Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'93 Eurovan 5cyl total power loss while driving
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stickshiftcayenne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: '93 Eurovan 5cyl total power loss while driving Reply with quote

Was doing 78mph cruise control on mid afternoon, so it was hot out. Van looses total power, tried pressing gas, RPMs just went to zero. Couldn't get it to start. Had it towed to a shop, It started right up and they couldn't get it to repeat. The said they thought The Crankshaft sensor was going bad and overheating causing shut off. I continued my trip and same thing happened 1 more time, same time of day and started 30 mins later.

Before I could take to my mechanic, this happened again. This time the oil pressure light was flashing (oil was fine), and when I put foot on gas it acted like it was trying to go but not getting any gas.

Got home and took to my mechanic and he thinks its either the sensor or possibly the fuel pump going bad. My thought is to replace the sensor, fuel pump and filter and do a tune up and hope that fixes it.

Thoughts?
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '93 Eurovan 5cyl total power loss while driving Reply with quote

My 1992 did the same thing. It would shut off, then get progressively worse shutting off more and more.

It stumped the mechs and me an I started throwing parts to try and fix. Turned out it was a failing/failed hall effect sensor.

IIRC if the tachometer needle doesn't jump up and down a bit when cranking you have a faulty hall effect sensor as the signal comes from the same circuit.
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: '93 Eurovan 5cyl total power loss while driving Reply with quote

Didn't know there was crank sensor on 1993.
Had similar issue when coil pack failed
jswinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '93 Eurovan 5cyl total power loss while driving Reply with quote

Same problem with 93 eurovan. Replaced fuel pump with new OEM. replaced filter. Replaced fuel pump switch. Replace distributor. Can't find a crankshaft sensor, but there is authority out there that blames the crankshaft sensor. If I could find one I would replace it. Mine runs and starts perfectly. After an hour on the interstate it will shut off. Was stranded in Missouri when discovered it would run after cooling down. So drove home to Gainesville at night so all was well. Next day (September 20, 2018) headed for Vero during the day. Ran perfect and then cut off in Ocala. Want to try crankshaft sensor but can't find one in the civilized world. Anyone have a suggestion or a sensor?
John
Chefwalt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: '93 Eurovan 5cyl total power loss while driving Reply with quote

jswinnie wrote:
Same problem with 93 eurovan. Replaced fuel pump with new OEM. replaced filter. Replaced fuel pump switch. Replace distributor. Can't find a crankshaft sensor, but there is authority out there that blames the crankshaft sensor. If I could find one I would replace it. Mine runs and starts perfectly. After an hour on the interstate it will shut off. Was stranded in Missouri when discovered it would run after cooling down. So drove home to Gainesville at night so all was well. Next day (September 20, 2018) headed for Vero during the day. Ran perfect and then cut off in Ocala. Want to try crankshaft sensor but can't find one in the civilized world. Anyone have a suggestion or a sensor?
John

Have you called BusDepot.com? They can get their hands on a
cps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: '93 Eurovan 5cyl total power loss while driving Reply with quote

jswinnie wrote:
John

I'm hoping someone else might correct me if I am wrong, but based on my understanding of the digifant system, timing is checked by the ECU via the camshaft position with the Hall Effect Sender, and not a separate crankshaft position sensor (like what one would typically find on a later model OBDII system...). This would explain why you can't find one...

When you replaced the distributor, did you replace the Hall Sender as well? There have been a fair number of other threads showing this as the cause of ignition issues, particularly stalling, shut off, etc. (not to say this is the exact cause of your issue, but this should be the part you are looking for)

https://europarts-sd.com/halleffectsender1992-1995.asp
http://www.busdepot.com/1237031296

There are some other threads out there similar to your problem.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=425798&highlight=stall
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68565&highlight=stall+highway

I'm not sure if this will truly help, but since you had not gotten a response I wanted to chime in a little...any other 5 cylinder folks have a thought?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '93 Eurovan 5cyl total power loss while driving Reply with quote

No CPS sensor that I have seen, ditto hall effect sensor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: