Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gumbajv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Thought I'd throw mine into the mix. 1986 2.1, came in from Canada to Oregon. I bought it from the Oregon owner 2 yrs ago. Recently replaced the tired long block, and patiently waiting for the turbo kit. After replacing the long block I moved on to replacing the original springs & shocks with lowered springs and Koni adjustables. I removed the rear seat to haul our bikes. Going for a mild rat rod look.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/url]

Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

gumbajv wrote:
Thought I'd throw mine into the mix. 1986 2.1, came in from Canada to Oregon. I bought it from the Oregon owner 2 yrs ago. Recently replaced the tired long block, and patiently waiting for the turbo kit. After replacing the long block I moved on to replacing the original springs & shocks with lowered springs and Koni adjustables. I removed the rear seat to haul our bikes. Going for a mild rat rod look.
[/url]

Nice! I like the bare look. Is that bedliner in the door cavities? It looks great.

Removing the rear bench sure opens it up. Can’t quite tell in the pictures - did you seal off the treasure chest area or leave it open to the cab?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gumbajv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

There’s nothing in the doors. The treasure chest is seperate from the back unlike the bay windows.
TKentT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

gumbajv wrote:
There’s nothing in the doors. The treasure chest is seperate from the back unlike the bay windows.

On the Syncros, the treasure chest is open to the underseat storage, for storing the spare tiire, at least on mine. Rather than a clamshell up front, it has an angled skid plate...

1986 Doka Transporter, 14" Syncro w/dual lockers -- 60,000km Swedish firetruck...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682322

30+ VWs before them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

TKentT wrote:
gumbajv wrote:

On the Syncros, the treasure chest is open to the underseat storage, for storing the spare tiire, at least on mine. Rather than a clamshell up front, it has an angled skid plate...

Ahh, that makes sense now that I think about it. I’m tempted to go that route with mine as the interior is pretty beat up now anyhow. Clean it up and could always add panels down the road.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Good to see this thread pop back up. I had a Trans installed on my '86 Doka this Summer, and I've been driving the snot out of it ever since !!
I took it to the Flanders N.J. show packed full of parts, nice 950 mile trip.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
pdxleaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Dokas are for dump runs.
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

pdxleaf wrote:

Dokas are for dump runs.

AND for hauling hay!!

(FYI, the back tire is sitting in a depression in this photo. The with the air helpers, the truck was actually sitting level)
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Looking good, love to see these 2WD trucks get their limelight; keep em coming.

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
91DOKA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

I just took the plunge and cannot look back! I am going from 3 to 4 Razz
I only wish it was a Syncro.

Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

That is a fine looking Doka. Is that a optional 4th door?

Yes, yes in a perfect world I wish my Doka was a syncro too, but I have come to realize I do not need my doka to be a syncro; it is my daily driver and even as a rural Oregon citizen I find my need for 4x4 to be minimal and with good tires and smooth engine I can go everywhere I need to. Plus I have a syncro tintop as a project vehicle and will drain my bank account accordingly.

Learn to love that 2wd. Plus more pics....anything special about your new ride? Loops super clean.

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
91DOKA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Bman wrote:
That is a fine looking Doka. Is that a optional 4th door?

Yes, yes in a perfect world I wish my Doka was a syncro too, but I have come to realize I do not need my doka to be a syncro; it is my daily driver and even as a rural Oregon citizen I find my need for 4x4 to be minimal and with good tires and smooth engine I can go everywhere I need to. Plus I have a syncro tintop as a project vehicle and will drain my bank account accordingly.

Learn to love that 2wd. Plus more pics....anything special about your new ride? Loops super clean.

The picture is of the 4th door that will make me happy when installed Very Happy
Anyone else try this ?? tips would be appreciated.
91DOKA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

The Michelin Man wanted to pose next to my truck .He is pointing to my Michelin tires.

SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

91DOKA wrote:

The picture is of the 4th door that will make me happy when installed Very Happy
Anyone else try this ?? tips would be appreciated.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609240
pdxleaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Adding my experience to the wheel/tire info. Just put on Carat springs with Nokian WRG3 205/70r15 and mercedes wheels with T3 spacers (7mm front, 12 mm back), was well as T3 lugs, studs.

Bottom line is that I can tell the difference. It rides like a modern vehicle. Quieter, smoother over bumps, handles tighter. Everything fits under the wells. The lower rpms at higher speeds is weird after driving a WBX and being used to bouncing around in the mid to upper 3K rpm. I haven't noticed any lag in power due to the larger tires. Just smoother ride and better looks.

It had Gowesty zero lift springs, which lift a light DOKA by about 1.5 inches. The Carats are much nicer. I can hop in instead of climbing in (I'm 6'4" and I didn't like the climb in when lifted.) Now it sits right. It looks like it should have come this way from the factory. It also had 14 inch Vanagon alloys and TA goodrich tires (you can see it in an earlier post going to the dump.)

For me, driving everyday in Portland, low is the way to go. I would have liked a bit lower for looks, but the Carats seemed like the best springs. It had HR lowering springs before the zero lift Gowesty's and they bounced me all over the road. This is seemingly the perfect combo.

Anyway, that's my experience for those who are making decisions about tires and wheels. I don't acknowledge any syncro envy. I wouldn't mind another vehicle that had a syncro, but I wouldn't trade my 2wd for one.

As for the fourth door, that would be great. It's a gutsy move to cut into a beautiful blue Doka that looks like it doesn't have a scratch on it. I don't doubt you will make it just as beautiful after the door is completed. But I think I would throw up making the first cut into the panel. Show us pics as you go.
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Drooool...

Last edited by SyncroButter on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Nice! I saw that ad and thought it looked like a good deal.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Yeah, I was eyeing that as well. Looks like a great basis for a solid project truck.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ScottyG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Recently picked up this sweet 84 DOKA 2WD. Lots of tasteful upgrades including a 1.8T VW engine conversion by German Motorwerks.

Runs very nice; Love this thing!

60 Beetle OG Survivor
84 DOKA 2WD Road-Tripper!
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Congratulations! That looks fantastic!!! Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: