Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Picking up the Pieces.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

Last time I checked, Glasurit has the mixing formulas for 356 colors. Can you purchase Glasurit where you are?

Crazy Roland
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

RolandD wrote:
Last time I checked, Glasurit has the mixing formulas for 356 colors. Can you purchase Glasurit where you are?

Crazy Roland

Yes, Roland we can get glasurit here in Australia, and that's where the spray sample came from. It just doesn't exactly match the paint on the car, which is why I ask for views on the mechanism at play. Is it ageing or a batching variation? Or other? The colour on the dash we can reproduce with the spectrographed formula. This also happens to be the popular choice and both colours compare closely. So I'm running with that.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

Glasurit was the only one that had the formula for Tangerine Orange for a '72 Ghia. It was spot on. I would guess that the old paint has faded. Choose wisely.

Crazy Roland
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

There has been more physical effort on the 356. There’s no doubt sanding is physical. There’s been another layer of epoxy sprayed on the vehicle...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then the first coat of polyester.

More sanding to come with epoxy to create the water seal then more polyester then more epoxy to keep the water seal. Soon paint. Oh so exciting. Laughing

I’m a fan of driving on the proper side of the road and have proceeded with converting the car to RHD. Some may dispute the value of that but this car is likely to stay in Australia and most people that I know who have one of these prefer it RHD.
So these next two photos show the front and rear of the dash and how the cuts have been made for the transformation. Note worthy is the double cut for the steering column mount so it can be properly aligned relative to the instruments and the exit hole in the firewall panel.

This is a really good stage to be at.

Nicholas
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

This week the interior section were prepared and then coated with that black epoxy stuff.
The front trunk...

the engine compartment...

The passenger compartment front...

the passenger compartment rear....

Soon the dash will go in...

Nicholas.
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

A lot of work there Nicholas. Neat way of doing the dash to RHD. I notice PR Services over here are able to sell a new RHD Pitman arm they have made. I guess you have worked out though already all the items to change the mechanicals to RHD.

Well done!

Roy
atech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

Unbelievable workmanship!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

I've driven the Passat down from Sydney to Melbourne and visited Peter Hardt the proprietor of Hardt Classics. http://www.hardtclassics.com.au.

Peter has kindly been storing some of the parts for the 356C. the relationship started with the previous owner, who is a regular client and carried over this year after I took it on. I had expected to be here earlier but life has its way of getting in the way.
Peter has jigs and set-ups for the RHD conversion of the pedal cluster, handbrake, steering box and fuel tank. These bits we've fished out from the pile and he will complete them soon, hopefully by Christmas.
I had a really fun couple of days re-boxing the parts and getting Peter to help Identify certain parts for me. I'm no 356 expert but he's put me onto a few reference books that will clue me in on how this puzzle goes together. I particularly enjoyed seeing some of the cars in the work shop. There was an "A" coupe, a "B" cabriolet, and an "A" speedster all completed at one end. In the middle there is an original race vehicle that driven to win major races in Europe during the early 60's, so apparently its worth million$. Peter is also working on a few special replica Porsche race cars that only exist now as drawings. The original vehicles having been destroyed after the racing campaigns of the day. At the back of the work shop a GT and 911 as body shells being meticulously restored. All fabulous stuff and I enjoyed myself immensely.

Now about my project...Here is the engine ready to be lifted into the Passat for the ride to Sydney. It's had kits though the carb, fuel pump and had other maintenance done to have it in a running state. It just needs the front & rear tinwork, the exhaust, heater boxes, muffler and outlet pipes added to be complete.... that and a fill up of oil and other minor tweaks.

These boxes contain the brake callipers and front discs, front suspension, rear suspension the bumper overriders and a hug lot of other things. I'm amazed at how densely packed I've managed to get this!. There are a few missing things like the rear mirror and some of the air controls but I'm not too worried yet. I will find something out there either old or repro. I found two ashtrays, one with and one without the slotted plate. Its the same piece in the Karmann and I have a spare plate with that!

The Gearbox below is ready to go into the car. It has had seals and bearings replaced and the axle tubes repainted and installed. The brake discs are mounted with new outer bearings.

Finally this pile is the seats, headliner, bits of upholstery. Much need to be re-done but will serve are reference for replacements

That's all for this update.

Nicholas
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

Nicholas

Again as usual great work. Yes I prefer RHD too !!!

Roy
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

It has been a while but recently the Dash was installed and finished, Aerial hole drilled, Sill moulding holes drilled, Bonnet emblem holes drilled.....

Then we applied paint!!

Then we wheeled it out into the sunshine to enjoy it.

Ain't fresh paint something!

Nicholas
Steve F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

Stunning!! Well done! Very Happy
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

I would like to see how the steering column & shaft are to be installed, as the fuel tank is in the way there on T6.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
I would like to see how the steering column & shaft are to be installed, as the fuel tank is in the way there on T6.

That’s correct, so the tank gets modified to allow the required space. The pitman arm is also modified. It is my understanding that factory RHD vehicles used the T5 sheet metal in the area and a fuel tank without an external filler. I’m yet to verify that as fact.
Nicholas
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

I never had the guts to paint any of my cars "Come arrest me red" Laughing
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Jacks wrote:

It is my understanding that factory RHD vehicles used the T5 sheet metal in the area and a fuel tank without an external filler.
Well, sort of modified T5.. but later cars actually had external fill.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
sputnick60 wrote:
Jacks wrote:

It is my understanding that factory RHD vehicles used the T5 sheet metal in the area and a fuel tank without an external filler.
Well, sort of modified T5.. but later cars actually had external fill.

Thanks for that snippet of knowledge, Jack. I'm no Porsche expert so every bit helps me along the journey. It makes sense that the filler should be included with both LHD & RHD versions.

Nicholas
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

Nicholas,

Well done that car of yours looks fantastic. Jack is correct I owned for some years a RHD 1963 356C that still had the petrol tank and filler cap the same as my 356A. Remember what I mentioned about RHD pitman arms in my earlier post.

Roy
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

I have a few photos of the changes for RHD
The fuel tank.

The Pitman arm attached to the steering box

and the Handbrake lever

Nicholas
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:

Contact Adam Wright at Unobtanium

I just wrote to Unobtainium about the wheels and other bits that are climbing onto the shopping list. I'm needing the front bumper with its attaching irons along with some engine front and rear tinwork pieces. I hope those are as easy to find as the equivalent VW parts.

Nicholas
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

Wow! Sputnick60, I had no idea you had a 356. Very nice work so far. You are a luck man, sitting on gold there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: