Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve Geometry Wrong, Or Am I?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Geometry Wrong, Or Am I? Reply with quote

I'm using a dial gauge on the spring retainer. I had removed the dial gauge in this picture to get a better look at the valve.

67rustavenger wrote:
Red5 wrote:
Moving on, here's the valve set to the correct half height (.245) and the rocker ball set correctly on the flat side (I have the feeling I'm never going to live that mistake down).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks to me like I'll need significantly more lift as Mark Tucker suggested (.040 - .060). I'll start there and see how things look. Thanks again.

How are you measuring the valve lift?
By degree's on the pulley or with a dial indicator on the valve retainer?

This is a very precise part of engine building. Get it incorrect. Things go bad. Get it correct and life is good.

Good Luck.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Geometry Wrong, Or Am I? Reply with quote

the cb 125b rockers are the best rocker of that type Ive seen,I do not remember how much I removed from the rocker to let the adjuster go up farther. I set all my engines up with a max of 1/2 turn out from seated agnist the rocker. and yes use soft springs so the rocker can slide across the valve tip so you can see whats it's doing. a still spring will not let it slide, but rather bend the valve stem over(flex's it,it dosent stay bent). if those type rockers are to low they tend to push outward at the bigining of the lift cycle then start more of the down ward path.(the oe1.1 seems to be worse at this from the ones Ive set up). thats where I found the .040~.060 shim with the back cut rocker&1/2 turn out works best. but thats on the engines I built. yours may be different, and I use lash caps on every engine I build(except for 2 stroke&rotary) . with the soft spring and some oil on tip you can see the adjuster slide out more than it is pushing down when the rocker is too low...but there are many factors to be taken into account.... not all heads are created equal.mofo has diferent stud/rocker location, some varation in valve stem hight inrelasionship to the rocker blocks also comes in to play. thus there is NO this works ,or this is the way it has to be. I do not agree with the inline/1/2 lift method, but in some instances with some parts and no way to modify the parts that may have to be done...that dosent make it right. yes I do like the "inline" past half lift. how much past depends....on a lot of things. when CB re engineered these I wish cb had re engineered these rockers with longer piviot length and offset shafts...but they did not and I understand why...somewhat. they did a great job non the less.and they just about made them so there is zero pushrod geo isues....so they can be set up for rocker/valve geo as they should be set up. other wize...oh never mind.they are a far suppior rocker, not just more ratio or stronger copy.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Geometry Wrong, Or Am I? Reply with quote

The problem with Marks suggestion to have the adjuster in line at max lift, is it puts max wear on the valve guide, when the valve is fully open. Remember, the valve is at max lift just as many times as it is closed.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Geometry Wrong, Or Am I? Reply with quote

Quote:
to have the adjuster in line at max lift, is it puts max wear on the valve guide, when the valve is fully open.

I meant max wear when the valve is closed Very Happy
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Geometry Wrong, Or Am I? Reply with quote

How does it wear closed? Put 100 lbs on your arm bent and then straight. I know which one I would prefer..
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Geometry Wrong, Or Am I? Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Quote:
to have the adjuster in line at max lift, is it puts max wear on the valve guide, when the valve is fully open.

I meant max wear when the valve is closed Very Happy

If Mark's theory is . . . have less side thrust on the valve tip when the spring pressure has increased . . . at the cost of additional side thrust while the spring pressure is less . . . it sure makes sense to err on the side of being PAST half lift when setting the geometry.

Did Mark mention having the adjuster parallel/inline at MAX lift?
mark tucker wrote:
. . . yes I do like the "inline" past half lift. how much past depends....on a lot of things.

I hope Mark will expound on the variables involved . . .
Red5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Geometry Wrong, Or Am I? Reply with quote

Its evident from the number of posts and advice this thread has generated that valve geometry is not something you can just jump into. I thought I had read up enough on the subject to tackle it. If I had not posted this question, I would have undoubtedly screwed up my valves and possibly the entire engine.

While I'm waiting for my additional shims to show up, I'll be taking a much closer look at the techniques used to get the geometry correct. I thought I had done my homework, but I see now that I really had just scratched the surface.

I will also cut down the rockers as suggested by 74 Thing and others. I've done some Googling and have not found much on the subject. If anyone has link detailing that process I'd love to see it. Smile
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Geometry Wrong, Or Am I? Reply with quote

What's your actual total lift at the valve on all eight?

I'm curious to see the amount of variation in these rockers through the whole set.

Plus,
You're likely going to want to know as well. Wink

Theoretically, the ideal geometry, and especially pushrod length will yield max lift.

As you change the length of your adjustable pushrod,
(you are using an adjustable pushrod, right?)
The correct length will give you the most lift.

Either too long of a pushrod, or too short, will show less total lift than the perfect length pushrod.

What’s That Noise?!?
Coyotemutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Geometry Wrong, Or Am I? Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:

Did Mark mention having the adjuster parallel/inline at MAX lift?
mark tucker wrote:
. . . yes I do like the "inline" past half lift. how much past depends....on a lot of things.

I hope Mark will expound on the variables involved . . .

Sorry, that was me misunderstanding a previous post of his. He never said "inline at Max lift".

Rocker geometry is a fun topic for sure
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Geometry Wrong, Or Am I? Reply with quote

I like my max wear when the valve is closed and not moving at all. then there is no where....to find any wear...in there.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Geometry Wrong, Or Am I? Reply with quote

https://americansandassociation.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=27246

You need to find the true midpoint with your rockers, not calculated midpoint and start from there if you go with the midpoint set up.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Geometry Wrong, Or Am I? Reply with quote

The nice thing about ball adjusters is they take a lot of the stress off the valve guides. I think Mark may have the best reasoning on this and with the ball adjusters, you should get 100K on the valve guides perhaps more but as far as adjusters probably need changing at 25 to 35 K miles.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Geometry Wrong, Or Am I? Reply with quote

Genuine Porsche swivel feet are over $35 each now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: