthurevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this? Reply with quote

wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks to photogdave for this photo in a Autohomes hightop he rented in Scotland. This is a gas broiler under a gas burner.

I am definitely going to replace my westy set up with this on a custom cabinet.

Has anyone seen a broiler like this for sale or suggest how to cobble it together?

Broiling might be the ultimate Vanagon camping method agree/disagree?
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this? Reply with quote

Looks similar to a propane oven like this one, although it has no broiling capability: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013LLSZG/
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this? Reply with quote

Aussie stuff...

https://www.rvpartsexpress.com.au/appliances/cooking-appliances/stove-grill.html
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this? Reply with quote

I enjoy food. I enjoy cooking good food at home. I enjoy seeking out recipes, seeking out new places to buy ingredients, carefully selecting ingredients, preparing ingredients and cooking up a steamy hot delight...at home. I have cooked up some good grub on the exhaust manifold while driving.

But mostly when I'm camping my focus changes. Dutch oven cooking? Way too complicated (gear, fires, etc.). Buying and hauling ingredients while on the road? I go to the best grocery (too often it's an airport sized Safeway in the town we're passing through) in the neighborhood and fill the basket with essentials.

Broiling while camping? In my feeble mind that's like making ice cream while roofing a house: a good thing on its own but a complicated distraction from the task at hand.

You asked. FWIW, YMMV. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

Broiling while camping? In my feeble mind that's like making ice cream while roofing a house: a good thing on its own but a complicated distraction from the task at hand.

You asked. FWIW, YMMV. Very Happy

It's basically a toaster oven. It opens up more possibilities with ingredients one is likely to already have on-hand when camping.
Bread, cheese, tomatoes...

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this? Reply with quote

Broiled brussels sprouts (I made some tonight). Mmmmm.... I can be convinced but I'm pretty averse to new camp kitchen things. Except the truck fridge. I'd never give that up.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
greggarthurevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this? Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:
Looks similar to a propane oven like this one, although it has no broiling capability: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013LLSZG/
this seems to have all the parts. Its close.
greggarthurevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this? Reply with quote

All the stoves on this thread have burners on the bottom. I'm leaning towards taking an electric toaster oven apart and adding a few extra scooter batteries behind the lower shelf. Or perhaps play with turning a propane burner upside down.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this? Reply with quote

For about 80 bucks you can get a Coleman with burner and grill, side by side.

Moreover, you can cook outside so your Van won't smell.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Moreover, you can cook outside so your Van won't smell.

This was important to us, hence the Pop-top Weekender!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this? Reply with quote

greggarthurevans wrote:
All the stoves on this thread have burners on the bottom. I'm leaning towards taking an electric toaster oven apart and adding a few extra scooter batteries behind the lower shelf. Or perhaps play with turning a propane burner upside down.

Shocked you should keep the burner right side up and mount a plate over it to reflect the heat down ward. Personally went with the camp chief and an extension hose so I could set it on a picnic table.

[img]

[/img]

Also put a 110v elect heat below that doubles as a cabinet door , and to the left is a double hinged cabinet door that doubles as a short table between the walk way.- So many ways to save space when customizing your ride.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this? Reply with quote

I used to put these into campers I home built back in England.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yellowstone-Outdoor-Doubl...with+grill

Funny they don't seem available here.
I take that back, a lot more expensive here.

https://www.amazon.com/YELLOWSTONE-DOUBLE-BURNER-G...ble+burner

619 201 0310
greggarthurevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this? Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
I used to put these into campers I home built back in England.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yellowstone-Outdoor-Doubl...with+grill

Funny they don't seem available here.
I take that back, a lot more expensive here.

https://www.amazon.com/YELLOWSTONE-DOUBLE-BURNER-G...ble+burner

Exactly what I was looking for and so cheap! this changes all of my cobbling plans. Thanks Markswagen!
greggarthurevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this? Reply with quote

Wow the price just jumped up to 150. There are many versions of this in UK. and AUS. Looks like some cheap versions came and went in US with poor quality reviews. Unfortunately every version of this layout is about 4 inches longer than I can use. I need a full length back seat so my stove sink length is limited.

I think I am going to look at building a tiny electric broiler and mounting it somewhere. Perhaps I will put a computer fan in it to blow warm air at me in the morning.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this? Reply with quote

bah, why take up so much space,
go hand held
https://www.eater.com/2013/11/22/6325359/dave-arno...-hand-held
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greggarthurevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
bah, why take up so much space,
go hand held
https://www.eater.com/2013/11/22/6325359/dave-arno...-hand-held

My two year old is very grabby
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this? Reply with quote

my brother once grabbed the top of the coleman lantern when he was young..

only once though.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this? Reply with quote

I love cooking while camping.
Last year I made sushi on the beach in mexico from freshly caught skipjack tuna.

This year I am bringing "El Disco" (the dish traditionally made on this is called discada )the mexican wok so I can do blackened snapper and other dishes right on the beach.
For me van camping is a great excuse to spend all day making one amazing meal.
greggarthurevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this? Reply with quote

if finally did buy this:

https://www.campingworld.co.uk/en/Go-System-Dynasty-Trio-Triple-Burner/m-22002.aspx

One of the few ways to get one to the US.
Based on the Amazon uk. reviews I think I can use it for parts to build what I want.

Does it makes sense? probably not but I am fixated and I want to have fun while my van is getting worked on and repainted.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen a camper burner/broiler like this? Reply with quote

That'll do the job nicely, back when I converted vans, I started with a stove and a sink, they dictated how wide the bed could be.
I was not a fan of the west lay out, as I felt moving all of my belongings every night, to go to sleep, is a PITA.

619 201 0310
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: