Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

At what point does less become more?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

How many of us have taken on projects but put them on the back burner having every intention to "get to it one day", but as time rolls on that project sits there and reality slowly starts to creep in that maybe that project won't get done? Like many of us on this forum I have multiple Bugs with the desire to get them all up and running at some point. I have 3, 78 vert, 74 SB & a 61 ragtop. The 74 has been a 5 year body off restoration with the engine rebuild from Hell. That topic is in another forum. I had planned to repaint the 78 this past summer but the 74 took up all my time so now I don't know when that will get done. The 61 sits there waiting for me but so many other things just keep coming along that the 61 keeps getting pushed back and I'm starting to seriously question myself if I will ever find the time to do it. I love the look of the early 60's Bugs which is why I have such a hard time giving up on the 61. Quite a few guys would buy it from me in a heartbeat but I hate admitting defeat. I guess my question is, especially to guys like me who are on the backside of 50, at what point do you surrender to your "desires" and face reality?
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

Dump the 78 & 74 and put the 61 on the road for you to enjoy. You only live once.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

You have been snooping around my place haven't you! Shocked
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

This happened with my ‘59 single cab. Since I bought it, I’ve had my second and third kids. I’ve collected correct, original parts for it, as well as replacement metal but have had little to no time to do any metal work. In the mean time, I’ve put many hours on the road in my DC and improved it where necessary, i.e. rebuilt and reinstalled the steering box this week.

Between the family, which is and always will be my #1 project and the DC, which I’ve had for over 20 years, the SC sits, waits, and falls further out of my mind as something I figure into what little free time I have. You got to figure out what your eventual intentions are and make a decision. I might end up selling it, even if I find more time to restore it, but then again a SC has become senseless in a family of five! If crumbsnatcher #4 comes along, then the DC too becomes obsolete as a family carrier, and I’ll have to look for a passenger bus...gross.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

Yep, I think I have way to many irons in the fire. With my cars, bikes, machinery, art projects, house/property maintenance, family, work and the desire to go back to school, playing music, staying fit....then all the other bs raining down... gets very hectic when you start making lists.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
How many of us have taken on projects but put them on the back burner having every intention to "get to it one day", but as time rolls on that project sits there and reality slowly starts to creep in that maybe that project won't get done?

My 1970 was put into semi-retirement by me in 1993 due to needing to buy food for my kids, etc. It sat for 23 years on the side of my house until I resurrected it in 2016-2017.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

I threw in the towel when I moved many years ago and got rid of all my extra hoard. My very strong suggestion would be to sell everything except the '61. Doesn't matter how much money your gonna loose selling the Super Beetles, take the loss and swallow. 6 months after it is all gone you will be much happier. The '78 Vert & '74 SB will never be worth anything. Nobody really cares much about them. You only need one VW that you can go to shows with , enjoy driving, and be proud of. Today is the time to admit what you want in life. By writing this post I think you have already realized the reality of the situation.

As I'm approaching the door of 60 I'm starting to realize I must start thinning the heard. I currently have 3 VW's but all of them run and drive. I am starting to consider what happens to the mess others will have to clean up when my time comes to leave.

Hoarding is a mental illness.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

Getting rid of my Thing would be the smart thing to do. It would to take a bunch of money, fabrication, and motivation to make it good again.

But it's hard to admit defeat, and emotions so often trump sense. Sigh.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Dump the 78 & 74 and put the 61 on the road for you to enjoy. You only live once.

X2, maybe 3.

The money gained from those projects will put the ‘61 on the fast track towards completion.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

Here's my "harem" with a brief description of my connection with each.

1978 Convertible. I know some look down their noses at Supers but this car is an absolute fun car to drive. For me convertibles take driving to a whole new level of pleasure. I've learned how to manage the FI system, the R&P steering is so much better then the steering box in my 74, and the foam seats are so much more comfortable then the 74. Driving a long distance doesn't get uncomfortable at all.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1974 Super. When I was a kid I remember my dad having a black bug, so black bugs always will have a special meaning to me. This was the 1st bug I bought of my 3, and I bought it just because it was black. It is my first attempt at a restoration, meaning it's the first car I ever painted, did full interior & rebuilt the engine. A lot of time and $$ went into this car but I know I'll never get that $$ back. It was a learning experience and a love of the hobby. Not as fun to drive as the 78 but it's my handiwork.

1961 Ragtop. Obviously it's a project car. I have all the pieces exxcept for the bumpers. I bought this because I like the look of the early 60's bugs with the big headlights, over rider bumpers, and low back seats. I know this would be the most "valuable" of my 3, but I'm not certain it would be the most fun to drive. I've never driven a ragtop, in fact I've never driven a Standard bug, I just don't know if it would be as much fun as the 78.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

I'd keep the 78 and 62 and dump the other. To much clutter, junk, parts, "stuff" causes stress and anxiety. Too many projects do the same.

A couple of years ago I started looking at some VW parts, engines and other things I'd never use. I sold them all and felt a big relief. Plus it cleared up a lot of room in the storage shed.

I also have three VW's. Two are fully restored and the other needs to be repainted and the interior fixed. All have been mechanically refreshed and drive wonderfully. It's actually a lot of work to keep three classic VW's. Just keeping up on the PM's, driving them on the freeway to keep fluids moving, can be time consuming.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

One thing I've noticed is that it's a lot harder to maintain enthusiasm for a non-running project. In light of seeing all three cars, I agree with Bill: keep one of the 70's cars so that you can keep enjoying a VW while you work on your '62. Cool

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

If the 78 is road ready keep it. Sell the other 2 projects.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

I'd keep the vert and the '61.
ebenasky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

This is a timely post for me. I had built up my '64 back in '12 and then the clutch went out. At that time I had someone offer to sell me a '74 Super. It needed a bit of work and had the typical cancer but nothing too bad. Flash forward to this year. I finally got the clutch fixed on my '64 and sold the Super (after racking up 10k miles) to a family that knew nothing about VW's and they got it for their 15 yr old because it was "cute". I am usually VERY particular about selling to a "non" VW'er but I just didn't care this time.

However - my '64 is a different story.

Now I need to finish my '60, '70, and '71 Bus...

At least my wife is fairly OK with my expenses. She REALLY enjoyed the '64 now that it is running now.

- '60 Beetle "Ruby"
- '70 Beetle "Peace"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

If your goal is one to drive keep the convertible. If you want a curb/garage queen keep the 61. After driving the other two you will not be happy driving the 61. The standard Beetle will never ever hold the road, ride or handle like a Super Beetle.

Just sell me the 78, that is the one that excites me!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

I guess many of us are in the same boat. I’ve got 54 bug,55 bug, 63 bug, 65 double cab, 67 bug and a 74 bug. Only the 74 is up and running. Plus I’m getting older and nearing retirement and have a few health issues and I’ll be moving within next five years. Very Happy
Hoxviii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

I had too many projects in the past, and realized it was to the detriment of the nicest one. Money going to get a car back together is money that can't go to keeping the nice one on the road if anything goes wrong, and a sitting car just deteriorates.

Then I moved cross country, which was the perfect opportunity to sell everything, find a nice, solid car that still needs some work but the body won't have to come off of the pan, and just have one old VW to putt around in.

Now I don't have my stash of random VW parts anymore which means I'll be buying more little parts than I would have before, but now all the VW funds are going to one VW instead of 3- and the one needs less than any of the other 3 by a wide margin- meaning this car will be on the road much more quickly than if I was still staring at 3 cars.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I'd keep the 78 and 62 and dump the other.

scottyrocks wrote:
I'd keep the vert and the '61.

Agree with these guys. From what you said above, it sounds like you like the '78 Convertible better and if you want a project car too, you can do some clearing out of all the extra stuff and focus on the '61 Ragtop.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point does less become more? Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
One thing I've noticed is that it's a lot harder to maintain enthusiasm for a non-running project. In light of seeing all three cars, I agree with Bill: keep one of the 70's cars so that you can keep enjoying a VW while you work on your '62. Cool
This is my thought as well. At least at a later time, the convertible would have SOME value and would be easier to sell. I'm in a the same sort of situation. I've had my '55 for over 15 years, but with working full time, rebuilding a house, a wife, maybe some other hobby, I'm tired of it sitting. The days of pulling an engine after going to school and work isn't going to happen anymore. I have a running/driving '63 ragtop, so that keeps the anxiety away, but I do miss looking in the rear view mirror and seeing an oval rear window.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: