Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
911 jared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA) Reply with quote

Hello all!

I know this topic may be beaten to death. And please forgive me. I did a search i found some helpful and some just old info. So i thought id ask again.

I have a 1990 Vanagon Westfalia (automatic) i simply need more power and want to stay smog compliant in California.
I only know of two places that do the subaru legacy motor swap in the Vanagaon that will cost $15-18k. I was referred to these two places.
-EuroPro in Costa Mesa CA
-California Westy in San Diego CA

Can anyone give any input on these shops? Pros and Cons. Or even recommend me a better shop? Thank you in advance.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA) Reply with quote

911 jared wrote:
Hello all!

I know this topic may be beaten to death. And please forgive me. I did a search i found some helpful and some just old info. So i thought id ask again.

I have a 1990 Vanagon Westfalia (automatic) i simply need more power and want to stay smog compliant in California.
I only know of two places that do the subaru legacy motor swap in the Vanagaon that will cost $15-18k. I was referred to these two places.

Can anyone give any input on these shops? Pros and Cons. Or even recommend me a better shop? Thank you in advance.

If you can install a crate engine yourself, go with boxeer.com for that price. It’s a turn key diesel setup. Mount and connect some wires and hoses and go.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA) Reply with quote

0cean wrote:
911 jared wrote:
Hello all!

If you can install a crate engine yourself, go with boxeer.com for that price. It’s a turn key diesel setup. Mount and connect some wires and hoses and go.

Agreed if you gonna spend that kind of coin, go diesel. Once diesel no worries with smog etcetera. Call Greg he'll walk you through it.

https://www.boxeer.com/collections/all/products/vanagon-engine-kit-vw-2-0-tdi-cr-cjaa
911 jared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA) Reply with quote

Thank you for the feed back. I’ll keep my options open for the diesel motor. Thanks!!
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA) Reply with quote

I would give these guys a call, http://subaruperformanceengines.com/ they build the engines for a lot of the aforementioned installers. I just completed one of their frankenmotor installs (most hp & torque you can get in a california SMOG compliant Subaru engine)

They probably won't do quite as nice of an install job as the other builders but should be significantly less expensive
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA) Reply with quote

The only CA smog legal Subie conversion is the 2.2L with about 130HP (not the 2.5L with 165HP). Plus, many of those Subie 2.2L engines are getting older and harder to find with low mileage. They are still a fine choice if you want modest gains and good reliability.

For similar money, you could also consider the CA smog legal VW 1.8T engine (Passat, Jetta, Golf, TT Roadster, etc) with 180-220 HP. Not too much power, but this engine makes a Westy drive like a modern vehicle. And, yes, it is compatible with an auto trans in good condition (see my signature below Wink ).

http://h2ovanagon.com/H2OVanagonConversions/OurEngineConversion.aspx

Stephan's Auto Haus in Sacramento pioneered the 1.8T conversion, got a Senate Bill to make it CA legal, and has an excellent overall reputation for their work and integrity.

Diesel is certainly a viable consideration too. Check out FAS conversions. They are on the East Coast but seem to pretty much set the gold standard when it comes to putting diesel engines into Vanagons/Westys.
911 jared
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA) Reply with quote

Thank you Jerry for the reply... and everyone above.

If anyone else has any input feel free to chime in.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA) Reply with quote

911 jared wrote:
Thank you for the feed back. I’ll keep my options open for the diesel motor. Thanks!!

The Subaru diesel can not be made smog legsl, as it was never offered in any California approved vehicle.
Any motor that was originally offered in a California approved vehicle can be used in your van.
Any ej series motor can be made California legal in your van; I'm doing an ej257 in mine.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA) Reply with quote

11BC2 wrote:

Any motor that was originally offered in a California approved vehicle can be used in your van.
Any ej series motor can be made California legal in your van; I'm doing an ej257 in mine.

Details please!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA) Reply with quote

Yes, it will be great to see a closeup photo of the applied BAR sticker if and when it gets one.
Many people have tried and failed to get past that last important hurdle with later Subaru and other engines in their T3 vehicles.
While the guidelines give the impression that you can do it there is some difficult to see fine print that the referees usually pull out into the light when you come to them.

Mark

ThankYouJerry wrote:
11BC2 wrote:

Details please!
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA) Reply with quote

11BC2 wrote:
911 jared wrote:

The Subaru diesel can not be made smog legsl, as it was never offered in any California approved vehicle.

I respectfully disagree with this. All you need to do is run the diesel through DMV registrations. There is nothing stating the engine has to be sold in the state. The age of the van is the determining factor of getting a diesel through dmv, not the engine. They just want to know if it’s a diesel or not for title purposes. After that, there is no smog for the van.

Cluster Rebuild:

Last edited by 0cean on Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:49 am; edited 2 times in total
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA) Reply with quote

Stick with a WBX, for that kind of money you can have a proper 2.2 built. While you’re at it put a new Harness in it and have the other bits rebuilt such as the throttle body and Distributor.
I own both. If you’re nearby are welcome to drive both. I like my Subaru but feel the WBX is just what belongs there and is a little more refined.
There are guys around that know how to properly build an engine, not just a mechanic that can assemble parts but properly check and double check during the process.
A friend of mine that has done probably 100s of Subaru conversions is now changing to 1.8T conversions as he feels they have fewer to no glitches once installed and running and you can still buy a brand new 1.8t.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA) Reply with quote

I am local to europro and Joe does great work.

My dad got some work done at SD westy and they were great to deal with as well.

Since you have a 90' I would almost consider keeping the wbx since there's still a lot of support for the 2.1

If I had that kind of budget I would go with the 1.8t through stephen's auto haus or gmwerks.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA) Reply with quote

Quote:

I respectfully disagree with this. All you need to do is run the diesel through DMV registrations. There is nothing stating the engine has to be sold in the state. The age of the van is the determining factor of getting a diesel through dmv, not the engine. They just want to know if it’s a diesel or not for title purposes. After that, there is no smog for the van.

You just might be correct.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA) Reply with quote

11BC2 wrote:
Quote:

I sure hope so. My whole build van is based on a californa registered diesel. Even though A good amount of research was done, I will be sweating bullets at the DMV soon. Surprised

Cluster Rebuild:

ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA) Reply with quote

0cean wrote:
11BC2 wrote:
Quote:

I sure hope so. My whole build van is based on a californa registered diesel. Even though A good amount of research was done, I will be sweating bullets at the DMV soon. Surprised

Your assumptions are correct. I converted the title on my dads van to diesel a few years ago at the dmv. It was a cake walk and I was in and out within 30 min.
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA) Reply with quote

Quote:
For similar money, you could also consider the CA smog legal VW 1.8T engine (Passat, Jetta, Golf, TT Roadster, etc) with 180-220 HP. Not too much power, but this engine makes a Westy drive like a modern vehicle. And, yes, it is compatible with an auto trans in good condition

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^
Cdub!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA) Reply with quote

You also have subiswaps in San Diego as an option
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA) Reply with quote

Whats the 18k break down for a SUbie look like?

Engine cost ????

Rework Engine ????

Fab mount ????

Total Labor ?????

Shop supplies 79.99

Grand Total 18,000

Im having trouble seeing that.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap advice. (Southern CA) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Whats the 18k break down for a SUbie look like?

Engine cost ????

Rework Engine ????

Fab mount ????

Total Labor ?????

Shop supplies 79.99

Grand Total 18,000

Im having trouble seeing that.

It's about what I paid for the engine swap at BusLab (I also had a rebuilt transaxle fitted, that was extra). Looked a hell of a lot when I was first given the estimate! However, with ~6k in labour, 5k for a completely re-built engine, plus all the fab bits (KEP and the rest), harness re-work, A/C re-furb and new CVs it sounded a lot more reasonable.

Agreed that it can be done for far, far less if you DIY all the way - but I looked at this as adding at least another ten years to the van's life so cheap enough for the fun we're now having. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: