Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
We will offer this when available. I got my hopes up when Magnaflow showed two on hand, only to be told that they were early production that did not meet QC and weren't actually available, and that there is no firm ETA yet.

I believe you BusDepot. Maybe they made mine and shipped it to me so I would stop asking about it. Will be mounting it soon and will go smog it and send the results to them. I should have the time after Nov 1 when I retire.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Had a reply from Magnaflow telling me it's 6-8 weeks out.

Cat for Christmas?
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
Had a reply from Magnaflow telling me it's 6-8 weeks out.

Cat for Christmas?

double that number and add 10. Big biz is anything but quick. I would say mid March
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

A bit late to the game, but here are some photos of the test blank that Magnaflow sent to Steve fitted onto my '81 Vanagon.

You can see that there isn't a great deal of wiggle room between the cat and the crossover and the cat and the rear apron. Hopefully the diameter of the final product won't be any larger than the test blank.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A couple of shots of the O2 sensor mounting. I had requested that the sensor location be clocked a couple of degrees counter-clockwise, as it's pretty tight there.

A couple more shots showing how it looks from the rear.

And, oh yeah: that rusty crossover pipe? Believe it or not, I had it ceramic coated just after picking it up at CIP's warehouse in Delta BC way back when. The rusty spots started showing up just a couple of months after I mounted it. So much for space-age coatings... Rolling Eyes
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett

Last edited by SlowLane on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

it appears to be the same. I retire today and hope to be driving mine around and have it tested sometime soon.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
it appears to be the same. I retire today and hope to be driving mine around and have it tested sometime soon.

congratulations on making it to your retirement! enjoy your fruits!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
SGKent wrote:

congratulations on making it to your retirement! enjoy your fruits!

Thanks
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I retire today....

Applause Dancing

did you leave a big steaming mud snake on your bosses computer?

congrats. now you can travel and fix peoples buses for them Very Happy

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Quote:
congrats. now you can travel and fix peoples buses for them Very Happy

nada. Going to let the sun wake me up each morning.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Congrats! Now you'll have time to get your electronics bench set up (and all of the other put off projects...) Laughing
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Congrats! Now you'll have time to get your electronics bench set up (and all of the other put off projects...) Laughing

yep. Technically I come in on Nov 13 for a few hours to finish paperwork, and Nov 14th is the office party, turn in ID's etc.. But for all practical purposed 7 minutes from now … .

BTW Telford - you have no idea how much you have helped me and others here. Without your expertise this forum would not have accomplished as much as it has. There is no other car forum where the people get as much support from so many members as this forum. So many people have helped me too. Small things - I once had two small odd plastic pieces left over after a door rebuild - several folks recognized them as part of the vent window assembly.
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Congrats on your retirement!
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

We thank you for your service. Now drink deeply from the deep well of the Millenials W9 witholdings and savor the #timetogetmymoneyback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Just saw this tonight... don't know how accurate it is or whether HotExhaust.com can actually get it. Magnaflow's website seems to have updated to show " 2 in stock " but you can't buy from them directly as a consumer, so unclear what that means.

Magnaflow: https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=3391...levehicles

Online vendor showing them available:
https://www.hottexhaust.com/Magnaflow_3391449

Buyer Beware!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

wrong photo because that one is double flanged.

Here it is on the Magnaflow website

https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=3391449&searchterm=3391449
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
wrong photo because that one is double flanged.

Here it is on the Magnaflow website

https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=3391449&searchterm=3391449

Well, it's not a photo anyway. It's just a sad CAD drawing, and yes incorrect. What seems important to me is the Part Number and description, and also only shows the same three year range of application ('77-'79) that Magnaflow specifies. It looks like a match.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

I don't think Hottexhaust actually have them in stock. They made that part available on their site when I asked them about availability. I also asked Planet Magnaflow who were a little more diligent. They spoke directly to Magnaflow before asking for my money.. I just emailed the customer service manager again to see what's happening.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

CAT was delivered today.

More than a shame it's only certified for 77-79 model years. Why wouldn't they certify for other Type 4 years too?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

that is a CARB thing. You take what you can get with those folks. At least some of you can pass smog, I feel vindicated. God what a lot of work.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
that is a CARB thing. You take what you can get with those folks. At least some of you can pass smog, I feel vindicated. God what a lot of work.

Not trying to take any credit away from you Steve. I'm pissed at Magnaflow. I don't accept that it's a CARB thing. Magnaflow submit it to ARB for attestation. There's no magic.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: