Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

I usually carry spare gas, however I've never used it! Once though i had pulled into an old station where I met another traveler who was expecting to fill up and the station had its permit pulled and tanks decommissioned. No fuel for 86 miles; I gave the traveler my five gallons and his wife gave us a blank check...no BS!

We threw the check away, and the family was able to get to the next station...
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

OK...I guess I'm dumb, or else Google maps is not my friend... Evil or Very Mad FWIW (from recent thread):

Quote:
I love having some spare fuel especially on road trips, but I also HATE the hillbilly look of a tall red gas can up in the
luggage rack... Evil or Very Mad My answer involves a commercial low-profile steel can (many types available...I settled on this 5 gal):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CCJ6HNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...wrapped in Reflectix (camouflage+insulation) & 4-way strapped into the rack on the passenger side...no bungees, please... Evil or Very Mad :

...with a ground cable & small battery clip wired to the can, then clipped to luggage rack bolt for electrical bonding
to the van frame (to prevent sparks when siphoning or refilling):

Once strapped in & under way there's no need to take it down or move it at all until the trip is done, because:

- being electrically bonded to the frame, filling at the pump can be done in place
(following normal precautions - touch frame of van before placing nozzle & filling)

- siphon to 2WD van tank directly below with standard "jiggle" siphon (at least 7' for 2WD):

This worked a treat in Utah last June, & definitely needed it a couple times on the road.
Plus, I could afford it... (Need I remind y'all I'm cheap...???) Wink Cool

- Dave

bobbyblack wrote:
Dave, nice tool Wink

PS: Thanks! I don't hear that very often... Laughing Embarassed Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>

Last edited by dhaavers on Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
I usually carry spare gas, however I've never used it! Once though i had pulled into an old station where I met another traveler who was expecting to fill up and the station had its permit pulled and tanks decommissioned. No fuel for 86 miles; I gave the traveler my five gallons and his wife gave us a blank check...no BS!

We threw the check away, and the family was able to get to the next station...

Where did you throw the check away , please?
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

That siphon (check NAPA and FLAPS for same) is one of the neatest tools going. Stick the brass thingie (with a marble inside) in the container, jiggle hose and brass thingie up and down, watch the liquid magically rise with each jiggle, until it turns the corner and goes down the tube. Shazam!

I've used a slightly larger version (3/4" hose) to move diesel fuel on my boat when we've had to go to the 25 (5x5 gal.) we carry for "it's a looooong way to the next fuel dock" or I've had to dinghy the tanks out to the anchorage. Definitely a "don't leave home without it" item. Hmmmm... guess I'll take my own advice, even if it's only to siphon out a container that won't pour into our filler.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

Wife says each time we go camping that I already have way too much spare gas..... Smile

Craig
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

In 1986, we drove our 1983 Tin-top AC Vanagon to Alaska. There was no Google Earth in those days, obviously no Internet. We planned the trip over a two year time span. We were out and back in 30 days..... about 10k miles. On the return trip we drove the Cassiar Highway (90% dirt) down through the Rockies, cut cross country in numerous places. Not once did we ever need extra gas.

Seven years later, 1993, we made the trip again. However, we did do two major side excursions, one up to Yellowknife and then back to the Alaska Highway via the Liard Highway (come close running out of gas there due to boarded-up station). Then, we drove the Dempster Highway to Inuvik, NWT.. well above the Arctic Circle. And, then on to Alaska from Dawson City across the Top of the World Road.

We did five more trips to Alaska in that old 83 with the 2003 trip being the last one ... other than the one incident on the Liard, never a need to carry extra gas.

Last edited by AndyBees on Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

^^^ It sounds like you start thinking of when you'll need more gas before the needle is halfway through the red. I'll need to try that someday Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (my motorcycle has an 11.5 gallon gas tank and I've come close to running out of gas on it).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Blacksmith73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:

How do people without a swing-out rack manage carrying extra gas?

The idea isn't mine, I think I borrowed it from Gruppe B. I have two 10L cans in there (so ~5.3 gallons)

AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

The piece of mind knowing you have the things you never need is worth the trouble. I find gas to be a pain though. In the desert the sun will expand and contract a gas can (metal or plastic) to the point of no return or a large crack.
But the piece of mind is what its all about if your not a lackadaisical driver.
I need one of those below the floor tanks where the sun dont shine.

I am guilty of being a lackadaisical driver.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
Wife says each time we go camping that I already have way too much spare gas..... Smile

RBEmerson wrote:
... jiggle hose and brass thingie up and down ... Shazam!

My wife says each time we go camping that I jiggle the thingy too much ... Shazam, indeed!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

Having an external gas can or three looks cool and expeditionish. Looks are important.

Prsonally gas cans on the back, potentially leaking on o the ehaust seems like a poor idea to this old former firefighter.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

There is that.

Rotopax is supposed to be the really explorer-ish way to go. All that's missing is a genuine GoWesty snorkel kit...
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

I had a round plastic spare can underneath in the spare tire carrier that was there for a year or so before I heard it rupture on a really hot day.
Now I use a Mercedes 7L spare tire gas can that was under there in Baja for 3 years with no leaks.
Here's the pic of the can, found it on German eBay

Just a regular guy
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

HOLY PRICE TAG BATMAN!!!!

Those Mercedes tanks are selling for HUGE money!!!

I know safety has its price but Gee.......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

cheapest thing in a VW is the loose nut behind the steering wheel.

I've a serious peeve against gas cans bungee'd to the roof rack..

does one NEED auxillary gas for travel out west.. no.. well maybe.. of course it depends.. but generally no.. unless you like having to source gas when the needle tells you to..
too often I've found stations no longer open, or just a gas station I'd prefer not to patronize..
so I have a 7gal AUX "tank2" in lieu of my spare tire.. even find it handy for our NY to FL trips down I-95.. again I don't like being told I have to get gas here, now..

also I'll slip this link in here..
and I offer absolutely NO ASSURANCES this will fit into a vanagon spare tire while in the clamshell..
can't even assure you it will seal gas while laying flat. as the volvo 240 mounts their spare tire upright in the trunk. http://www.collectorcarads.com/Picture7/Interior_Trunk_Spare_Tire.jpg
but it likely fits DJKeev's price sensitivity and well I've never seen one this cheap before.. nore likely will again.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-VOLVO-Red-Metal-O...3171540934
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

these also stand a chance of fitting into the spare tire rim.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5L-Fuel-Tank-Jerry-Cans-S...1970823995

but don't take my word for it, measure 3xs and YMMV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

That's the Rotopax can or a clone.

I'd bring an MB tank back from Germany (going in Dec.), but I doubt I can get it in my bags. Oh well...
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

just pack it in your checked bags next to your mag lite Razz
michaelbteam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

I learned the "hard way" how [very] accurate my syncro fuel gauge is; when the needle hit the empty mark, the engine quit. So I carry a 2 gallon Rotopax in the luggage rack when necessary, not exactly advisable but easy to access. I add a reflective insulated cover to protect somewhat against direct sunlight. I subsequently also learned that the syncro 18.5 gallon fuel capacity is hard to achieve, and that some people advise against "over filling" since it can contribute to some failure in the tank.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
^^^ It sounds like you start thinking of when you'll need more gas before the needle is halfway through the red. I'll need to try that someday Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (my motorcycle has an 11.5 gallon gas tank and I've come close to running out of gas on it).

We purchased that 83 AC in April of 85 purposely to make the Alaska trip. It was only 2 years old and had 40k on the oddie. One of the first things I did was drive it until it ran out of fuel so that I'd have a good idea of what to expect with reference to the fuel gauge. Then, we did a few road trips to the south with the longest being along the Gulf shore from Louisiana to Florida and back to Kentucky. I determined that out on the road at 275 miles on a full tank was the limit as to when I needed to fill-up. However, I did drive it beyond 300 miles a few times with the best being about 320 without running out of fuel.

And, as I stated, we did have that one squeaker. The station was out of business that I had planned for a fill-up. We pushed on to our destiny for the day. The only station was closed. Next morning I filled up at 312 miles on the oddie. I admit, we did some coasting with the engine idling and then with the engine off....

For my TDI Vanagon, I basically did the same thing to establish those numbers. 400 miles is the max that I consider a fill-up is due.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: