Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to remove part of the dashboard off of a 1971 VW Bus Cam
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lydia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: How to remove part of the dashboard off of a 1971 VW Bus Cam Reply with quote

All the screws are out. The only limitation is not damaging the vent tabs. Is it possible to remove part of the dash without removing the whole dash? I guess it is called the Instrument Panel that I am trying to remove.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are "vent tabs"? Are you talking about the instrument cluster? That can be pulled out after unscrewing the speedometer cable
and removing the heater/vent control arm extensions. The attached wires will not allow it to come out very far, let alone the
steering wheel. The dash itself is one large chunk that goes from one side of the cab to the other.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
The dash itself is three large chunks that go from one side of the cab to the other.

Fixed it for ya. '

Once you remove the heat levers, the speedo cable from the back, and the 4 phillips head screws, the instrument cluster will pull out far enough to be able to change bulbs or look at wiring. If you want to remove it altogether, just start disconnecting the wires one by one as you label them. Your service manual or a quick search of the forum will give you some pics on how to do it.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tricky part is removing the heat and vent levers. Instructions are in your service manual. Bus Daddy has posted important help on the lever removal quite a few times. Maybe he will do it again. Laughing
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Maybe he will do it again. Laughing

No, I'm going over to readers rides to look at the Snorklestang thread and then I might have a nap on the couch Razz

But to make things simple use a 7 or 8mm socket to push the plastic plugs out of the levers and disconnect the battery first Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my head and chest hurts. I am going to nap now. Will someone wake me up when the wires are hooked back up correctly?
brookmp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the small font Busdaddy. You're so funny! Very Happy
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
my head and chest hurts.

Why? Are you just coming off your pain pills from the surgery? Is recovery going well?
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean like this? I know about pain as of late I just pasted 2 yes count them 2 Shocked Shocked kidney stones last week and yesterday I think I feel another one coming. Confused

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bruehoyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove part of the dashboard off of a 1971 VW Bus Cam Reply with quote

I realize this thread is old, but I was looking for how to remove the vent tabs as well. So I am perplexed at the responses acting like that is a dumb thing to say. And the responses that say to just push out the plastic pins, read your manual and busdaddy has already answered this - simply are not answers.

They are vent tabs. -the tabs that control the vents
Saying "Where" the plastic pins are would be helpful.
The Bentley manual gives no detail.
Bus daddy's answer didn't come up in a search this did. (you could have linked to it if it was answered) - I appreciate busdaddy's answer.

Why, if you don't have an answer, do you post?

I have completed the task. Here is what you need to know.

1. lay on your back and reach up into the underside of the dash.
move the vent levers up or down to give the best access and get some light up there
2. I used a long slender flat head to get under the head of the off white plastic pins or clips and pried them out.
3. pull the levers out of the front of the dash by pulling the red and blue vent tabs. There is another metal spacer in the channel. keep track of it comes out or loose.

4.unscrew the 4 phillips screws on the dash face. instrument panel is free.

to replace

1. screw in the 4 phillips screws
2. ensure vent arm spacers are in correctly. you may need to old them in place one at a time as you install vent tabs.
3. slide the vent tabs in the same place they came out. I had to push the slots a little to line them up. i also had to hold a couple of the spacers in place as I slid in the tab.
4. feel for the hole to be lined up then reach up and push the pins in. IF you get them lined up, the go in with some thumb force. you may want to reach some tool up there to squeeze them. i was able to do it by hand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove part of the dashboard off of a 1971 VW Bus Cam Reply with quote

man talk about digging up the dead just to answer a six year old question? OK I guess.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove part of the dashboard off of a 1971 VW Bus Cam Reply with quote

The original post was incomprehensible. The responses were very reasonable attempts to get the OP to explain him/herself.
We still don't know what he/she meant by "vent tabs", or what he/she was trying to accomplish, because the OP abandoned the thread he/she started. I guess we now know what member "bruehoyt" means by "vent tabs". No doubt the road to enlightenment
comes in tiny baby steps.

bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove part of the dashboard off of a 1971 VW Bus Cam Reply with quote

ya I saw that.As for me there levers.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove part of the dashboard off of a 1971 VW Bus Cam Reply with quote

bigbore wrote:
ya I saw that.As for me there levers.

I was thinking the same. old thread. Levers. Heat and Vent L-E-V-E-R-S.

No one ever said what year the bus was. That was material. Late ones just pull off - no need to lay on back. It can all be done while sitting in the driver's seat.

Tim & Furgo - please put your hands over your eyes. To he who revived this thread, your intentions were fine but please do not do a TCash or Furgo on us. They already own the How-To market here. Laughing

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove part of the dashboard off of a 1971 VW Bus Cam Reply with quote

bruehoyt wrote:
…There is another metal spacer in the channel. keep track of it comes out or loose.…

If you don't disconnect the battery first, you'll be lucky if they JUST come loose……… Razz

For the record, if you put a little extra bend in the metal 'preloading' tab spacers, you won't need to reinstall the Plastic Hell Clips.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove part of the dashboard off of a 1971 VW Bus Cam Reply with quote

If you come to the internet to be spoon fed the answer to your car problem, you are in the wrong place. The wealth of knowledge here doesn't just happen, it was acquired by 10,000 hours of equity, and is shared here on the experts' good graces.

If you don't first look at your problem, get some understanding, learn the names of the pieces, or use good language skills to communicate clearly, your access to the expertise will be limited.

In about ten minutes of reading, you can detect the tone here. Just like entering a party, you don't walk in the door and yell out to everyone you need a job...its called WORKING a room for a reason.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove part of the dashboard off of a 1971 VW Bus Cam Reply with quote

bruehoyt wrote:
1. lay on your back and reach up into the underside of the dash..

My Chiropractor and I have concluded that doing this is not a good idea.
Quote:

So what are those arrows pointing at in fig. 10-1 in section 1, paragraph 10?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove part of the dashboard off of a 1971 VW Bus Cam Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
bruehoyt wrote:
1. lay on your back and reach up into the underside of the dash..

My Chiropractor and I have concluded that doing this is not a good idea.
Quote:

So what are those arrows pointing at in fig. 10-1 in section 1, paragraph 10?

I am thinking that VW ran out of war wounded staff who could bend that way so they had to make the change to Levers that just pulled off. Even in my 20's I was never limber enough to tolerate getting to those clips more than once on my 1971. One has no idea how joyed I was on my 1977 to learn of that change because I was just dreading those early levers.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove part of the dashboard off of a 1971 VW Bus Cam Reply with quote

Eh, when you lose those clips by changing to a late bus, you are rewarded with the little punk clips that hold the whole cluster into the dash instead of four self-centering screws.

Out of the frying pan, into the fire?
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove part of the dashboard off of a 1971 VW Bus Cam Reply with quote

DING DING DING we have a WENNER so for posting one more then the original thread YOU asiab3 you win a cookie-----where shall I send it too?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: