Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remarkable NEBO light for Vanagon.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Remarkable NEBO light for Vanagon. Reply with quote

So, at NAPA this spring they had a NEBO eye light - a white cue ball size light that swivels and looked like a candidate for Vanagon interior lighting. It's got a magnetized base and I thought it would go great on the two metal plates I mounted on the headliner for various magnetic doodads (technical term).

Trouble is, they've been out of stock all summer and for $13 for a two pack, I recently found out why. I finally got a pair and they're PERFECT for lighting up the interior. The lighting is even from the rear hatch to the back of the front seats. Feels like a home with a ceiling light. I've never found anything that's come close and I have a box of random LED lights in bar shape, puck shape, etc that just made a pool of light and didn't work out. I'm a bit of a lighting fanatic.

It also swivels and has two levels of output. So, just in time as we head into the darker months of winter, I've found my winner:

https://www.nebotools.com/p/EYE-Light/544
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Remarkable NEBO light for Vanagon. Reply with quote

<---also a light fanatic Idea , though assigned by friends not self proclaimed. Laughing

Is that rechargeable or takes batteries..
I've been going over to rechargeable led lighting. for portable and interior accent lights..

here is one of my favorites..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/110LM-USB-LED-Bulb-Energy...2994770199

and this is by far the most popular in our group of camping friends..
this durable little cylinder light has a powerful magnet on one end.. mine ride on the ceiling while we travel Wink
it has a few brightness settings.. but the best feature is the 1st low.. 1% illumination.. with a ~400hr battery life on 1%. it's a great little light to put up on the ceiling or down by the floor.. I use one under the folded out bed, so I can see if the dog is down there but it's just the right not-bright to be subtle. the fact the lamp is only 270* is nice as you can direct the shielding away from your view/vision.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-USB-Rechargeable...2798277714
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Remarkable NEBO light for Vanagon. Reply with quote

Idahodoug, do you have a post on where and how you mounted the metal plate in your van?
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Remarkable NEBO light for Vanagon. Reply with quote

Those all look like great options. I figured I’d throw my new favorite light into the mix. Magnetic base, micro usb to usb rechargeable, soft warm light with motion detector mode (great for rear hatch area and also for above the sliding side door.) it’s a perfect compliment to the stock fluorescent light on drivers side above middle window.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XY7KFWD/ref=psdc_3736741_t3_B06XQ39PMF

Last edited by Multiman mv on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Remarkable NEBO light for Vanagon. Reply with quote

Not as stylish, but this one has proved very useful - particularly on my old cars with steel bonnets:

https://www.harborfreight.com/rotating-magnetic-led-worklight-63422.html
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Remarkable NEBO light for Vanagon. Reply with quote

Sorry, I think we renamed this thread. “What’s your favorite battery powered light for vanagon interior?”
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Remarkable NEBO light for Vanagon. Reply with quote

Mmm, lights!

Doug, do you have a NAPA part number for those lights? Putting 'NEBO into their search bar gets me nowhere...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Remarkable NEBO light for Vanagon. Reply with quote

Nebo appears to have free shipping from their website, and Amazon carries them as well.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Remarkable NEBO light for Vanagon. Reply with quote

Link: https://www.amazon.com/Nebo-6690-Eye-Light-Directi...ebo+flipit

I...might be...loving these. Thanks for posting!

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Remarkable NEBO light for Vanagon. Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
Those all look like great options. I figured I’d throw my new favorite light into the mix. Magnetic base, micro usb to usb rechargeable, soft warm light with motion detector mode (great for rear hatch area and also for above the sliding side door.) it’s a perfect compliment to the stock fluorescent light on drivers side above middle window.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XY7KFWD/ref=psdc_3736741_t3_B06XQ39PMF

Warm light below 3000K is key for me. I dislike cool light, esp. when camping so that’s a deal breaker for me. I wish NEBO provided that spec although the pics make it appear that it’s quite cool (which is what I want for a work light).

I have used these filters to warm up cool lights to 2900K or so:
https://www.amazon.com/Rosco-Cinegel-Roscosun-Corr...3KB7X9PSHY

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Remarkable NEBO light for Vanagon. Reply with quote

Ah man - great to be among fellow Lumen-ites!

Utah - When I removed the ceiling A/C tube, there were two sheetmetal mounts screwed through the headliner into metal cross members across the roof. I realized those might prove useful and saved them and the screws.

After repainting the headliner, I put them back up and have been attaching various magnetic things to them ever since. Flashlights, hooks, etc.

If you don't have one, I'd imagine the crossmembers are there in all tintops and that Westies may have some equivalent. Feels quite sturdy. Front one is located at the B pillars just a bit behind the seat tops. Rear is about in line with the rear opening of the slider. If you need specifics, let me know. I plan to do much more with this "hard point" and may develop a ceiling rack system with it.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Remarkable NEBO light for Vanagon. Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Warm light below 3000K is key for me. I dislike cool light, esp. when camping so that’s a deal breaker for me. I wish NEBO provided that spec although the pics make it appear that it’s quite cool (which is what I want for a work light).

Agreed 100%.
Cool white (4,000, 5000K) LEDs are good for work lights and approved for WalMart parking lot campsites. Or if you have to boondock at a freeway rest-area. Like a bright blue porta-potty, conditions have occurred where the blue-white light is a welcome sight. But when campfire light is an aesthetic part of the camp experience, clinical hospital-bright light of 5000K is "not proper". Somewhere there is a Westy-camping rulebook that states this (even though unnecessary) but i can't find it. Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Remarkable NEBO light for Vanagon. Reply with quote

Agree, and the rule should be applied to headlamps by the general public!!

So the NEBO is so perfect in its beam pattern, I found myself outside last night in my stocking feet with both lights on admiring the total room illumination effect.

On NAPA, it says "non 6690" on my receipt which I think means its not part of their normal part stocking. Its on a counter display that had another 3 or 4 NEBO light products. My price was $13.69.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Remarkable NEBO light for Vanagon. Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Agree, and the rule should be applied to headlamps by the general public!!

PS> Headlamps of any Kelvin are pointed only at the item to be illuminated, and turned off at the campfire.

I am in this strange situation where it seems that campfire rules apply to all aspects of Westy use and ownership. Which is not reality, nor does it apply to everyone, but it's a fun hobby to "live for camping". I keep my trans oil clean for the specific reason that it may get me to more campsites. Wherein the reality is the time fussing with things in the garage could have been "actual camping". However, fussing with things at the campsite is OK.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: