Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

70 fastback rust repair start
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: 70 fastback rust repair start Reply with quote

howdy. have started the long project of removing the cancer from my 70 fasty and thought id show the progress. comments or advise more than welcome!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 70 fastback rust repair start Reply with quote

It's looking good. I'd add some seam sealer to your welds, and probably prime off the bare metal, before you add the "boxed" sections.
Nice work. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 fastback rust repair start Reply with quote

why would it be necessary to add the boxed sections again? what purpose did they ever serve except to rust?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 fastback rust repair start Reply with quote

giddy up wrote:
why would it be necessary to add the boxed sections again? what purpose did they ever serve except to rust?

They're actually for crash worthiness (crumple zone). If you don't want to add them, don't. The big problem with the boxes, is that when they got "rust proofed", the drains got closed off, and they held dirt, water, and salt (if you lived in an area where salt was used). This caused them to rust out.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 fastback rust repair start Reply with quote

thanks for the info bobnotch. seems to me that it would do no more for crash worthiness with or without, especially with new metal and proper welds now.i think im not going to add them and concentrate on the other major rust.....bumper mounts are dead and so are the heater channels. they are next on the list. im not after a true factory reproduction, just want a sold rust free car that look like a a perfect original fasty. just finished restoring a 69 beetle and had to replace both heater channels on it....FML that im having to replace them again on this project...they are a pain in my ars to replace with a body on resto....and yes....i know i should take the body off but my garage is the size of a coffin so that option is out Smile
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 70 fastback rust repair start Reply with quote

Yeah, at this point you might want to get the rest done first. That should keep you busy this winter. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 fastback rust repair start Reply with quote

Nice fab and welding work, giddy. What gauge metal did you use to make your patch pieces?

I also have a '70 Fastback that needs similar rot repair work as yours (also all 4 bumper mounts, heater channels, front fender rear corners), as well as partial floorpan sections. But I have neither a welder nor the skills to use one, so I'm stuck. And am getting older and lazier. Shame, 'cause my car has only around 40,000 miles and a really well preserved off-white interior.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: