Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Zincro Build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

We love a good build thread so I thought we would add our most recent project going on in the shop. We are a Westfalia rental shop in Santa Cruz with 7 Vanagon full campers. Maintaining and running the rental fleet keeps us plenty busy so the updates on this for fun project may be infrequent. The goal is to have this at syncrofest in May.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We picked this up as an abandoned project. It was a syncro westy shell with no doors, drivetrain, or anything at all really. The body was rust free but it had its share of dents and dings. The shell was epoxy primed and the undercarriage was brushed with POR-15 before we acquired it. This POR did not adhere and was pulling off in sheets. POR15 bonds to rust and rough metal but I've never been a fan of it. If there's rust, cut it out and weld in new end of story. It has no place on nice clean metal / finish no matter how it's prepped IMHO. Lets not turn this in to a POR15 debate. Some people love it. You still can. We removed all of it with compressed air and razor blades. We then shot the undercarriage with 8 bottles of 3M body schutz (over epoxy primer) after brushing all of the seams with sealer. It's pretty bomber. This will see a lot of winter driving so keeping things corrosion free was my biggest concern.

undercarriage after first coat of Schutz

I had a syncro tin top VR6 stored back in Michigan I acquired years ago that had a usable drivetrain but was beyond repair rust wise. I had it shipped to Santa Cruz and dismantled it a few months ago so we had just about everything to get this project underway. I brought the all of the suspension parts, sub-frame, etc to a Zinc plater over the hill, and then sent it for high gloss clear powder afterwards. The trailing arms and front subframe will be satin black powdered to break up the zinc look a little.

I drove an AHU Tdi westy for 7 years and enjoyed it so this will get the slightly more modern and tunable ALH. We bought an extremely clean rear end hit 2003 Golf from Co-part and pulled the engine and harness a month ago.

Plans

ALH TDI Engine using the foreign Auto supply kit.
Custom built interior cabinetry.
Mercedes G Wagen factory gray plaid interior upholstery
Recaro LXF armrest captains chairs
1.14 3rd 0.75 4th syncro trans w/o decoupler by Rancho transaxle
Diesel cook top with heater (one fuel, no propane on this one)

Interior:
The stock westfalia interior really is pretty great as it is. I actually bought a complete gray westy interior for this but after having spent over 700 nights in a westy there were a few things I've always wanted to change to make it a little better / spacious. Here's a prototype we've been working on for another van. The kitchen for this van will be a little more slim than this one.

Exterior:

The goal here is to keep this thing light so you won't see anything too fancy besides the paint and stance. These things are a lot more fun when they are not loaded down. Still deciding on the color and may paint the roof body color now. Porsche 356 stone gray is on the top of the list. More creamy than gray.

Stay tuned

Last edited by outwesty on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:55 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Popcorn

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

$10 bucks says that 50% of that build will be 2 weeks before Syncrofest. That's 212 days Dave. You and Ben better get to work.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

YES!! I love seeing a big project car getting built up! Dancing
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

ZincroFest!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

If you want people to actually see your images, post them here in the gallery. Wink
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If you want people to actually see your images, post them here in the gallery. Wink

Yup, what he said.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Just curious, how much did it cost to have those parts zinc plated? I usually have my stuff powder coated but would definitely consider this route if it isn't that much more.

Frankenbus (sold)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674133&highlight=

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

I just switched all of them to the gallery. I wasn't aware people couldn't see the photobucket ones. Thanks !
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
$10 bucks says that 50% of that build will be 2 weeks before Syncrofest. That's 212 days Dave. You and Ben better get to work.

Stacy

Haha You're on Stacy !
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

sethpat wrote:
Just curious, how much did it cost to have those parts zinc plated? I usually have my stuff powder coated but would definitely consider this route if it isn't that much more.

The Zinc won't stay shiny if it isn't cleared over. You're looking at around $1500 to have it zinc'd and clear powdered....but it should last forever.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Nice! I look forward to updates.

I'm glad that you're trying to keep it light. That's a refreshing change from the overload - er, I mean overland look that's so prevalent. Other than NOT putting a bunch of extra weight on the van, do you have any ideas for things that would trim existing weight off?
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Nice! I look forward to updates.

I'm glad that you're trying to keep it light. That's a refreshing change from the overload - er, I mean overland look that's so prevalent. Other than NOT putting a bunch of extra weight on the van, do you have any ideas for things that would trim existing weight off?

Thank You. Bozeman! What a great place to live. I worked at Big Sky and up on the highline hacking down wheat before settling here.

We're doing away with the stock A/C system and adding in dash so that will drop a few lbs of up high weight in the back. We are also using a rectangular water tank that will keep the center of gravity a little lower on the cabinet side. I'm still researching materials to use for cabinetry. The goal is to keep them the same or less than the stock ones. The stock ones really are not that heavy so that may be difficult with all of the drawers, etc on the new ones. I have 5 CLK's that I got new from the dealer years ago so those will help with unsprung weight. I love the early metal bumper look so we will be powdering a set of the thicker 2.3mm aftermarket ones for it. There's some other small things like deleting the rear wiper etc. Take Care.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Looks great!
Keep updating us as you progress.

Yeah ......... photobucket is worthless ....

Coating the stub axles with zinc and clear changes their diameter and I wonder how the bearings and hubs will deal with that size increase?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Looks great!
Keep updating us as you progress.

Yeah ......... photobucket is worthless ....

Coating the stub axles with zinc and clear changes their diameter and I wonder how the bearings and hubs will deal with that size increase?

Dave

We wondered that too but it hasn't been an issue. It's only about .0005 If anything it helps on the rear hubs as that bearing fit is not usually very snug anyway.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Very cool project I'll be checking for updates.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Dave, I doubt they sprayed clear coat on the inside of the hub. Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

Cool
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
scottbott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

this should be very interesting to watch, looks brilliant
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Zincro Build Reply with quote

outwesty wrote:
sethpat wrote:

The Zinc won't stay shiny if it isn't cleared over. You're looking at around $1500 to have it zinc'd and clear powdered....but it should last forever.

Good to know, thanks! It’s looking awesome, great work so far. I’m really looking forward to seeing this thing built up. Hopefully see you at syncrofest!

Seth

Frankenbus (sold)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674133&highlight=

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: