Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulsw62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership Reply with quote

Firechaser wrote:
I have never owned a classic car, much less my dream car, a Ghia.
I just want a daily driver, easy duty for a retired person.looking for safe not perfect.
Any advice on what a complete novice should look for, would be greatly appreciated. Thinking I should get at least partially restored?
I have a mechanic local for help when needed. But there are no local Ghias to buy. Sigh
Thank you in advance
The Firechaser

I am in the same position as Firechaser, only I can't even spot Bondo! Having read everything here, in the Buyers Guide, and other forums posts, is there any chance that spending more ($19k+?) would buy me less problems ??
Firechaser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership Reply with quote

paulsw62 wrote:
Firechaser wrote:
I just want a daily driver, easy duty for a retired person.looking for safe not perfect.
Any advice on what a complete novice should look for, would be greatly appreciated. Thinking I should get at least partially restored?
I have a mechanic local for help when needed. But there are no local Ghias to buy. Sigh
Thank you in advance
The Firechaser

I am in the same position as Firechaser, only I can't even spot Bondo! Having read everything here, in the Buyers Guide, and other forums posts, is there any chance that spending more ($19k+?) would buy me less problems ??
i

There has been a few shown here that I believe are probably great cars, sadly out of my budget. But we are geezers, and our budget is a necessary safeguard for our pharmacy visits.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership Reply with quote

Firechaser wrote:

There has been a few shown here that I believe are probably great cars, sadly out of my budget. But we are geezers, and our budget is a necessary safeguard for our pharmacy visits.

You can either shell out lots of money to buy a nice one (& hope that it hasn't had lots of plastic surgery.) or buy one that's a solid, affordable (to you) example & learn to work on it yourself.

It is crucial that you learn how to work on it yourself due to the fact that these are now collector cars & the people that know how to work on them are retired, retiring, or dying off. Your corner chain auto repair facility is going to charge going hourly rate for some tech school flunky to learn how to fix a car that's older than their parents, while throwing all of the new Chinese crap on it, if they agree to work on it at all.

If you do purchase a fixer/upper, just don't get carried away & immediately strip it down to a bare shell. This is the fastest way to get in over your head & become overwhelmed & then to lose interest. Learn by fixing one small system at a time, with just a 1/2 hour EVERY day until & you will quickly have a running/driving car that you will have the pride of knowing that you got it to that point (usually with lots of help from The Samba.).

Most of the parts can be refurbished, cleaned, and reused, the rest of the basic mechanical parts are still inexpensive. Other stuff can be made with some ingenuity & it doesn't have to look showroom fresh to be enjoyed by you. I get people of all types giving me thumbs ups &/or commenting on my Ghia all the time & its far from a pristine example.

If, you have no interest in learning how to fix the car yourself, or are completely incapable of turning a wrench, I really don't suggest that someone on a fixed income venture into owning a classic car of any type.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Firechaser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Firechaser wrote:

You can either shell out lots of money to buy a nice one (& hope that it hasn't had lots of plastic surgery.) or buy one that's a solid, affordable (to you) example & learn to work on it yourself.

It is crucial that you learn how to work on it yourself due to the fact that these are now collector cars & the people that know how to work on them are retired, retiring, or dying off. Your corner chain auto repair facility is going to charge going hourly rate for some tech school flunky to learn how to fix a car that's older than their parents, while throwing all of the new Chinese crap on it, if they agree to work on it at all.

If you do purchase a fixer/upper, just don't get carried away & immediately strip it down to a bare shell. This is the fastest way to get in over your head & become overwhelmed & then to lose interest. Learn by fixing one small system at a time, with just a 1/2 hour EVERY day until & you will quickly have a running/driving car that you will have the pride of knowing that you got it to that point (usually with lots of help from The Samba.).

Most of the parts can be refurbished, cleaned, and reused, the rest of the basic mechanical parts are still inexpensive. Other stuff can be made with some ingenuity & it doesn't have to look showroom fresh to be enjoyed by you. I get people of all types giving me thumbs ups &/or commenting on my Ghia all the time & its far from a pristine example.

If, you have no interest in learning how to fix the car yourself, or are completely incapable of turning a wrench, I really don't suggest that someone on a fixed income venture into owning a classic car of any type.

Ok....wow...... while I mostly agree with that. I also have gotten some really great tips here on this very thread about how to learn the necessary skills, and have already reached out and met some really great people who already possess those skills. The local VW club is full of very nice and helpful men and women. There is an a couple of local VW garages around that are willing and able. Lastly the man at House of Ghia in Salem, Oregon comes highly recommended by all.
Yes, if you buy an old car you will need to learn how to work on them, but these are mostly simple combustion engines, not rocket science. Yes, you should learn about magnets and spotting bondo. You read the buyers guide as did I. Don’t assume because you pay more than I am able to pay that you will not get a rust bucket. You you should still investigate thoroughly. But the right car will be out there for you, maybe not today or tomorrow but if you are diligent you might just be surprised.
Being a geezer, there is a few important things I have learned. You are never too old to learn new tricks, and you never really regret trying even if you fail, you regret all the things you never even tried.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership Reply with quote

Firechaser wrote:

Don’t assume because you pay more than I am able to pay that you will not get a rust bucket.

Ummm... yeah.... you haven't followed my thread at all have you?

One of the few times that I was trying to give sound advise without being a complete asshole & I still come across as such. Laughing

Collector cars will need repairs. Unless they have been squirrelled away in a barn for the last 30 years , it seems that every retarded monkey has put their own personal touch on EVERY system in the car. Yes, they are simple, but unless you have deep pockets to pay a shop for their time, you need to learn how to work on it yourself.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Firechaser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Firechaser wrote:

Don’t assume because you pay more than I am able to pay that you will not get a rust bucket.

Ummm... yeah.... you haven't followed my thread at all have you?
I guess not, maybe I completely misunderstood.

One of the few times that I was trying to give sound advise without being a complete asshole & I still come across as such. Laughing

Collector cars will need repairs. Unless they have been squirrelled away in a barn for the last 30 years , it seems that every retarded monkey has put their own personal touch on EVERY system in the car. Yes, they are simple, but unless you have deep pockets to pay a shop for their time, you need to learn how to work on it yourself.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership Reply with quote

Firechaser wrote:

I guess not, maybe I completely misunderstood.

Then here, try this...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=691306

This is my step-by-step “how to” (or “how not to”) on resurrecting a forgotten, rusty Ghia on the cheap.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Firechaser wrote:

You can either shell out lots of money to buy a nice one (& hope that it hasn't had lots of plastic surgery.) or buy one that's a solid, affordable (to you) example & learn to work on it yourself...

It is crucial that you learn how to work on it yourself due to the fact that these are now collector cars & the people that know how to work on them are retired, retiring, or dying off...

If you do purchase a fixer/upper, just don't get carried away & immediately strip it down to a bare shell...

Most of the parts can be refurbished, cleaned, and reused, the rest of the basic mechanical parts are still inexpensive...

Best advice I've read on the Samba in 5 years. Take heed.
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership Reply with quote

I'm not seeing the dent. Which door and where is it? Or is that a crease on the driver side door?
If I were in a position to get a ghia I would certainly go for this brown one. However I do have one reservation on it is this original paint? I don't remember ever seeing that color scheme, gobi beige maybe?
I'd go check it out, but I'm not sure if it's in Multnomah County, Oregon or Spokane, WA.

Onceler wrote:
Firechaser wrote:
jwold wrote:
This one looks pretty good to me, and at a good price.

Again, I have no financial interests in this car, just passing on what I saw.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/1968-karmann-ghia-one-owner/6684545407.html

I love this car!! I love the white one too
I have been get things tidied up down here so I can get up to look at them. So I am crossing my fingers!

I like that brown one, but no idea what the cost would be to have a shop fix that dent and match the paint. Maybe $3000, but no idea
Firechaser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership Reply with quote

jwold wrote:
I'm not seeing the dent. Which door and where is it? Or is that a crease on the driver side door?
If I were in a position to get a ghia I would certainly go for this brown one. However I do have one reservation on it is this original paint? I don't remember ever seeing that color scheme, gobi beige maybe?
I'd go check it out, but I'm not sure if it's in Multnomah County, Oregon or Spokane, WA.

I do believe that is a crease but that isn’t a deal breaker. I wondered about the color as well, but color can be changed and if it isn’t rusty then it is a good balance between fixable and reasonable. When I looked at I thought Portland but maybe I need to go look again. Hoping for a road trip over the weekend.

Onceler wrote:
Firechaser wrote:
jwold wrote:

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/1968-karmann-ghia-one-owner/6684545407.html

I have been get things tidied up down here so I can get up to look at them. So I am crossing my fingers!

I like that brown one, but no idea what the cost would be to have a shop fix that dent and match the paint. Maybe $3000, but no idea
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership Reply with quote

Firechaser wrote:
jwold wrote:

I do believe that is a crease but that isn’t a deal breaker. I wondered about the color as well, but color can be changed and if it isn’t rusty then it is a good balance between fixable and reasonable. When I looked at I thought Portland but maybe I need to go look again. Hoping for a road trip over the weekend.

Onceler wrote:
Firechaser wrote:
jwold wrote:

When you quote someone, be sure to scroll to the bottom so that your reply doesn't get buried in the body of the quote.

It's being sold as part of an estate sale, probably by a company that will post the car in many nearby cities to get as much attention as possible. My guess is that it's in the area where it's mapped.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership Reply with quote

The gobi 68 looks pretty nice, original color but I see overspray in several areas...so re-spray. I also see original rubber mats Smile , original pans door cards... Its a good candidate IMO.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Firechaser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help and advice. I am making a road trip in a big loop to look at several cars. If I am rolling lucky dice, I will find that one of these cars will be a good compromise of price and condition.
gatordub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership Reply with quote

I too am new to Ghias and VW’s. I’ve always been an American car guy but I’m drawn to the simplicity of VW’s. I like the fact you can do most of the work in your own garage without any special tools or lifts. I would rate myself as a decent shade tree mechanic but not familiar with bodywork or welding. My price range is around $5k. I’m leaning towards a car that has a solid body but may not be running or even a roller that has all the body work done. How hard would it be for someone new to VW’s to start with a non running or rolling project?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership Reply with quote

gatordub wrote:
I too am new to Ghias and VW’s. I’ve always been an American car guy but I’m drawn to the simplicity of VW’s. I like the fact you can do most of the work in your own garage without any special tools or lifts. I would rate myself as a decent shade tree mechanic but not familiar with bodywork or welding. My price range is around $5k. I’m leaning towards a car that has a solid body but may not be running or even a roller that has all the body work done. How hard would it be for someone new to VW’s to start with a non running or rolling project?

Always buy the most solid AND most complete example that you can afford. Mechanically, a Ghia is part for part the same or compatible with a Beetle, the body & interior on the other hand can get quite expensive if you don’t have everything.
It also depends on what condition you are willing to drive the vehicle. Myself, I didn’t care that most of the interior was missing or rotted, for what I had planned for the car, it was irrelevant. But I wasn’t looking for a Ghia, it was offered to me (initially at an unreasonable price).

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
gatordub wrote:

Always buy the most solid AND most complete example that you can afford. Mechanically, a Ghia is part for part the same or compatible with a Beetle, the body & interior on the other hand can get quite expensive if you don’t have everything.
It also depends on what condition you are willing to drive the vehicle. Myself, I didn’t care that most of the interior was missing or rotted, for what I had planned for the car, it was irrelevant. But I wasn’t looking for a Ghia, it was offered to me (initially at an unreasonable price).

X2 on that advice.

As far as the question "How hard would it be for someone new to VW’s to start with a non running or rolling project?" goes, I wouldn't think that would present any special difficulties that a "decent shade tree mechanic" couldn't successfully tackle.

In my opinion, beginning with a non running or rolling project has more to do with your organizational skills, and your ability to set goals and stay focused working until they are reached.
Naturally, if you buy a project that you didn't personally take apart, then some good puzzle and/or problem solving skills may come into play as well. Smile
cool karmann collected
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership Reply with quote

I would be jumping all over this one.

So many reasons. Looks like OG everything including paint, doesn't need welding, STOCK condition!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership Reply with quote

gatordub wrote:
The advice given by TDCTDI amd KGCoupe is sound and worth a second read. I can add that anyone willing to call themselves a shade tree mechanic can easily tackle the mechanical aspects of a Ghia. The "Bentley manual", "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot" by John Muir, and The Samba will get you past most if not all mechanical issues. For eample, when I was in my late teens I had a beetle and later a Ghia. I was able to replace front end components, the clutch, a rear stub axle, wheel bearings, brakes and several other mechanical miseries, in my mom's driveway, using only the Craftsman metric tools I had in my portable three drawer tool box and a craftsman 3 Ton floor jack. I also had to rent a tie rod end fork from the local FLAPS. If a broke and clueless 17 YO can do it, you can as well.

As to the question of budget, I was able to pick up a 1970 convertible in an 80% to 90% complete state, and a mostly rust free body, within your stated budget. I am now working on teaching myself body work and welding. If your feeling adventurous, and have a fair amount of free time on hand, a mid-project Ghia with all or most parts included may be a welcome learning experience.

We're all in this together,
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatordub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the great advice. I’m up for the challenge and have no problem with a long term project weekend driver. I’ve always been an American car guy but I’m in love with the simplicity and beauty of VW’s.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: New person looking to enter the abyss of Ghia ownership Reply with quote

paulsw62 wrote:
Firechaser wrote:
Thank you in advance
The Firechaser

You might be buying a better example when when looking at the higher end of the range, maybe not. A great restoration should have great documentation. On a restoration INSIST on documentation. Photo's and reciepts that prove or disprove the quality of the work.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: