Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SizzleT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Recently my Mexi has developed a terrible engine cut issue. It all stared about a moth ago. I had to make a very quick maneuver to avoid an animal in the road, and the engine seemed to shut off and decel regardless of throttle input. A few seconds after, it picked right back up and I went on my merry way assuming it was a safety feature to kill the engine while experience large G forces in the event of a crash. I have experienced this in other vehicles equipped with fuel inertia switches.

However since that day, this issue has gotten progressively worse. Last night I had to limp the car home as the slightest pot hole or curve would cause it to die. The pump does not seem to prime as it used to, it's hit or miss whether it will or not. These issues are also repeatable regardless of fuel tank level.

Any thoughts?
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

To me that sounds like a loose fuse in the pump circuit
Or the idle control valve’s wiring not properly making connection. Try to check the fuse on the pump and its relay.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Sizzle, check relay #30
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The soldering is known to be bad on some relays:
http://1600i.de/1600i-elektronik/relais-steuergeraet/CheckingandrepairingtheECUrelay.htm
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
SizzleT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, Ill be sure to check every point in that circuit and get back with you all
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

plagos_g wrote:
I don’t see blue smoke, and the oil level hasn’t dropped at all since I changed it back in May

if relly your rings are worn you may be burning oil and diluting the rest with petrol... that would also explain the smell.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Did you or Do you have digifant...if so have you tried the code reader....?
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

here is the video for making an OBDII for a mexibeetle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=030ywEcVT_A&t=15s
you can get the connector from Amazon much better than trying to find in scrap yard...Good luck Sam
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Our club went for a cruise to a local enthusiast yesterday, among his collection were the following:
'90 Mexican Beetle

'93 Brazilian Bus:

'01 Mexican Beetle (the white one Laughing ):

'97 Mexican Beetle imported to Canada from Japan:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

That kombi looks Mexican to me. Brazil made air cooled ones until 2006, if I remember correctly
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

plagos_g wrote:
That kombi looks Mexican to me. Brazil made air cooled ones until 2006, if I remember correctly

Could be, I just assumed it was Brazilian Smile
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hey folks, I need some help, I'm in the need of these:

(from the intake manifold)

Here in Chile, the only supply store which works with old volkswagen cars doesn't import them any more.
This is for a friend's customer.
The car wouldn't idle, was running very hot and rich, hissing noise all over. These rubber pieces were broken.
Do you know where I could find them on internet to ship them here?
And, what needs to be removed to change them?
Can it be replaced by just two rubber hoses together?
Thanks in advance.

Now, back to my beetle. I asume the smell is actually from oil so I'll have to take the engine apart at some point.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

The part number is BAA129729A. I found one for sale in Brazil:

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-823222681-...29729a-_JM
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I see. I also posted on local forum Beetlefriends. Luckily another member has a used one that works, and he will send it to me. On the other hand, another member imports parts from Mexico, so I ordered a pair of new ones!
Thanks for the help!
SizzleT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Inspected the fuel pump relay, cleaned the terminals and haven't had a problem since.

Also, has anyone ever added a tach to one of these? If so, what is used for the signal?
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I found a video on YouTube, the green wire from the transformer (signal) can be taken to get the signal to the tachometer.
You can run the wire through the upper left part of the roof as there is no foam blocking the way, and then to the front trunk
I’ll try to take a picture soon
veedweeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

SizzleT wrote:
Inspected the fuel pump relay, cleaned the terminals and haven't had a problem since.

Also, has anyone ever added a tach to one of these? If so, what is used for the signal?

Apologies for the epically poor camera phone pics!

First - Choose a rev counter - This is the one I bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290586965084?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Second - Choose somewhere suitable for it to live in your car - I decided to mount it under the dash - It meant removing the screw holding the pod on to the face, spinning the housing 180 degrees, and refitting the screw - the only issue this cases is that the number of cylinders selection switch is now not accessible anymore due to the cutout being in the wrong place. It's not an issue, just remeber to set it before screwing the pod back on!
I then used servo tape to secure the mounting bracket to the underside of the dash so I could make sure it was in the right place, and drill the holes for the fixing screws. Once this is done, you also need to drill a larger (I went 12mm) hole for the wiring to go through. The reason I went 12mm was so I could poke an old spark plug lead end through the hole to prevent any chafing of the wires. You could do a proper job with a grommet, however I didn't have any to hand!

Third - Connect the wires up as per the rev counters instructions. On this particular one, black goes to ground, white goes to the dash lights, red goes to ignition +12v, and green is the signal wire. Normally this would go to the coil, however there isn't one on injection mexis, so it has to go to the coil pack. Once you have fannyed around routing a wire from the dash to the engine compartment, you're ready to do a bit of soldering!

Remove the coil pack (it's the square block on the fan housing, just above the distributor) and then prize the little cover with 2 holes in up. This will reveal 2 terminals, you want the terminal with the 1 embossed above it. Next, clean up terminal to remove the coating, or your solder won't stick! Then solder a length of wire to the terminal. Please see the pic below:

I drilled one of the holes in the flap out slightly to enable the wire to pass through, and then closed the flap again, here it is below:

Finally, connect the wire you've threaded through the car to the length you fitted to the coilpack, bolt it all back in, and off you go!

All the above taken from here: https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showpost.php?p=8210701&postcount=17
veedweeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

My 2000 Mexican bug is showing the normal hot start/hard start problems - turn the key and the warning lights come on the dash but the starter doesn't turn the engine over.

It's a 1600i engine so the wiring is a bit more complicated than slightly earlier bugs.

I was going to replace the starter but I thought I'd look into the much simpler fix of a hard start relay. Can they be fitted to the 1600i Mexibugs?
Todd19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I am interested in checking out a 1976 Mexican Beetle for sale in the US, provided he has it titled correctly.

I was just wondering if someone knows what differences there are for that year between an American model as far as the engine, brakes, and suspension. I know it is still carbureted not FI, but as far as what carb, alternator vs generator, what kind of rear suspension, if it had duel circuit brakes. I'm not very informed on any of that.

I like that it doesn't have a lot of the tacked on american model parts, and it doesn't have the death rot vents.

1974 Standard Beetle - Pacha - sold

http://classicveedubs.blogspot.com/
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

A few pages back I posted that I'm starting to have some oil leaks, around the oil filler on the right hand side and near the oil pressure sensor on the left hand side (which I replaced in 2015).

On the left hand side it is looking like the oil was coming from behind, maybe from behind the fan shroud, which lead me to think that the seals for the oil cooler might be leaking. On the right hand side, the oil is coming from the filler, which made me think the 'O' ring was failing.

Odd that both would fail at the same time.

Anyways, I finally had some time to look at it. The oil appears to be coming from the Air Control Valve, dripping down to the left side, and being flushed back (or sucked) through the air cleaner to the top of filler.

I don't see how the operation of the air control valve would draw oil, unless it is sucking through the air cleaner. There is oil in the tube from the air cleaner to the value (see last pic).

The car starts and runs fine, the only symptom I feel is that if I press the gas down and let off, the engine will rev down to almost stall and back to normal idle.

My first thought is to simply replace the value, does anyone think it might be something else.

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

There's a classic issue with the ACV. Oil vapors will enter the air filter. The vapors will condense on it, and will go through the ACV.
This can happen if the oil was overfilled, or there's a pressure leak to it from the cylinders (rings worn maybe?)
In YouTube mexican beetle channels this is a common topic.
Have you checked the paper filter? I bet there's an oil stain on it by the ACV output.

EDIT
Also. This valve rarely breaks down, it just gets clogged. To verify its operation, measure the resistance on its terminals. The value should be between 5 and 10 ohms. It can be cleaned with carb cleaner, or another solvent.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 86 of 192

Jump to: