Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is The OE Air Cleaner Restrictive?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KoMbI19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Is The OE Air Cleaner Restrictive? Reply with quote

Hey all, this might be a funny question, but i'm curious about this and how it will affect my performance.

I just swapped out my old coil for a 40,000 oil-filled flamethrower unit and today i'll be installing my new dizzy with vac advance and electronic points to eliminate the dead spot. Also have a carb rebuild kit on order for my stock Solex that's been sitting in my box of parts I got with the Ghia when I bought it. It currently has a cheap aftermarket carb on it and the adjustment screws are giving me fits, so i'd like to return to stock there.

However with all that improvement to the ignition system and hopefully to the fuel system, I want to make sure its getting the air flow it needs intake-wise.
I still have the stock charcoal canister and oil bath filter on it, and I like the stock look but I don't think its worth sacrificing performance if it's restricting airflow. Does anyone know if there's a real difference if I were to install an aftermarket round air cleaner as opposed to my stock airbox assembly?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The OE Air Cleaner Restrictive? Reply with quote

With the stock carburetor & stock muffler, not so much. Once you start going with a larger carb, higher flow exhaust & larger displacement then yes. Those crappy round filters do a decent job of straining out the gravel but not anything much finer. They do however, do a wonderful job of funneling water into the carb.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The OE Air Cleaner Restrictive? Reply with quote

Stock Air Cleaner modification from the Ghia "How To" Stickies... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424278
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The OE Air Cleaner Restrictive? Reply with quote

The oil bath filter is almost non restrictive and because all the air has to pass through the oil to numerous large holes to the carb all dust and other nasty stuff is caught in the oil (if you add up the volume of those holes it is greater than the area of your carb throat). I use Auto Trans. Fluid as it is like 5W oil and you can tell when it gets dirty. As long as you clean the mesh, keep oil up to level, and change it when you change the motor oil it will flow all the air that will fit down that little carb. Any moisture in the carb is caused by short drives or just running in the drive way for 10 min.s as nothing gets up to operating temp to evaporate the moisture, it's not the filters fault.
KoMbI19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Is The OE Air Cleaner Restrictive? Reply with quote

Great, thanks for the replies. I'll be leaving it on, then. I left it on my old 73 Super and I didn't notice much difference, so for originalities sake I guess it'll be sticking around.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: