Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

People tell me it's not possible, but I have a memory of being inside a car in the back seat looking up at the roof and seeing windows as if I was a baby being held in someone's lap; similar to your photo. I like to say it's my memory of being brought home from the hospital as a newborn.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

I love this photo and story Eric Marshall Green, keep this up, keep looking for more photos too!

Eric Marshall Green wrote:
Found this photo yesterday. Me as a baby in the back of my father's 1952 356 coupe. Apparently all I liked doing was riding in the car. My first memory is looking up at street lights in the rain as we entered my hometown of Gorham, New Hampshire. This must have been 1957.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

And the 356 in the movie Quantum Run 356. Just a few soundless clips but gives a feeling of what is to come. https://app.frame.io/f/455002af-0755-4bb3-a289-ab85033add4d

Feel free to share this if you want. !0 minute reel to appear soon.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Eric do you have any idea when the film will debut?

And the 356 in the movie Quantum Run 356. Just a few soundless clips but gives a feeling of what is to come. https://app.frame.io/f/455002af-0755-4bb3-a289-ab85033add4d

Feel free to share this if you want. !0 minute reel to appear soon.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SatireChuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Absolutely stunning! And what a lovely project and tribute to your father. I look forward to seeing the Documentary.

—Brother Chuck

———

Brother Chuck’s VW’s:

1968 VW Beetle
1971 VW Bus (Currently under restoration)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Some of you might enjoy these photos by my wife taken on the Quantum Run 356: http://quantumrun356.com/2018/08/01/please-help-pick-your-favorite-dozen/
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Nothing better than a long road trip!
From someone who annually ran California to eastern Ontario for 12 yrs driving some Snowbird friends home I can appreciate the feeling of accomplishment.
Well done sir, esp in such a classy repro.
My hat is off to you!

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Thank you Paul and Brother Chuck and all that contact me directly. Found this today. My parents on their wedding day in 1953. My dad told me he was so worried his guys would screw up the paint. They did not! Cheers to the drivers out there.

79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Very nice pic. They look very happy indeed. My parents were married just around the beginning of 1953.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Excellent photo they look so happy Very Happy

Thank you Paul and Brother Chuck and all that contact me directly. Found this today. My parents on their wedding day in 1953. My dad told me he was so worried his guys would screw up the paint. They did not! Cheers to the drivers out there.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

New trailer. Just finished two days of amazing footage in Binghamton, New York. Sam Ladd, an amazing electric guitar player, shredding as a freight train going by was just ONE of the many highlights. Photos if requested.

New trailer just out! https://vimeo.com/289155726 Password: quantum.
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Poster from the Dowling Walsh Gallery:

Cammie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

"road ahead"?
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Bumped into this cool 356 replica build on Petrolicious. Cool engine

https://petrolicious.com/articles/this-356-is-fully-capable-of-hunting-modern-porsches
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
Bumped into this cool 356 replica build on Petrolicious. Cool engine

https://petrolicious.com/articles/this-356-is-fully-capable-of-hunting-modern-porsches

vanagonjr,

The Rod Emory car shown in this Petrolicious video is not a replica, it's an outlaw 1960 Roadster.

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

While filming in Reno at midnight.

Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

A favorite photo of the 356. We had just driven through Yellowstone Park on opening day. After passing a couple dozen cars and campers, we had the road to ourselves.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Nice, I love the feel of the air and driving after it rains or in a light rain
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Porschefreak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Looks to be very cool!

https://www.facebook.com/100003476705142/posts/1845939285531944/
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

My 100k Intermeccanica in the first weeks of ownership (about one year today):

These issues happened from the time the 356 was delivered by Henry on a car carrier in Ventura, California where I flew in from Maine to pick it up and within two weeks of driving the IM across the country back home:

The special metallic paint I ordered ($450 a gallon) was sprayed over a two week period, so the car arrived in four different colors, thus its nickname Patches. Any good car painter knows when metallic is heated up to spray, it changes chemically, so each time it is a different shade. For the record, Henry refused to make good on any of the problems with my 356. Once he had my money, he turned into a different person. I’ll let you guess what kind.

The 1k new Coker tires were cracked severely, were unbalanced because they were so out of round they could not be balanced on a modern machine. The Stoddard wheels were also too large in the rear and rubbed the body. The front was SO out of alignment that the new Dutch tires (with new wheels) I was forced to buy and put on the car before starting the trip wore out completely on the outside by the time I got to Ontario. Try buying tires to fit a 356 in the far northern USA. (This has all been documented in the soon to be released documentary film: Quantum Run 356.). The fronts also rubbed when turned, but I managed to lift the front so it wasn’t too severe.

The CBP 2.1 l engine, which Henry guaranteed was their most reliable engine ran poorly. It backfired, stuttered, etc. About all it would do was accelerate. In long sections driving across the country I was forced to accelerate, then coast. This for hours and hours. Remember I had a full Animal Media film crew following me on a very tight filming schedule. When I finally found a good enough mechanic to work on the engine, we found that the plugs could not be removed without dropping the engine. Some weird shrouding metal prevented getting a tool to seat on the plug. To cap it off the engine caught fire after I managed to get it home. Would you call that reliable? I wondered what the non-flammable insulation was that fell down on one side, choking the already terrible running engine. So Henry must have known his engines can suddenly burst into flame.

First the windshield wipers stopped working on high. Then they quit completely in the middle of a severe downpour in Watertown, New York. An old lady turned across me and it was only by a miracle of intuitive reflex that I saved Patches.

The tachometer quit. The door handles kept falling off. This just seemed funny. The engine ran so rough it shook Patches to pieces. One of my favorites was the horn simply began to blow whenever it felt like it. Since I had insisted on Maserati airhorns run on a compressor, this became quite a thing in gas stations, etc. I might have killed one very old guy in a camper! Luckily I was able to rebuild the horn button on the road. Half the documentary film is either the car in garages or me working on it in parking lots. But what did I expect for 100k?

On getting back to Maine, I rebuilt the Webber carbs. I found wrong jets, which had been doctored crudely. All the adjustments were very wrong. After fixing the Webers and setting the valves, etc., the engine ran much better. So . . . now I know why the carb adjustment (fine tuning) bill I received from Henry for around $500 made little sense since it was dated when Patches was still in primer and six months before the 356 even had an engine. The list of fraudulent charges by Henry is too long and boring to list here.

The fact that Henry “lost” the Jaguar ignition switch that Sir Stirling Moss gave my father is another matter. But Henry’s changing stories on how the switch got lost were certainly entertaining.

My advice? If you want to actually drive your expensive IM 356—don’t! Hopefully your paint will match so you can at least stare at it.

For the record, I am Eric Green, the known American artist and writer from Belfast, Maine. Google me. Kelly Harris is a character in my novel LIVECELL. It is on Amazon with many reviews. Cheers from another delighted IM customer. Such a delight being part of the “family.”

The story is all here with photos. http://quantumrun356.com/2018/05/10/first-road-run-for-patches/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: