Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 westy project
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
snoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: 78 westy project Reply with quote

hi guys I was looking for advise on a westy I found, I found a 78 westy campmobile, rusty quarters, rusy step, floors look good, engine turns over, don't run, interior looks fairly decent, frame and floors look good, has a rusty front beam. they are asking 2000 is it worth that? hasn't been on the road since the 90s, I will try to get some pics up. is a front beam hard to find? trying to decide, thx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: 78 westy project Reply with quote

Here's a beam for sale...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2209221

As for the "worth", that's a decision you have to make. To me, the value is less due to the amount of rust and my inability to replace the metal. If you have the skills to do it, it may be worth it to you.

But as savvy Sambanistas have said in the past, there is 3-4 times more rust that you can't see.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 westy project Reply with quote

snoman wrote:
hi guys I was looking for advise on a westy I found, I found a 78 westy campmobile, rusty quarters, rusy step, floors look good, engine turns over, don't run, interior looks fairly decent, frame and floors look good, has a rusty front beam. they are asking 2000 is it worth that? hasn't been on the road since the 90s, I will try to get some pics up. is a front beam hard to find? trying to decide, thx

It's never worth the 'asking' price. It just depends on how much time and money you want to put into it.

For the amount of rust your talking about, esp if this thing saw WI salt, it might be worth $1500 if you just want to ride it into the ground and have some fun camping. Those are totally fun project vehicles to own/use.

If you have dreams of making it nice and shiny and fixing all the things - you'll put way more money into it than you would spend buying one that's already done (or close to it.)
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 westy project Reply with quote

If you are able to walk around the floor area then it is still good. From your description, it sounds like all it just needs is a running engine for it to be on the road.

How bad is the rust in the front beam? I have seen front beams being sold during the OCTO & El Prado shows in Southern Calif.

If the price tag is between $1500-$2k then I would say it is a good buy.

Post some pictures so that the whole class can see what you are about to get yourself into 
1971 Deluxe bus
1969 Bus
1962 Bug
1963 Bug
"Rust free" means Rust is FREE. The rest is junk.
snoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 78 westy project Reply with quote

Hi Guys, sorry I didn't get back right away, Well I got the 78 westy, solid floors, nice interior, little rusty,drivers rear quarter rusty, rusty front inner fenders, rust on the front dog legs and steps both sides, someone took the fuel injection off, and put solex dual carbs on and didn't hook up the linkage yet or fuel lines, my question is should I get the stock fuel injection going again? It came with the stock intake injection tubes, airbox, air flow sensor, and tubing, missing throttle body and computer and injectors and harness, or should I run the solexs? I like the simplicity of a carb. engine, but are the solexes gonna be to small for the 2.0 liter engine?
snoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 78 westy project Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

snoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 78 westy project Reply with quote

I cleaned it alittle, needs tons more, stinks inside, need to wash all upholstery, their was tons of mouse crap everywhere, got that vacummed out still smells, any washing idea?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 78 westy project Reply with quote

Hey, congratulated snoman! That's going to clean up nicely, and it has a great interior.

As for the carb vs FI debate, my vote is for FI. Mine had carbs when I bought it, but Calif required FI since it was on there originally. It was difficult finding all the parts, but FI is pretty simple once you understand the interaction between the various components.

The best feature on the later late bays (in my opinion) is the swivel front passenger seat. I bet you're going to have a lot of fun with your new toy!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Our79Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 78 westy project Reply with quote

Welcome to the one percent Smile congratulations on your new partner in time...sure looks like you have a beautiful pallette of many decisions...I know when i first adopted mine I found various solutions here in TS...I've had my bus for 6 years now ( and lurking Smile on TS just as long) Everyone i meet loves my bus, and it is really part of the family, although no oNE loves it more than me! There's barely an inch of my bus that I haven't touched to "fix" this or that...as you will discover with yours too.

to be safe in your new acquaintance there's so much to do. serve yourself a great deal of patience whenever you delve into your 40 year old vintage vehicle as too much of it is NLA...

please keep us posted on your progress and picture us up the details and conundrums that will inevitably arise Smile

again welcome to the forum and happy bussing.

See the most up to date status of Constance on YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCvO1ZedS22IepvvRYaTxiPQ

My 1979 Westfalia Campmobile's sundry Tales of Constance
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620965

1990 Vanagon, Red, Driven 70,000 miles till sold.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: