Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Test driving a tail shift 914 in Southern California?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Test driving a tail shift 914 in Southern California? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

So I am pretty heavily debating swapping to a 914 transmission in my bug, but I have been pretty heavily warned to actually try one first before I cut my car to install it. I was wondering if there was anywhere you guys may know of or could think of that I may be able to test drive one. I have been searching local classic car dealers, but unfortunately they all have 74+ which swapped to the side shift already. Thank you for the help on my weird question.

-esk

EDITed title because I screwed up a word

Last edited by Eskamobob1 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Test driving a nose shift 914 in Southern California? Reply with quote

The earlier tail shifter (but if you look at one its really to the side - just not as much as the later years) is the one you want to use as a base for your conversion provided it's in good shape. You do have to change the nose cone to an early 911 or newly manufactured one. The gears internally are same with early and late transaxle. I had a '72 "tail shift" and never had a sloppy shifter for the 10 years I owned it. Later ones were most likely more direct. Also look at the Gene Berg 5 speed.
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Test driving a nose shift 914 in Southern California? Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
The earlier tail shifter (but if you look at one its really to the side - just not as much as the later years) is the one you want to use as a base for your conversion provided it's in good shape. You do have to change the nose cone to an early 911 or newly manufactured one. The gears internally are same with early and late transaxle. I had a '72 "tail shift" and never had a sloppy shifter for the 10 years I owned it. Later ones were most likely more direct. Also look at the Gene Berg 5 speed.

whoops. It will be a nose shift for me, so I said the wrong, thing. Is just having a real sloppy shifter what people realy talk about with the need for super "deliberate" shifting? I was under the impression that problem was the porsche style syncros (not sure what they are actualy called) that were in the trans meant shifting its self wasnt always easy.

As for the berg 5, that is for sure an option I am considering, and certainly the option with the most customizability. It is just looking like 5-6k for one where as I should be able to do a 914 for ~1-1.5k since I have a buddy that is willing to do the conversion for me on that one for a good core and some data management work. And, since the 914 trans seems to honestly be able to do what I want pretty well in the first place, I would like to go that route if I dont mind the trans

EDIT: Kind of a piggy back question if anyone can answer it. Will a 901 trans feel pretty similar to a converted 914 trans? There are a couple classic car dealers in my area with 901s I can test drive as it turn out, I just wasnt sure how similar they would feel overall
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Test driving a tail shift 914 in Southern California? Reply with quote

Will a 901 trans feel pretty similar to a converted 914 trans

That's exactly what you'll end up with! You will need a 911 shifter and linkage (suspect 914 bits could be adapted). Just remember anything Porsche is expensive to rebuild --- to include the 914's 901 transaxle which is now some 40 years old. Assume you have the article from:

https://www.aircooled.net/vw-transmission-porsche-5-speed-conversion/

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135709
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Test driving a tail shift 914 in Southern California? Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
Will a 901 trans feel pretty similar to a converted 914 trans

That's exactly what you'll end up with! You will need a 911 shifter and linkage (suspect 914 bits could be adapted). Just remember anything Porsche is expensive to rebuild --- to include the 914's 901 transaxle which is now some 40 years old. Assume you have the article from:

https://www.aircooled.net/vw-transmission-porsche-5-speed-conversion/

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135709

Oh, seriously? I was under the impression they used the same mechanism but where ultimately different transmissions (EDIT: 914 was shorter than 915. I was thinking the 914 were a bit stronger than the 901sthough the 914 was slightly shorter). And yah, rebuilds are expensive, but I think I was looking at about $1500 and only recommended ever 150-200k miles. Is that not quite accurate? Also, if the 914 rebuilt and the 901 are the same, there is actualy a guy in my area that has an already rebuilt 901 for $2k. I may have to consider that one more. And yes, I have read both articles. The aircooled.net one was what made it even pop up on my radar in the first place tbh
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Test driving a tail shift 914 in Southern California? Reply with quote

There is no way you can use a 914 transmission in your bug. You CAN use a 901 (911 912 67-71) in your car, but it uses cv axles NOT a swing axle
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Test driving a tail shift 914 in Southern California? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
There is no way you can use a 914 transmission in your bug. You CAN use a 901 (911 912 67-71) in your car, but it uses cv axles NOT a swing axle

I was under the impression that an early 914 tailshift can be converted to a nose shift and be used in a beetle. I was under the impression that this is done with a 901 nose cone, but I know for sure that bug@5speed makes kits that will do such
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Test driving a tail shift 914 in Southern California? Reply with quote

you could but after purchasing all of the 911 transmission parts to do it and flipping the ring gear and pinion, you would be MUCH better off just purchasing a 911 transmission
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: