Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Home Built by Jeff wrote:
I did actually note that the steering shaft was insulated from the rest of the car, and was not a ground.

Interesting. I'm not sure how the 1971 and later horn system would work if couldn't ground through the steering wheel shaft connection -- ??

On my car (1971 standard Beetle), there is a grounding strap/wire that is used to jump over the rubber coupler near base of the shaft -- i.e. goes from upper steering wheel shaft to the shaft coming out of the steering box, which is itself connected & grounded on upper tube of front torsion suspension structure.

On the 1970 and earlier models, a brown ground wire (from horn ring on steering wheel assembly) passes down through hole in middle of the (hot) upper steering shaft, and connects below rubber coupler to the shaft coming out steering box once again.

I'm not exactly sure how the 1971 and later Super Beetle steering shafts are connected / grounded, though -- i.e. if they also use a rubber coupler w/ ground jumper strap between upper shaft and steering box? Or are grounded through the upper shaft support bearings, maybe -- ??

I'm sure you'll be able to figure out something clever and fun to make it work, though -- that horn sound is definitely a fundamental part of the Beetle driving experience. Smile

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OlzMP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Not to crash the party on this one but I've now set up a Youtube channel too. Although I won't be documenting my Beetle project quite like Jeff, I will be posting my travels, adventures and films I do that all involve my Beetle Fizzy.

Quick disclaimer: I have 0 knowledge of cars (I'm 18 and have only had the beetle 2 months so give me a chance okay). An 18th century peasant would be better at fixing cars than I would but hey ho !!

Link

I hope to keep the channel updated fairly consistently as I have two big trips in the next two weeks with the beetle and then lots of films planned with him down the line.

Enjoy Very Happy

Last edited by OlzMP on Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Looking good mate. That is what YouTube is all about, just getting out there and giving it a go.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

You know you can imbed a youtube video in your post, right ?

Link

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

I may not start a youtube series about my bug, but these threads have helped me decide I will keep a record of what I do to mine in these forums... Smile

Patrick
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
You know you can imbed a youtube video in your post, right ?

I didn't realise I could on this forum. I just went back and changed it on my last post, and I will from now on. Thanks.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Home Built by Jeff wrote:

I didn't realise I could on this forum. I just went back and changed it on my last post, and I will from now on. Thanks.

No sweat. I look forward to your next video.

Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

This week I fix the fuel pressure but I am still suffering with warm start issues. I also install the new gear bushing which has transformed the shifting.

Link
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

I mentioned previously about inspecting the rheostat (the wire winding inside the fuel sender) to see if the wires were burnt at about the midway point. Did you do that?

Also—assuming your ground is good—you only have one other item to check: the vibrator. If yours is the OEM metal-encased kind, it’s probably old and worn out. Purchase one of the new vibrators, which are encased in black plastic. The new ones don’t vibrate. They have a zenor diode and a light bulb inside them. Its primary purpose is to prevent a full 12 volts from entering your gage and/or sender rheostat.

Have you checked to see that your choke is adjusted so that it is fully off when the engine is hot? And, you might try getting the engine to operating temperature and pulling the air cleaner off, right after shutting off the engine. Look down the throat of the carb. Is there any fuel dripping drop the dump tube? There shouldn’t be.

At your YouTube site, a commentor mentioned that this is how bugs are. Wrong. Your engine should start immediately, regardless of its temperature. Mine does.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

I agree with Tim. Even my crew cab starts right away despite having the engine in terrible condition (compression leaks, cylinder 2 doesn't work as it suffered from severe overheat).
It is a matter of checking every subsystem carefully.

I have had this truck 'repaired' by many mechanics in the past. Most said "It's the way it is", those were the ones that only made matters worse.

About the gauge, maybe the sender is flooding itself (just one part works)? Since it goes full when ground is applied, and zero when in the air.

Warm start issues could be due to soaking the plugs (too much pumping) too.
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I mentioned previously about inspecting the rheostat (the wire winding inside the fuel sender) to see if the wires were burnt at about the midway point. Did you do that?

Also—assuming your ground is good—you only have one other item to check: the vibrator. If yours is the OEM metal-encased kind, it’s probably old and worn out. Purchase one of the new vibrators, which are encased in black plastic. The new ones don’t vibrate. They have a zenor diode and a light bulb inside them. Its primary purpose is to prevent a full 12 volts from entering your gage and/or sender rheostat.

Have you checked to see that your choke is adjusted so that it is fully off when the engine is hot? And, you might try getting the engine to operating temperature and pulling the air cleaner off, right after shutting off the engine. Look down the throat of the carb. Is there any fuel dripping drop the dump tube? There shouldn’t be.

At your YouTube site, a commentor mentioned that this is how bugs are. Wrong. Your engine should start immediately, regardless of its temperature. Mine does.

Tim

The rheostat looked fine from what I could see and the resistance was good for the sender. It may be the grounding wire or the quite possibly the vibrator, I will see how that goes.

I have had a heap of suggestions to check for the warm start issues, so I will look into the carb leaking, and also I need to change the condenser which is the last thing that has not been changed out.

Jeff
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

This week I keep attacking my warm start issues by stripping and cleaning up the carb, and then finish some paint correction.

Link
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Coming along nicely Very Happy
Empi shifter, full compliment of gauges, 1679 with mild cam, stock induction

SOLD: 1974 Marina Blue Standard Beetle undergoing restoration/preservation
1679 with Kadrons and header/QP
914 sport wheels 5.5" ET40 wrapped in 195x65x15 Kumhos
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Chinese carburetor=problems.

Your volume control screw should be turned out, as you suspected in the video.

Volkzbitz=no problems.

It’s as simple as that. Tim at Volkzbitz restores genuine German Solex 34pict3 carburetors (and other Solex carbs), which were made in West Germany. Installation of the correct part—and his carburetors are—will let your engine start hot, cold, or anywhere in between.

Jeff, when I first got my bug, I had many of the carburetor problems you have mentioned. The hot start was the worst. I’d have to crank and crank to get a warmed-up engine started (no problem with a cold start). I replaced that carb with a restored Volkzbitz German carburetor four or five years ago. Since then, the engine starts immediately, regardless of the engine temperature.

You can fiddle with that piece of shit carb you have until you’re blue in the face, or you can get the original, fully restored part, and end the frustration.

Volkzbitz.com

Tim (not the same Tim at Volkzbitz, by the way.)

Richard O'Brien
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Chinese carburetor=problems.

Your volume control screw should be turned out, as you suspected in the video.

Volkzbitz=no problems.

It’s as simple as that. Tim at Volkzbitz restores genuine German Solex 34pict3 carburetors (and other Solex carbs), which were made in West Germany. Installation of the correct part—and his carburetors are—will let your engine start hot, cold, or anywhere in between.

Jeff, when I first got my bug, I had many of the carburetor problems you have mentioned. The hot start was the worst. I’d have to crank and crank to get a warmed-up engine started (no problem with a cold start). I replaced that carb with a restored Volkzbitz German carburetor four or five years ago. Since then, the engine starts immediately, regardless of the engine temperature.

You can fiddle with that piece of shit carb you have until you’re blue in the face, or you can get the original, fully restored part, and end the frustration.

Volkzbitz.com

Tim (not the same Tim at Volkzbitz, by the way.)

^this x100

If you can't afford to get a fully restored carb from Volkzbitz, then consider picking up a used oem/German one for cheap and getting a gasket/rebuild kit for it. It will definitely be better than a brand new Chinese one.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Did you adjust the fast idle cam screw so it just touches the lowest cam setting then turned in 1/4 turn ? That screw is only used to set the initial throttle butterfly opening, not for adjusting idle speed. If it's cracked too far open at idle, adjustments to the idle mixture and idle speed will inaccurate.

Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

If I have done everything else and it is still giving me problems, then I will replace the carb. That is my last resort though, I still need to change the condenser as well.
At the moment it seems to be working fine, but time will tell. Oh and I did adjust the idle stepper screw as directed.

One thing that was mentioned, is that I adjusted the mixture control screw without the air filter, and that is something to go back and check again.
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

This is the series final of project John Lemon, and this week I replace the shocks and lower the rear of the Beetle.

Link
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

This is just a quick video trying some of the suggested tests for my warm start issues. At this stage it is still not fixed.

Link
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Have you checked float level?
Empi shifter, full compliment of gauges, 1679 with mild cam, stock induction

SOLD: 1974 Marina Blue Standard Beetle undergoing restoration/preservation
1679 with Kadrons and header/QP
914 sport wheels 5.5" ET40 wrapped in 195x65x15 Kumhos
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: