Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

instrument panel
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Shea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: instrument panel Reply with quote

my instrument panel get all out of wack. they show a higher or lower reading than what is actual. If I disconnect the battery, wait a few minutes and reconnect they are fine for a few hours then it happen again. Anyone have any ideas what I need to do?
Brian
Brian Shea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: instrument panel Reply with quote

Forgot to add it's a 99' full camper
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: instrument panel Reply with quote

The old go to "check your grounds" applies but arm chair diag. says possible internal cluster problem.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
Brian Shea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: instrument panel Reply with quote

thanks
Brian Shea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: instrument panel Reply with quote

Where do I start checking for a bad ground? What does an internal cluster problem mean?
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: instrument panel Reply with quote

Brian Shea wrote:
Where do I start checking for a bad ground? What does an internal cluster problem mean?

There are 2 main instrument panel grounds coming from terminal 31 ground via connector U1 at the fuse panel. I believe these provide ground for the chip/some sort of solid state device within the dash instrument panel which drives the gauges.

Internal cluster problem was referring to an internal instrument panel problem. There must be some sort of voltage regulation within the panel and if that was messed I could see your sort of problem happening.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
Luna Blue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: instrument panel Reply with quote

2002 Eurovan. Instrument lights are too dim even when dimmer is all the way on high. Can’t see them when wearing sunglasses even with headlights on. Can’t see them well at night either. Is there a way to brighten the lights or clean something to make them brighter.

Also there is a lot of reflection of instrument panel on the windshield. Any fix for this?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: instrument panel Reply with quote

Pop the dimmer out and check voltages at the terminals as you dial it, probably the switch has pooped the bed.
Luna Blue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: instrument panel Reply with quote

The dimmer seems to work. It dims lower and higher. Just the “brightest” isn’t very bright. Also the van was bought used. Are the stock lights supposed to be blue? I wonder if the previous owner changed them. I’d prefer they were white. Can someone post photos of their instrument lights at night and in the day? Maybe I need the dealer to check them.
Luna Blue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: instrument panel Reply with quote

Anyone have an answer to dim instrument light question ? Also can you take l photo of your instrument panel at night? Is it blue?
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: instrument panel Reply with quote

my '93 has a sort of green cast to it. i think it's caused by the tinting of the instrument cluster. i believe the bulbs are white. not very bright but i can live with it. there are three small bulbs attached to the back of the instrument cluster.

i know there are a lot of ads for led replacement bulbs in different colors. it's possible someone swapped those in. the instrument cluster isn't very difficult to remove. there are some videos showing it on the Thomas EXOVCDS youtube channel.
bikes!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: instrument panel Reply with quote

Vans with the 24v VR6 have blue instrument lighting in keeping with the VW cars of that era.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: instrument panel Reply with quote

Luna Blue wrote:
Anyone have an answer to dim instrument light question ? Also can you take l photo of your instrument panel at night? Is it blue?

The voltage will tell you if the dimmer is ramping the whole 12V or not.

There really isn’t any other way other than parts darts and buying a new one.
JFBx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: instrument panel Reply with quote

Luna Blue,

I put in a new euro switch recently that was VERY difficult to acquire in red back light (no more DRL, and I can have parking lights on and fogs now). You are welcome to my original perfectly functioning headlight switch for cheap plus whatever the shipping would be. PM me if interested. I have no idea if this will fix your problem but this is a solid, stock NA part in very good condition.

But, truth be told, if you can deal with green back-lighting on a euro headlight switch (I could not) just get a euro style that has the parking light option--and rear fogs if you are so inclined and never look back. The green ones are easy to come by.

--jb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: