Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I Dropped my Shifter
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: I Dropped my Shifter Reply with quote

Okay... I was being an idiot. I don't really deal with engines and transmissions. I bought a Formula Vee wood shift knob the other day and I went to replace it and the threads were to big. Being myself, I though I could just swap the whole assembly. Well I took my shifter off today and dropped whatever the part that holds the ball at the end of the stick into the tunnel. How do fix this?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I Dropped my Shifter Reply with quote

The hanger should be welded to the top inside of the tunnel. Are you saying the hanger and shift rod both fell to the bottom?

My hanger is broken too. The shifter bolts actually hold it up. Found this out when I pulled the shifter to replace a worn shift rod bushing. My welder was broken, so I just put it back the way it was. Maybe I'll weld the hanger next time I'm in there .
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I Dropped my Shifter Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
The hanger should be welded to the top inside of the tunnel. Are you saying the hanger and shift rod both fell to the bottom?

My hanger is broken too. The shifter bolts actually hold it up. Found this out when I pulled the shifter to replace a worn shift rod bushing. My welder was broken, so I just put it back the way it was. Maybe I'll weld the hanger next time I'm in there .

Hanger being the diamond looking thing? Then yes. The shift rod and the diamond looking thing fell. I know nothing about mechanicals Laughing kind of embarrassing.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I Dropped my Shifter Reply with quote

Try a magnet on a stick
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I Dropped my Shifter Reply with quote

Diamond looking thing? I guess the hanger base is kinda diamond shaped.
This?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If so you probably have the same situation I have. I just used the bolts that go through the shifter into the hanger to hold it up. Kinda fiddlely do do it that way. You kinda need to start one bolt at a time. Maybe use a coat hanger to help pull the rod and hanger up.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I Dropped my Shifter Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Diamond looking thing? I guess the hanger base is kinda diamond shaped.
This?

If so you probably have the same situation I have. I just used the bolts that go through the shifter into the hanger to hold it up. Kinda fiddlely do do it that way. You kinda need to start one bolt at a time. Maybe use a coat hanger to help pull the rod and hanger up.
Yeah that. I don't think mine even has the circle for the shift rod to go through. I'll have to check it out. Coat hanger might be the key. Calvinater, I'll try a magnet too.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I Dropped my Shifter Reply with quote

If the circle is gone, there is nothing to hold up the shift rod. There is a bushing that clips in the circle, and the rod passes through it.

Maybe a few pictures would help us see what your dealing with.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I Dropped my Shifter Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
If the circle is gone, there is nothing to hold up the shift rod. There is a bushing that clips in the circle, and the rod passes through it.

Maybe a few pictures would help us see what your dealing with.
I'll have to get some photos in the morning. I don't think there was anything holding the shift rod.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: I Dropped my Shifter Reply with quote

This is what you are dealing with....

Shift rod bracket should be spot welded to top of tunnel... IF bracket had dropped loose, spot welds probable let go...

An easy fix would be to bring bracket up and put bolts in (less shifter) and then drill a couple of holes in tunnel (old spot weld marks) and do a couple of pop rivets to keep bracket secure forever ...It only has to be held in place with rivets till shifter fully assembled with proper bolts... Easier than trying some coat hanger wire fix...

I hesitate to mention this but other option may be to drill a couple of holes in tunnel and do rosette welds BUT that is more complex and a danger to interior by sparks and potential fire.... And should be done by someone that can weld and has welding blankets and such to protect interior....The welding fix sort of falls into "don't try this at home" disclaimer you see on a lot of TV drama shows...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: I Dropped my Shifter Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Okay... I was being an idiot. I don't really deal with engines and transmissions. I bought a Formula Vee wood shift knob the other day and I went to replace it and the threads were to big. Being myself, I though I could just swap the whole assembly. Well I took my shifter off today and dropped whatever the part that holds the ball at the end of the stick into the tunnel. How do fix this?

I think he means that he dropped an adapter bushing into the tunnel. Maybe a magnet tool or a claw tool might help.

I don't think he means that he dropped the shift plate

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: I Dropped my Shifter Reply with quote

CT this is what Dale is describing for getting the shift rod bushing support welded in place.

This should be an easy repair since you know how to weld.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: I Dropped my Shifter Reply with quote

Yup dropped the shift plate and the shift rod. I'll have to grab a magnet and weld it on. No interior, so no worries. Thanks for all of the help guys!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: I Dropped my Shifter Reply with quote

I wasn't recommending he fix it with a coat hanger. I said use a coat hanger to hold the rod and bracket up against the top of the tunnel so you can get the bolts through the shifter, and into the bracket. No way I can get my fingers in there to grab it off the tunnel floor. Once you start both bolts, you can sandwich the holder, tunnel, reverse lock out plate, and shifter all with the two shifter bolts.

Rivets would be a solution as well. Welding is probably best. But just using the bolts to hold it all has worked for me for years. Many of which I didn't even know it was installed like that.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I Dropped my Shifter Reply with quote

Fixed it with no welding. Got a magnet stick and pulled the thing up. It does have the circle. Got my new shifter all set and then found out the little tab is too short so the thing spins around Brick wall Back to the drawing board on the shift knob. Any 12mm-7mm adapters?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I Dropped my Shifter Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Fixed it with no welding. Got a magnet stick and pulled the thing up. It does have the circle. Got my new shifter all set and then found out the little tab is too short so the thing spins around Brick wall Back to the drawing board on the shift knob. Any 12mm-7mm adapters?

Have you seen these adapters?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metric-Custom-Shift-Knob-...Sw5dJbcHvj

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I Dropped my Shifter Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

Have you seen these adapters?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metric-Custom-Shift-Knob-...Sw5dJbcHvj

Yes, but they are all 16mm base. I haven't found any 12mm ones.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: