Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this on the side of the distributor?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: What is this on the side of the distributor? Reply with quote

Hi Samba Family,

I was cleaning the grounding wires in the engine bay under the coil. During this process, I inadvertently broke this electrical connector off the side of the distributor Shocked It just crumbled when I touched it and pulled on the connector. Looks like theres 4 wires that go into the distributor from this thing. Although both plastic ends of the electrical holders are broken, the wires and still linked thank God, so I can drive it for now.

My question is: What is this thing? Is it easily replaceable - can I do it?
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your comments.
Sincerely,
Noah
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this on the side of the distributor? Reply with quote

If you're an 86-91 -- the Hall Unit

http://www.gowesty.com/product/electrical/24417/hall-sensor-assembly-kit-for-distributor
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this on the side of the distributor? Reply with quote

Best to buy a new replacement at this point in time, they are not horribly expensive and definitely better on the wallet and soul than having to deal with a breakdown and tow.
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this on the side of the distributor? Reply with quote

The Hall Unit - Thanks for posting the link to GoWesty. $144 bucks isn't too bad. It surely is cheaper than a tow and a motel while on the road.
Thanks guys, I'll order that ASAP.
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this on the side of the distributor? Reply with quote

Looking at the GoWesty website, it looks like I could get an entire new distributor that comes with Hall sensor and all for $69. Are these aftermarket distributors considered a far cry from restoring my OEM distributor?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: What is this on the side of the distributor? Reply with quote

86VaNa60N wrote:
Looking at the GoWesty website, it looks like I could get an entire new distributor that comes with Hall sensor and all for $69. Are these aftermarket distributors considered a far cry from restoring my OEM distributor?

Not just a far cry, a sob fest.

Seriously, I don’t know the aftermarket Vanagon parts at all, but if it’s anything like the rest of the Chinese supply chain, avoids it whenever possible
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: What is this on the side of the distributor? Reply with quote

"If it ain't broke, don't go replacing it with any old piece of Chinese crap"

Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: What is this on the side of the distributor? Reply with quote

See parallel thread!
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: What is this on the side of the distributor? Reply with quote

All the VAG products I own made from around 1980 or so have that plug on the side of the distributor for the hall unit. I have many that are broken, either from age and mileage of from hamfisted mechanics who broke them. Oh, wait, I work on my own stuff! But about 30,000 miles ago on my 1986 with the Audi 3b engine(same plug), it was broken and I didn't have a spare. I inspected the plug and found that there are 3 brass pieces of metal across the bottom soldered to wires that go to the hall unit.Since I have safety wire and pliers, I carefully drilled a small hole through the plug above the brass plates and wires, but so that I could put safety wire through the hole and around the distributor to hold the connector firmly to the distributor, in the same place and way the crumbled plastic did. I ordered a new hall unit, thinking I would replace it when it came in. Well, that was 30,000 miles ago. The new hall unit is still on the shelf. The safety wire is holding fine, and when I converted the engine from the defunct hybrid Eurospec/Tiico/South African fuel injection to Digifant this summer, I was not tempted to replace it. YMMV, and this free advice is worth what it cost you!
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: What is this on the side of the distributor? Reply with quote

it's busted and a frustrating source of miss fires and vehicle abandonment

the only acceptable reason to cob one back together is because you are already out in the bush when you discover why it's running like carp, if it's even starting at all.

replace it.. use your best sensibilities. for costs vs quality.

the 86-91 distributor doesn't have any flyweight timing internals.. it's just a hall sensor.. make sure not to manhandle that plug in the future..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: What is this on the side of the distributor? Reply with quote

Thanks you guys, I think I'll go with replacing the Hall unit and avoid aftermarket stuff. Its always an adventure.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: What is this on the side of the distributor? Reply with quote

As long as the wires aren't frayed, settle the connector base back into place and put a zip-tie around the connector and diz body just below the cap rim, that's actually a good long-term fix. I sure wouldn't waste my money on a new Hall gen or a new diz just to remedy two little underbuilt plastic tabs breaking.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: