Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fantastic original '71 411 Sedan at Aircooled Gathering
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Fantastic original '71 411 Sedan at Aircooled Gathering Reply with quote

My VW friend Charlie J. from Maine had a VW repair shop for many years. He and his GF traveled down to northern NJ's 14th All Aircooled Gathering in Flanders, held today 9-16-2018. Unfortunately I missed him all day so that I did not get details on this incredible car. Did not even think to peek at the odometer... My shot of the engine compartment was too far for the camera flash to be effective (stand closer, Rome Mad ) so I also missed that... Car came from Alaska!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jeremiah Berger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fantastic original '71 411 Sedan at Aircooled Gathering Reply with quote

Nice car!I was wondering if there where any other type 4s in Maine.Tell Charlie has not alone...

Last edited by Jeremiah Berger on Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fantastic original '71 411 Sedan at Aircooled Gathering Reply with quote

Great to see!
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fantastic original '71 411 Sedan at Aircooled Gathering Reply with quote

Oh nice car!
Should be a '71 as far as I can see.

//Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fantastic original '71 411 Sedan at Aircooled Gathering Reply with quote

Here are some more detail shots.

-Engine lid maintenance sticker Humphrey Volkswagen was located in Hayward, Calif.
-Build tag at front trunk edge shows German calendar week 29, weekday 3 which is July 21.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fantastic original '71 411 Sedan at Aircooled Gathering Reply with quote

Yes! Definitely a 1971!

And....I actually approve of the mounting and use of the electric washer pump. Its one of those "real world" mods that are very worthwhile for preservation alone.
More than once I have had the pressurized washer hose under the dash either leak or split...blowing washer fluid everywhere under the dash...and washer fluid is almost as corrosive as mouse piss! Laughing

The original spare tire pressure system is cool...and nifty to have just almost as a conversation piece because it blows the "non-VW" mind to see a spare tire powered washer.

So nice to see sedans...either two or four door. Its not that I dont like wagons....its just that there seem to be more of them...and less of the sedans surviving.

The 1971 also usually had the simpler "friction" bearing front strut assembly. Simpler....a little more vibration and steering effort...but easy to work with. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fantastic original '71 411 Sedan at Aircooled Gathering Reply with quote

Shantung Yellow - one year only - 1971!

//Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fantastic original '71 411 Sedan at Aircooled Gathering Reply with quote

Charlie is an awesome guy. He has helped my dad and I out many times, from supplying us with advice to supplying us with parts (not to mention the time our '79 westy broke down on the way to a club luncheon and he gave us a ride to and from the event in his sweeeeet '65 bug).

Kind of a pointless post and sort of off-topic but I gotta say Charlie is one of the most knowledgeable and friendly guys in the Maine/Northeast VW scene.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fantastic original '71 411 Sedan at Aircooled Gathering Reply with quote

Enlighten me about the electric windshield washer pump-----where is one like this available, or would any standard pump work? Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fantastic original '71 411 Sedan at Aircooled Gathering Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Enlighten me about the electric windshield washer pump-----where is one like this available, or would any standard pump work? Bob

If you look in his pictures....especially the one of the drivers side trunk lookong straight at the washer tank.....he has mounted a pump at 10 oclock to the left of the tank.

The only thing I do fault....is the use of those non automotive "blue" insulated crimp connectors....I would use factory style terminals. But being that this is a non critical part....no biggy Wink .

That pump is a fairly common aftermarket part. There are hundreds like that. Simple two wire conmection. One goes straight to ground the other to + at a pushbutton.

Or......on later models that use the same wiper/washer lever assembly as type 3 and many of the late super beetles......you can install a small micro switch in place of the air/water valve without too much trouble....so when you pull the lever it runs the pump instead of admitting air pressure.

In times past.....you could walk into any FLAPS and buy an aftermarket washer pump for about $15. They used to just hang on the rack where all of the wiper or electrical stuff is. It may still be this way but I have not noticed in quite some time. I would not be surprised to NOT find generic pumps on the shelf...because modern cars all have odd shaped and mounted washer pumps.....and they are far more reliable than they used to be.

But....if you cant find one local.....go to Rockauto and look at 1972-73 VW 412....and at the bottom of the list is wiper/washer. They have two lump choices.....one is $11 and one is $7. These same two generic pumps are offered under virtually all 1970s and 80s vehicle listings in Rockauto.

Most FLAPS also have these pump listings in thier computer even if they do not have it in stock. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fantastic original '71 411 Sedan at Aircooled Gathering Reply with quote

Remember: the 71 doesn't have the lever control.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fantastic original '71 411 Sedan at Aircooled Gathering Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Remember: the 71 doesn't have the lever control.

Its just about the same thing.....and may be easier. The 71 and earlier have the dash mounted washer button correct?

I have only seen a couple of these in person. In fact....with the internet age....I have seen more 1971 cars come out of backyards and garages than I had seen in my whole pre-internet type 4 driving life.....call that 1979 to say 2005.

But.....think of it like this. You have a button assembly. You can push it in and it pops back out. I would gut one of those and mount a small push button switch inside.

Take a look at part # 7193K1 on page 931 in the Mcmaster Carr catalog. Its 0.79" long, 0.36" high and 0.26" thick. Its about $3.45.

Or...if you have a spare defroster switch....you can open it up....remove the detent balls and put a thin spring either inside or around the outer post so when you push it in the pump runs until you let you go and it springs back. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fantastic original '71 411 Sedan at Aircooled Gathering Reply with quote

Brainstorm: Could the cigarette lighter be modified for this?
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fantastic original '71 411 Sedan at Aircooled Gathering Reply with quote

Nice car, but the frunk on my car was nicer than this.

It was a true time capsule.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fantastic original '71 411 Sedan at Aircooled Gathering Reply with quote

The electric washer switch conversion been done on a Bug, documented here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383291
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=561238
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=563315
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=484192

I want to get my '71 Type 3 washer working. It always used to, and I have a replacement tank and cap if needed... but I'm liking the electric version better to avoid the possibility of drowning my fusebox when/if it fails.

Here's some for the later, stalk switches, too:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=502329
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=421835
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fantastic original '71 411 Sedan at Aircooled Gathering Reply with quote

Are your headlight bezels chromed? It looks like they may be in your picture. Whatever they sure look sharp. Bob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: