Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Squareback feedback
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coomooroon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: 1971 Squareback feedback Reply with quote

So I'm looking to get a '71 squareback as a daily driver and something to livin in if necessary and I stumbled upon this one

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/1971-vw-squareback/6707015547.html

I do not know much about em yet and am wondering if this would be worth while, I plan on having this till I can save up and get a bus to live in as a more permanent setup. I do not have much money to spend on repairs but as long as it's not more than 1000$ or so for getting it to be a daily driver than I could manage it. Let me know of this sounds like a good idea or not, thanks
Coomooroon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Squareback feedback Reply with quote

Also I'm not really sure how this website works so idk if this is where to post these kinds of things lol
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Squareback feedback Reply with quote

Coomooroon wrote:
So I'm looking to get a '71 squareback as a daily driver and something to livin in if necessary and I stumbled upon this one

I do not know much about em yet and am wondering if this would be worth while, I plan on having this till I can save up and get a bus to live in as a more permanent setup. I do not have much money to spend on repairs but as long as it's not more than 1000$ or so for getting it to be a daily driver than I could manage it. Let me know of this sounds like a good idea or not, thanks

Are you meaning adding 1000 bucks in possible parts to the 4K asking price?
It might be OK, if it were summer time, but with winter coming, you might want to just look for bus.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Squareback feedback Reply with quote

Coomooroon wrote:
Also I'm not really sure how this website works so idk if this is where to post these kinds of things lol

You posted this in the middle of another thread.

I made it it's own thread - this is better
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Squareback feedback Reply with quote

Coomooroon wrote:

Seems to me that spending money on this would put you further from your goal
"I plan on having this till I can save up and get a bus to live in"

A low priced Asian car may cost you lees while you save up for your bus. Hard to tell what is or could go wrong with it from the pictures. If you are able to wrench that would help keep costs down.

good luck

-Lucas
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Squareback feedback Reply with quote

Did the car come from the hurricane floods??? Man there will be a lot of cars from region that are in bad shape. How much is Yes there is rust underneath needs floor pans?!

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Squareback feedback Reply with quote

It's almost guaranteed that you'll spend more per month to repair & maintain a 47 year old car than you will leasing whatever lease special Mitsubishi has this month.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Squareback feedback Reply with quote

EasternNotch wrote:
Coomooroon wrote:

Seems to me that spending money on this would put you further from your goal
"I plan on having this till I can save up and get a bus to live in"

A low priced Asian car may cost you lees while you save up for your bus. Hard to tell what is or could go wrong with it from the pictures. If you are able to wrench that would help keep costs down.

good luck

-Lucas

I was kind of thinking the same thing. If you really want a bus, buy a bus. Since you're on the wrong coast, a type 3 isn't what I'd call a good car for a daily driver...unless you want to constantly work on it. I'm not saying you can't daily one, but you'll need a GOOD VW parts place to keep it going. That's something the west coast has plenty of, versus the east coast. I've tried it before, and a lot of it depends on how many miles per day you're driving it, and what kind of traffic you see. The more of either or both can be taxing on both you and the car.

I'd probably get a cheap Toyota and save my money for a bus (preferably the body style you really want). Do a little looking on Craig's list, and you might be surprised at what you can find. Myself, I've got a 92 Geo Prizm (Toyota Corolla copy), that I use for most everything. I've had it for about 8.5 years now, and it doesn't owe me a dime. Sure, it needed a few bucks tossed at it, but then I only paid 500 for it. Living in the salt belt, rust eats away at the steel, and last year I picked up a 99 Honda Accord for $350 that needed some work. It's my new winter beater. Those kind of deals are out there too. Very Happy

The above 2 posts do bring up good points. With all the flooding in NC, most flood victim cars will have some sort of electrical issues. And owning a 47 year old is not cheap, especially if you're trying to daily it.
If you look around on here, you'll find most of us here have an alternate vehicle to use. Part of that is the need to get to work on time, part of that is our car is a project vehicle, and part of that is the need for a parts chaser. Laughing
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: