Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 Split Window Massive Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Split Window Massive Project Reply with quote

Now THAT is a perfect autobahn burnin' youtubin' Bimmer crushin' banked turn bus! Finish that and have some cheap and silly dangerous fun.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Split Window Massive Project Reply with quote

obus wrote:
Damn automatic too! Id throw some AC in that and that would be ready for my liquor route. I keep looking at the roof and thinking it is a vinyl roof. lol

The roof was rhino lined. I see a few bubbles under it. But all doors and and rockers are super solid. I'll try to get better pics of the under carriage this weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Split Window Massive Project Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Now THAT is a perfect autobahn burnin' youtubin' Bimmer crushin' banked turn bus! Finish that and have some cheap and silly dangerous fun.

The guy that gave it to me had a newer corvette. We had to go to his house to get the keys and title. He had to show me what the vette would do. Wow! Just sayin he would do what you said Hitest. Scared the crap out of me. And he is 70 plus I would think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Split Window Massive Project Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:
Got it picked up today. Way better than I thought it would be.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Comfy!

The dash and seats reminds me of this Van

I just hope it doesn't make "the most annoying sound in the world" when it's running. Lol
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Split Window Massive Project Reply with quote

That whole thing is ridiculous, but I love it! Does it run and drive?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Split Window Massive Project Reply with quote

He said it should with a battery and fresh fluids. I'll find out this weekend. Shocked
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Split Window Massive Project Reply with quote

thats an unexpectedly pleasant abortion
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Split Window Massive Project Reply with quote

EmpiGT, I'm looking forward to seeing that, please post on this thread and congratulations as she appears solid. What was her original color?

EmpiGT wrote:
He said it should with a battery and fresh fluids. I'll find out this weekend. Shocked

EmpiGT wrote:
Got it picked up today. Way better than I thought it would be.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Split Window Massive Project Reply with quote

I'm guessing the original colors were turq/bw. Since it was a 62 standard and not a kombi. I will keep the thread updated as I get it going. It is very solid rust wise. I haven't had much of a chance to dig thru it since I picked it up.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Split Window Massive Project Reply with quote

Yum great color combo!

EmpiGT wrote:
I'm guessing the original colors were turq/bw. Since it was a 62 standard and not a kombi. I will keep the thread updated as I get it going. It is very solid rust wise. I haven't had much of a chance to dig thru it since I picked it up.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ted698
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Split Window Massive Project Reply with quote

God Dayummmm!! hahahaha
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Split Window Massive Project Reply with quote

I wonder how many 8 balls went in to that design and fabrication.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Split Window Massive Project Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
I wonder how many 8 balls went in to that design and fabrication.

The more I dig into it, it looks like a lot of 8balls went into it. I think I may need a few to get it going. Lol.
Here's what I found so far. A rat has made a nest in the back and chewed thru a few wires. Got those bypasses for now to get it running. So hopped in and tried. It's cranking and lights working. But not firing up. Go back and crack fuel lines. Nothing and no pressure from the pump. Tracking the wires found all the gas gauge wires chewed thru and the power line to the pump. Fixed those and tried again. Still nothing, so tried the pump with a direct power lead and ground. It was drawing power but the pump is locked up. On to removing the pump from the fuel cell. Trying to remove the 6 screws holding it in I found all of them were spinning and not backing out. So I had to put my hand up to my forearm in the tank and found spinning nuts on the inside. This all after topping the tank off with fresh gas. So guessing the size of the nuts to be 10mm I get a wrench and shove my arm in gas again. Wrong size... Was 11mm.
Do it again with my wrist killing me getting to them, I got the pump out. Will get the new pump and try again this weekend.
Oh and this isn't a 70s accord motor like the guy thought. This is a Honda vtec. So it might be a little rocket. More to come
SplitBusVanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Split Window Massive Project Reply with quote

I love this. Neee to see more pics.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Split Window Massive Project Reply with quote

Oh! The anticipation! Please tell us you'll produce a video of the start up of this one! Can't wait...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Split Window Massive Project Reply with quote

Assuming the cluster and steering column came from the same donor car as the engine I'd guess it's circa mid-90s. Glad to hear you're making progress, keep at it!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Split Window Massive Project Reply with quote

I will definitely post a video of it running. Hopefully Sunday. We'll see what else keeps it from running before then.
Liveonjg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Split Window Massive Project Reply with quote

Popcorn

77 FI 2L Westfalia - Ripple
77 FI 2L Westfalia - Althea
62 Dual Carb Single Cab - Lou
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Split Window Massive Project Reply with quote

That speedo is definitely from a 94+ Honda Accord. I'm so curious to see how it was all mounted. What a score.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Split Window Massive Project Reply with quote

So exciting. Popcorn
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: