Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking to rebuild a Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calib0rx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Looking to rebuild a Thing Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and Things. Quick background, my wife has always had a soft spot for the Thing and I'm at a point in my life I'm ready to start looking for a project car to rebuild from the ground up for her.

I'm not in any rush. I want to take my time, and most importantly get to know the community of folks who love and cherish their Things so I make the right decisions before buying one and starting the build process.

I have some experience doing restoration/rebuild work. I worked in a classic car shop in my teens and built a 70 Chevelle SS for myself from a rolling chassis (my bodywork was, well, subpar but damn if she didn't haul ass). After that, I got deep into 4x4's and had a few HiLux's. Unfortunately, a career, kids and a divorce later I don't have anything fun in the garage anymore.

So, that's a long-winded way of saying hi and I'd love to hear your stories and suggestions as I contemplate going down this path. Here are a couple of data points on my build requirements, or lack thereof:

* Must be a soft top at the end of the build
* Not concerned about being period correct
* Aftermarket metal or composite/fiberglass parts are ok, I want to avoid metal work when possible
* Modernized electronics
* Ok with starting with a rolling chassis
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to rebuild a Thing Reply with quote

First, I’d ask where you are in Ga. Second, having just done a full body off restoration, I’ll tell you it will cost more than you think. Most people will tell you to buy what you want, enjoy it right now, and avoid the hassle of the “project”, unless you can do 90%+ of it yourself, and you will enjoy the “hunt”, and are in no hurry.
calib0rx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to rebuild a Thing Reply with quote

I have the time, resources, and desire to do a full body off. I can weld, have a sandblaster, and don't mind the effort of finishing out bodywork and the associated sanding. Only thing I'd need to outsource is the paint.

This isn't about cost. It's about the journey. I fully expect it to take me 3-4 years to finish. This type of project is a labor of love, not one of expediency.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to rebuild a Thing Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
55chevy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to rebuild a Thing Reply with quote

Here is one for $1600 not too far from Georgia in Pensacola:

https://pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/d/1974-volkswagen-vw-thing/6685297765.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to rebuild a Thing Reply with quote

Depending where you are in Ga, I’m just across the line in Western NC, and know of a pretty good stash of parts. Not mine, but real close.
Jeremy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to rebuild a Thing Reply with quote

calib0rx,

I'm just about finished with the restoration of our thing. Its taken a little over 1.5 years from start to finish. There's some things you definitely want to look out for before you buy a project. #1 is rust. The corners and bottoms of the rockers seem to be the worst along with the mounting holes for the fenders and jack points. rust under the battery tray is pretty typical. Also check the bottoms of the doors and thoroughly go over the top frame. If you get a 73 make sure the heater is in working order. All of the parts listed above add up quickly. Here's some pics for encouragement

iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to rebuild a Thing Reply with quote

That is encouraging!
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to rebuild a Thing Reply with quote

You can get a bunch of ideas on Ron and my website we have over 2000 pictures of VW Things with pictures of how we build them http://kubeltreffen181.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: