Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you remove wires from sockets-ie ignition switch
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: How do you remove wires from sockets-ie ignition switch Reply with quote

How do you remove the wires from the black plastic ignition switch socket on the steering column.

It appears that there may be some corrosion on some wire ended on mine and I wanted to remove the wires and clean the ends.

For the headlight sockets the spades were much larger and I was able to get a small screwdriver in the slots to remove each wire.

For the ignition switch the wires are much smaller.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for the tang sticking out on one side of the metal portion. Stick a jeweler's screwdriver in from the same side as the wire enters the socket, depress the tang, and pull the wire out.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They make special tools to remove those terminals. I have one that I made that works just as good. PM me with your address and I will mail you one. I would not try to remove the terminal from the wire side, you could damage the terminal. There is a slot in the plastic plug in the terminal hole that is used to insert the release tool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
They make special tools to remove those terminals. I have one that I made that works just as good. PM me with your address and I will mail you one. I would not try to remove the terminal from the wire side, you could damage the terminal. There is a slot in the plastic plug in the terminal hole that is used to insert the release tool.

do you have any more of these tools sir? I'd like one!
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in crystal white pearl
2022 Subaru Outback Limited XT in cinnamon brown pearl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: How do you remove wires from sockets-ie ignition switch Reply with quote

In most cases, a thick paper clip works just fine for this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: How do you remove wires from sockets-ie ignition switch Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/terminal-removal-tool
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you remove wires from sockets-ie ignition switch Reply with quote

That is an awesome reference. Thanks!
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you remove wires from sockets-ie ignition switch Reply with quote

Another great job. Thanks Gary. I think there should be a single place to keep all the electrical posts that you and the Captain have contributed. This is great stuff!
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: How do you remove wires from sockets-ie ignition switch Reply with quote

I ordered a set of those e-bay removal tools, for less than ten bucks, why not? I'm going to completely rewire Hermann, because all that works now are the head and tail lights. Besides, I have to add wiring for the semaphores and 'Notek' lights, and I'm sure I'll be 'de-wiring' some of the stock plugs and sockets.

BNMike
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you remove wires from sockets-ie ignition switch Reply with quote

If you really want to "go wild" and create your own wiring harness, a good way to proceed is to first make it out of cheap string (like kite string).
You can plan all of your breakouts, etc., and get all of your lengths just right before you start cutting any wire.

There are many kinds of connectors available today, both sealed and non-sealed, that are highly superior to 1970's OEM stuff. Check this guy:
http://www.cycleterminal.com/motorcycle-connectors.html

Tesa 51026 Heat Proof Engine Compartment Wiring Tape is a good way to bind wiring looms; it's pretty common on currently manufactured German cars.

So have fun with this; Winter is coming, so take your time and enjoy!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: How do you remove wires from sockets-ie ignition switch Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
If you really want to "go wild" and create your own wiring harness, a good way to proceed is to first make it out of cheap string (like kite string).
You can plan all of your breakouts, etc., and get all of your lengths just right before you start cutting any wire.

There are many kinds of connectors available today, both sealed and non-sealed, that are highly superior to 1970's OEM stuff. Check this guy:
http://www.cycleterminal.com/motorcycle-connectors.html

Tesa 51026 Heat Proof Engine Compartment Wiring Tape is a good way to bind wiring looms; it's pretty common on currently manufactured German cars.

So have fun with this; Winter is coming, so take your time and enjoy!

Thanks, Mondshine, I'd never thought of using string to plan my runs. I've got one of Watkins' wiring packages, with new connectors and 'plug in' fuses, but it's not a harness, so I'm going to have to plan my own runs. There's nothing 'stock' on Hermann, except maybe the drive train, so it's all up to me. Before I pull any of the intact wiring, I'll make sketches and pictures, so I don't forget where it went.

BNMike
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: How do you remove wires from sockets-ie ignition switch Reply with quote

About 45 years ago, I owned a 1968 Fiat 124 Special.
It was a really cool 4 door, but not engineered for the Michigan climate.
The reason I mention this car is that one of its unusual features was that every wire in the car's electrical system was red; no color coding whatsoever! (Thanks Fiat)

Need a new toy?

Link
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: How do you remove wires from sockets-ie ignition switch Reply with quote

Hear your pain, my International Scout has all green wires, they do have small numbers on them though!
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: How do you remove wires from sockets-ie ignition switch Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:

Need a new toy?

Curse you.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: How do you remove wires from sockets-ie ignition switch Reply with quote

Helps us examine the difference between want and need Wink
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you remove wires from sockets-ie ignition switch Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Helps us examine the difference between want and need Wink

I have until this point been satisfied with marking cables with a P-Touch label and then covering with clear heat shrink tubing. I suspect that method may even be more durable than the heat-shrink P-Touch tubing. But it's not as slick.

If it were just a matter of buying the heat-shrink cartridges, I'd jump on it right away. But my 15 year old printer isn't compatible. It also hasn't given me a single hiccup in all its years. I have no excuse to discard it in favor of a new printer. If I had a project brewing that required a lot of labelling, I could at least work with the rationalization that I would save time by making the labeling a one step process instead of a two step process. But as I have matured (let's face it. I haven't matured. I've just grown older.) the old rationalization engine has become less robust, and I have to work harder to come up with reasoning to buy more stuff that I don't really need, but really want.

In this case, Spock is definitely mistaken.

Link
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you remove wires from sockets-ie ignition switch Reply with quote

Yes, but Stonn and T'pring went home happy.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: How do you remove wires from sockets-ie ignition switch Reply with quote

BNMike wrote:

Thanks, Mondshine, I'd never thought of using string to plan my runs. I've got one of Watkins' wiring packages, with new connectors and 'plug in' fuses, but it's not a harness, so I'm going to have to plan my own runs. There's nothing 'stock' on Hermann, except maybe the drive train, so it's all up to me. Before I pull any of the intact wiring, I'll make sketches and pictures, so I don't forget where it went.

BNMike

Just for laughs, check out these "Binky Guys", they make some very entertaining videos.

Link
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: How do you remove wires from sockets-ie ignition switch Reply with quote

Just for laughs, check out these "Binky Guys", they make some very entertaining videos.

Link
[/quote]

Thanks, Mondshine……

That's got a couple interesting ideas. The only place my 'additions' will use more power than the stock parts are the semaphores, working at the same time as the regular turn signals. The Noteks and regular head and tail lights are not on at the same time, so there's no extra there.

I like the English humor, I have James May's 'The People's Car' series DVR'd.

BNMike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: