Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Samba Bay Window Classifieds
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcnotes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Samba Bay Window Classifieds Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to sell my '78 Westy, Olive and have been checking out the Samba Bay Window classifieds. It appears to me that the market is divided between Euro buyers and sellers with astronomical prices, busses in need of restoration with prices across the board and a relatively small number of what I could call enthusiasts/owners selling campers and busses with rational and relative to value prices.

I love Samba. It's an incredible resource, but the ads for T2's are a let down. Do they reach that much of a bus buyers market?

Where else would an enthusiast/owner go to sell their classic?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Bay Window Classifieds Reply with quote

I’ve had the best response from the samba classifieds and when it sells I always send a donation.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Bay Window Classifieds Reply with quote

rcnotes wrote:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Bay Window Classifieds Reply with quote

rcnotes wrote:
I'm getting ready to sell my '78 Westy, Olive and have been checking out the Samba Bay Window classifieds. It appears to me that the market is divided between Euro buyers and sellers with astronomical prices, busses in need of restoration with prices across the board and a relatively small number of what I could call enthusiasts/owners selling campers and busses with rational and relative to value prices.

I love Samba. It's an incredible resource, but the ads for T2's are a let down. Do they reach that much of a bus buyers market?

willing seller and willing buyer set a value. If you aren't sure what yours is worth have it appraised. It will cost you about $300 to have the appraisal done. The other situation is like Glenn suggested - go thru an auction and either go no reserve or set a reserve. There is no magic solution. You can also drive it with a for sale sign in the window.
rcnotes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Bay Window Classifieds Reply with quote

SG, I always chip in. That free lunch thing is a myth. And thank you for your guidance and help over the many years.
rcnotes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Bay Window Classifieds Reply with quote

SG, I bought my house like that. He couldn't pay off the land contract and had to sell. He had no idea what to ask. The seller got an appraisal (high) and I got one that was lower. We came to the middle. Lived here for 41 years.

It'll sell where I live. It's one of the nicest I've seen around SE Mi.
rcnotes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Bay Window Classifieds Reply with quote

And thanks (many times over) Glenn, I don't think one of my posts have ever been graced by you.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Bay Window Classifieds Reply with quote

Prices vary depending on location. If you’re in TN the price will be low. If you’re in S. Cal it will be high. If you’re in the UK the price will be very high.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Bay Window Classifieds Reply with quote

Start driving it around and talking to people about it. I’m gonna sell my ‘68 in March, I’ve already had 6 local people tell me they are interested.

Driving it a showing it’s relabilty to the local community goes a long way.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Bay Window Classifieds Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I’m gonna sell my ‘68 in March.

No! Bigger and better plans I hope?
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Bay Window Classifieds Reply with quote

Your local Craigslist may be read by local enthusiasts. I consider myself an enthusiast, and I check craigslist quite often. I have also sold old Volkswagen and old BMW stuff on Craigslist, sometimes to enthusiasts who drove quite a distance to get what I had.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Bay Window Classifieds Reply with quote

Trashman wrote:
richparker wrote:

He’s joining the ‘71 club I believe.... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Bay Window Classifieds Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Trashman wrote:
richparker wrote:

He’s joining the ‘71 club I believe.... Cool

Already joined!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Bay Window Classifieds Reply with quote

Another option may be "Bring a Trailer". I don't know much about it though.

https://bringatrailer.com/
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Bay Window Classifieds Reply with quote

I've sold many a bus , I get a sense that buyers are patient and have a strict budget. It is not a daily driver for most owners. I put ads here,CK,and FB marketplace all at once and price them at what I would want to pay ( not what I think some else would pay ). They sell quickly to happy buyers ( both here and over seas ). There are many over priced Bays on the market right now that don't sell.

I don't run local ads or drive around with a for sale sign in the window as I live in a very poor county full of broke dicks.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Bay Window Classifieds Reply with quote

I’ve also noticed a what I’d like to call a “bay window divide.” As the split window bus commands more and more money in any kind of condition (rusty, drivable, & restored), the bay window (in any condition) remains affordable but not desirable.

The type-4 motor scares most purchasers away with its complexities, NLA parts, and high maintainence costs. Where the type-1 motor is more familiar, readily available parts, and affordable costs welcomes the majority of Vw and non-VW enthusiasts. Therefore, the only real sought after bay window buses are 68-71 bays.

In your situation, I’d saturate the market and list your bus on all platforms (samba, CL, Facebook, eBay, Hemings) to get the best coverage and get and offer that is close to your asking price. You’re going to have to do a little work to get the money you believe it’s worth. Time is money and money is time - don’t forget that that. At some point you’ll find the right buyer and the right buyer will find your bus.

Anyways - good luck selling your bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Bay Window Classifieds Reply with quote

Instead of hitting 5 different ad venues at once, I’d just start with the samba. It’s free and the thing is that I think it would be too confusing using all those at once.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Bay Window Classifieds Reply with quote

rcnotes wrote:

Stick it in the local student paper. One of those trustafarians at UM will make their parent/s buy it for them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Bay Window Classifieds Reply with quote

patience. One does not know where the buyer is. That is especially true if one is selling at market for that bus. Stick a for sale sign on it and drive it around. I've sold multiple cars that way.

if you are in a hurry to sell it then mark it down but make clear that is your buy it now price.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Bay Window Classifieds Reply with quote

You can get a nice Vanagon in tip top shape for 20k pretty much anytime.

That pretty much caps what you can get for a Bay, and arguably makes 15k hard to get unless its a museum quality piece or low miles.

No, I don't care how much you "put into it".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: