Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad buyer experience / thoughts
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MMSales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Bad buyer experience / thoughts Reply with quote

I recently sold a part to someone on this site, I had a bit of a delay shopping it out (3 or 4 days) buyer was impatient so I had mot daughter drop it off for me at the usps, she sent me a picture of the survey portion of the recording that I forwarded thinking it was the tracking.
A couple weeks go by and I was contacted because it did not show up, tracking number showed nothing (because it was a survey number) and o had thrown away the recording with priority mail being 3 days. I was unable to go to the usps in a timely manner so I refunded his money so he could buy another part.

I make it to the post office a few days later and the clerk was able to find the shipment, it was delivered, now the buyer will not respond to my emails.... I'm out a few bucks in shipping and a part.

I have sold parts to people with personal checks, sending the parts before getting payments and never a problem, the VW community is full of good people. I struggled with if I should share his name in the buyer and seller feedback but decided not to. It's not about the part or money to me, I am just hopeful he does not do it to someone else and I hope he changes his ways.

I guess there really is no point to this other than in my experience 99% of VW people are good, thesamba is a good helpful site and I wish I could do as well with gambling on people on a daily basis as I do with VW people.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bad buyer experience / thoughts Reply with quote

How much $ are you out? I know it shouldn't matter but if it was a few bucks, I'd move on. Over $100, I'd post it in his feedback thread.

Like you, I had for the most part nothing but positive experiences buying and selling to the VW community. Some truly excellent people.

I wouldn't let this one bad apple get you too down. You could change you processes of shipping parts to prevent it from happening again. Always keep the tracking numbers. Some will only ship parts where the buyer pays the insurance.

Either way, 99% of the VW folks I buy/sell to are awesome.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bad buyer experience / thoughts Reply with quote

Unfortunately there are people out there that are dishonest. Also there is the possibility that the item was delivered and the person didn't see the package. I sold a camera lens on Ebay and a month later I get a message that he never received the lens. I had the tracking and it was delivered. Come to find out, the kid who bought the lens lived in a frat house. He found the package after the ebay case was closed.

But who knows, some people are dishonest assholes and have no integrity. I hope this gets sorted out and he doesn't do that to someone else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MMSales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bad buyer experience / thoughts Reply with quote

It was not enough for me to worry about, it's just a bummer. Typically I don't shop until there is payment but I have on a few occasions to help people out, that is what is all about to me, but only with fairly inexpensive parts.

Maybe he did not see it but I sent him the tracking number after 45 min at the post office, left him know his complaint was with the USPS and that I held up my end and he won't even respond let alone pay what he owes.

I am unable to file a claim with the USPS because it was delivered, he may be able to buy I am not. It sucks if he did not get the past but I upheld my end......
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bad buyer experience / thoughts Reply with quote

MMSales wrote:
I recently sold a part to someone on this site, I had a bit of a delay shopping it out (3 or 4 days) buyer was impatient so I had mot daughter drop it off for me at the usps, she sent me a picture of the survey portion of the recording that I forwarded thinking it was the tracking.
A couple weeks go by and I was contacted because it did not show up, tracking number showed nothing (because it was a survey number) and o had thrown away the recording with priority mail being 3 days. I was unable to go to the usps in a timely manner so I refunded his money so he could buy another part.

I make it to the post office a few days later and the clerk was able to find the shipment, it was delivered, now the buyer will not respond to my emails.... I'm out a few bucks in shipping and a part.

Communication is key. I've been selling on The Samba for over 10 years. I've always keep buyers apprised if I've been delayed in shipping. Always, always, ALWAYS keep a record of correspondence in the event the situation escalates. Practice CYA (cover your ass). Also, if you accept payment via Paypal, you should leverage the label shipping feature which includes the tracking number. A bit of vigilance and attention to detail goes a long way.

Quote:

I have sold parts to people with personal checks, sending the parts before getting payments and never a problem, the VW community is full of good people. I struggled with if I should share his name in the buyer and seller feedback but decided not to. It's not about the part or money to me, I am just hopeful he does not do it to someone else and I hope he changes his ways.

You're assuming a great deal of risk by shipping parts before payment is received. I got burned once when a buyer expressed interest in some sheet metal on a car I was cutting up. I went ahead and cut the section, but then he backed out because he didn't want to pay shipping. This was before I learned how to properly part VWs at the spot welds, so I was stuck with a hacked piece of sheet metal. After that, I made it my policy to never start work until payment is received unless I've already sections the vehicle by its pieces.

Quote:

I guess there really is no point to this other than in my experience 99% of VW people are good, thesamba is a good helpful site and I wish I could do as well with gambling on people on a daily basis as I do with VW people.

People are people, and there are bad apples in every group. I was part of a vintage tractor community, and those guys had the same false belief as is carried here. "Allis people are always honest. I would expect this from a John Deere guy" was a common refrain.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bad buyer experience / thoughts Reply with quote

I'd post his name in the Buyer/Seller Feedback section, along with an appropriate review.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bad buyer experience / thoughts Reply with quote

This sounds like something I would post feedback on since he has basically stolen the part from you.

If you want to post feedback:
I would probably start with giving him the benefit of the doubt that he is not getting your emails by explaining the situation and ask that he contact you again to re-send the payment. If there is no progress, you can post an update soon afterward saying there has been no reply or money.

If you want me to email him first with my Buyer & Seller admin message, contact me directly with the info on what it was, the money involved, etc.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bad buyer experience / thoughts Reply with quote

You need to post in the feedback to help others avoid dishonest people. If you do leave feedback and the problem does become resolved you can later have Everett remove the negative feedback.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad buyer experience / thoughts Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
You need to post in the feedback to help others avoid dishonest people. If you do leave feedback and the problem does become resolved you can later have Everett remove the negative feedback.

I agree exactly. Your experience can only help others this way. Buyers search feedback as a basic tool- not just in expectancy of bad experience. I wish I had a feedback thread even though I've only been a buyer! I want folks to feel confident in selling me parts.

Your feedback need only explain facts too. You can leave out emotion and anything flame-related, and let the readers make up their minds.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
MMSales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bad buyer experience / thoughts Reply with quote

Funny but I got a response yesterday, nothing I am happy with but he bought himself some time. People are what matter, things are just things so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for now. I have all the correspondences and if there is no resolve I will post feedback and I may take you up on the offer EverettB, but regardless thank you for the offer and all you do!
MMSales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad buyer experience / thoughts Reply with quote

Resolved! This was by far the most flawed transaction I have ever had with a sale. First tracking number I sent was wrong, typically this would not be a big deal..... I was unaware but the buyer was out of the country and I shipped to a distribution facility and it caused confusion with them. When I saw it was delivered and he had not recieved I think it really meant that the distributor was looking for a non existant tracking number. Customer paid, all is well, life is good and my experience with selling on the samba is still 100%.
Only problem was this transaction took far more of my time than it was worth but as long as a VW owner got a part to get there car closer to / back on the road I'm happy.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad buyer experience / thoughts Reply with quote

MMSales wrote:
Resolved! This was by far the most flawed transaction I have ever had with a sale. First tracking number I sent was wrong, typically this would not be a big deal..... I was unaware but the buyer was out of the country and I shipped to a distribution facility and it caused confusion with them. When I saw it was delivered and he had not recieved I think it really meant that the distributor was looking for a non existant tracking number. Customer paid, all is well, life is good and my experience with selling on the samba is still 100%.
Only problem was this transaction took far more of my time than it was worth but as long as a VW owner got a part to get there car closer to / back on the road I'm happy.

Fantastic news! The only way this could have been more clustered is if you had actually sold him a distributor ! Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: