Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greggearhead wrote:
Hey Brian! I think I spent $200 on the interior (no jump seats) and less than a full day installing it so far. Probably another half day to get it done, and $$ for install was pretty much just fab time and scrap metal. If you pay a shop to do it, 1-2 days of work. It would have been pretty simple and fast if I had all the parts in hand - but I expect a lot of us considering this upgrade don't have 100% of the needed parts, so that's why I started the thread.

Cool!, not bad at all. The parts Vanagon I have is a Carat with the completer weekender interior. I will consider this, especially since I recently pulled out the rear seats to repair the heater blower under the rear seat. Putting the rear seat back was no easy task and the side panels got torn...pisser!
I have been taking a welding class and have bought a mig, so hopefully I can do the mods myself. Wink
Thanks for sharing this Greg! Howzit with you? I have tried calling you a few times, but always get your VM.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Little Hobbit Bastard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the write up... gives me motivation re-start my converison! I bought a carat interior for my GL about 2 years ago but was never able to install it because I did not get any of the spacing brackets. Would it be at all possible for you to post the dimensions of spacer brackets? My friend said he can weld them up for me if I can give him the dimensions.

Thanks,
A.M.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to do it. Hadn't found any other threads that posted the info, so I did!

I should be able to measure them and post it sometime in the next few weeks - still need to rework the seat back post-bracket thing a bit.
1991 Vanagon Syncro Westy

Period Lights, VW & Porsche wheels and Recaro/Scheel Seats for sale

https://www.facebook.com/greggearhead

http://greggearhead.com/soco-swap---september-vw-swap-meet.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Little Hobbit Bastard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here... found some posts indicating the missing parts but nothing with specific dimensions. Appreciate you taking the time to post the dimensions amd pictures of your install!

Thanks,
AM
Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

Sorry for the old thread revival, but I am in the process of this conversion right now. I have all of the necessary parts, but I don’t have the donor van to compare to on hand. Does anyone have a picture of the factory notch in the sheet metal below the window to clear the top of the table latch when it is up. Ultimately I will just notch it as needed to clear, but I would love to see a picture of the factory setup if someone has one. The OP made a pretty large notch on page 1, bigger than needed, but this thread had the best images of the area in question. Thanks!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

The factory didn't notch the sheetmetal, they bent the flange out into the cabin area to clear the table swing above the metal piece.
Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

Ahh...OK, thanks for that. I foresee a process of trial and error to get this right. Bend it some test the table, test clearance with wall panel, bend more...and on. I would still love to see a picture if anyone has one.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

a Google search for Vanagon Weekender table mount returned this image in the results from this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=594910&postorder=desc

Weezyissuperfast wrote:
Ahh...OK, thanks for that. I foresee a process of trial and error to get this right. Bend it some test the table, test clearance with wall panel, bend more...and on. I would still love to see a picture if anyone has one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

Hmm...I searched and searched via google using similar terms and did not find that one. Thanks for posting it!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

Perfect! Thanks for posting that. I find the whole arrangement of the table frame interesting. The entire frame and the top cross piece are pretty stout, but then the whole thing is secured with all of four rivets.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

Good write up and nicely documented. Your going to love that weekender interior when you’re done. Are you going to mount the rear closet?
Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

Yeah, I had this same layout in my old ‘87 Wolfsburg, and I really liked the flexibility of it. No cabinet, as it is the Carat/Wolfsburg arrangement. I will be adding a pop top this spring or summer though.
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

Following, as I have the whole weekender interior, minus the weekender bed, I didn't know about that sheet metal notch before.

Wezzyisuperfast: what are you going to do about your bed and plastic panel spacing, do you have a weekender bed?

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

OK, bent it out. I might need to bend it a touch more, but I’ll test that when I test fit the panel.

Yeah, I have the Carat narrower bench seat to install and I made some spacer brackets. Those panels stick out quite a ways, I think it would be tough to try to squeeze a regular full width seat in there.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

Welding in the rear seat backrest spacer mounts are the only things that needs to be done that isn't easily bolted in or pop rived ihto place.

Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

Any Progress Weezyissuperfast?

I finally scored a shorter bed, apparently from an 84 Wolfsburg:

I would love to see photos of the bottom bench of a weekender rear bench seat. As you can see I will not be able to use the bottom half of the bench seat above with plastic panels, I do have the front rear bottom bench weekender panel, but not with its sides. Does anyone have stock photos of how the bottom weekender bench seat is constructed, both left and right side?

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

Here is my goal, I love the pragmatic setup of the weekender:

Lo and behold...I have the bottom bench seat photos from a Facebook user:

So, as far as I can tell there is no bar that runs the length below this bench seat, the front panel and two metal side walls is what supports the base. You can also see where the bottom spacer bracket pokes through to support the bench seat hinges.

Any photos or description of how the top bench seat back rests or attaches above?

Great study.

FaceHook:
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

That bench version with the plastic kick panel has an all metal support structure. It only attaches to the floor. It does have a stout metal side to side top rail at the front.

The wooden structure benches like your 84 Wolfy seat have hinges with flat metal mounting extensions that screw down to the engine lid deck, in addition to bolting down to the floor.

Mark
bokonon42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 7 Passenger Interior to Weekender Reply with quote

Wow, I like that rear closet in a weekender/carat. Has anyone here done that?
-terry

Bman wrote:
Here is my goal, I love the pragmatic setup of the weekender:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: