Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: 88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work? Reply with quote

I'm looking through Craigslist and other sources, and the 1998-2000 CLK320 wheels are (very) hard to find for <$500/set.

I see many other Mercedes wheels that are 7j X 16 ET 34 dimensions, 5 x 112 bolt pattern, 66.6 mm center hole and M12 x 1.5 bolt.

For example, there are four 1992 300 SL chrome wheels for $60 on local CL, they have the above specs. Dirty and chrome is pitted, but I'd have them blasted then I'd polish or powdercoat.

It seems like they'd work on the Vanagon, which I think has stock wheels 5.5j x 14 ET 35, 5 x 112, 66.6 mm, M14 x 1,5.

I am assuming that I should stick to 7" wide rims and steer away from 8" wide rims.

Thoughts?

FYI I'm using this database https://www.wheel-size.com/size/
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work? Reply with quote

Sounds about right going with 16x7's.

Chris at T3 Technique can help you out to safely run the correct hardware.

I'm running the 01-03 CLK320 rims on my van.

Last edited by shagginwagon83 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work? Reply with quote

Those should work. You'll need to drill out the lug holes and possibly run with a 4mm spacer up front. T3 Technique can provide you the best advice and source the 14mm lug bolts/studs/nuts you'll need, as your Vanagon versions have the wrong ballseat profile.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work? Reply with quote

These are the T3 lugs that fit the CLK wheels but your wheels might have thicker webs, requiring longer bolts and studs. Changing the studs makes for more work, so proceed accordingly. CLKs that cost more might be a better deal overall but that sounds like a crazy good deal on the wheels you found.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work? Reply with quote

Stock is et 30, so 195 and 205 will have lots of room, 215 will be getting pretty close on an et 34 but may not rub. Won't be able to run chains.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
jyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work? Reply with quote

Okay, I'm going to get them, for $60 I'm not risking much.

I'll make sure they fit before refinishing.

Polish or powder black? What would you do?
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: 88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work? Reply with quote

jyl wrote:

Polish or powder black? What would you do?

Depends on van color. I'm going to paint mine a dull silver color. Not for everyone, but I don't want shiny (nothing wrong with that BTW, just not for me).

I was going to go with a day gray-metal color, but my wife thinks that will be poor on my gold-ish van. So maybe, I shouldn't pipe in here about color Laughing
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work? Reply with quote

Make sure those rims arent bent and out of round. Sometimes hard to tell but Ive purchased rims from a salvage yard that were in the end not usable due to some out-of-round characteristics. I didnt see it my preferred shop did. They wrote me a letter and facilitated getting my loot back. $60 isnt too much to risk but if its CL there are not usually friendly 90 day return policies.
Best of luck to ya.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work? Reply with quote

My advice would be to invest in conversion studs for the front wheels, may cost you a few extra $$, the first time you get a flat on the front, at night in the rain, you will wish you had conversion studs.

619 201 0310
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work? Reply with quote

jyl wrote:

I see many other Mercedes wheels that are 7j X 16 ET 34 dimensions, 5 x 112 bolt pattern, 66.6 mm center hole and M12 x 1.5 bolt.

You will want to double check those specs. If 16x7 ET34 Mercedes wheels were available, everyone would be scrambling for them. Truth is, to the best of my knowledge, there are no 16x7 ET34 MB wheels that were ever offered here in the US and there is only one or two with those specs that were offered in Europe and never officially imported to the US. Many sellers have no idea what wheels they have. They do a quick internet search, see something similar to what they have and use those specs. Mercedes offered many, many wheels that all look nearly identical, but were offered in many different sizes and specs. The lessen is - buyer beware!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work? Reply with quote

Probably the least expensive set of wheels will be sold by the vendors that don't need any special hardware or adapters. I found a set of Mercedes wheels for $200 but then spent another $250 on hardware and spacers to make them work. $400 on rims plus $200 on hardware puts you at the same price as GW sells their rims. You may not save money in the long run.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work? Reply with quote

It is debatable that the Mercedes Rims are higher quality + lighter in weight.

Most Mercedes rims at $200 for a set need refinished.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work? Reply with quote

MB rims are certainly higher quality than the aftermarket Chinese rims offered by various vendors. Then again, so are VAG rims.

My SLK 16" rims were nearly brand new "take-offs" with less than 500 miles on them. I paid $200

y u rune klassik?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
It is debatable that the Mercedes Rims are higher quality + lighter in weight.

If you are comparing them to any of the aftermarket alloy wheels being sold as "bolt on" for a Vanagon, it is not debatable that the original Mercedes wheels are much, much higher quality. It is fact!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work? Reply with quote

15" Mercedes AMG wheels - $200 off CL - no refinishing required. The size is not desirable so low prices can be found. I assume AMG wheels are very high quality.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work? Reply with quote

Those look sharp on a van.

y u rune klassik?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work? Reply with quote

Yeah I dig those AMG wheels a lot.

These below are nice too

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
15" Mercedes AMG wheels - $200 off CL - no refinishing required. The size is not desirable so low prices can be found. I assume AMG wheels are very high quality.

Those wheels look great!!

The 16 x 7 steel wheels are pretty inexpensive and fit very well.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work? Reply with quote

The silver wheel on the flash silver van that shaggin posted is mine. I did a write up in the ultimate wheel thread, page 150. Very Happy
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 88 2WD Vanagon - Will These MBZ Wheels Work? Reply with quote

jordauto wrote:
The silver wheel on the flash silver van that shaggin posted is mine. I did a write up in the ultimate wheel thread, page 150. Very Happy

Sorry I didn't mention your name. I'm hunting for a set myself!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8807757&highlight=#8807757
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: