Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying, paying and avoiding scams
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dryhillsjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Buying, paying and avoiding scams Reply with quote

Hi from Brunei everyone!
I'm looking at a lovely bus at the moment which is in New Mexico. The problem is obviously that I am in Brunei and would like the bus shipped to the UK (if I'm happy with a pre sale inspection.) The main issue is that the seller wants to be paid in cash to avoid scams - fair enough. I have no issue with that. Any advice on how to do this? Can I forward money to a local lawyer and get them to handle the transaction and paperwork transfer before shipping? Has anyone else done anything like this? I think it's a lovely bus but obviously I don't want to get my fingers burned and neither does the seller. If anyone is near Rio Rancho and can recommend someone to help I'd appreciate it. Popping on a plane is obviously the best course of action but according to google maps I'm currently 8554 miles away so it's not really practical!!

Cheers
Jonathan
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying, paying and avoiding scams Reply with quote

Not all states have the same rules on this but it's worth looking into.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&a...zWXWDXh_HH
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Buying, paying and avoiding scams Reply with quote

Definitely an escrow situation would be safest but the seller may not want to wait to get paid and elect to sell it cash-on-spot. I know I would. (Unless we are talking a 50k or up transaction)

Maybe you could set up a local person to inspect and carry out the transaction in person? Then be in charge of the shipping State side? IDK, but it seems there should be folks to carry out such transactions. Maybe check out antique car dealers.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Buying, paying and avoiding scams Reply with quote

The rule I use here in the states with Craigs List ads is to NEVER look at a car that is a inconvenient distance away unless you are multitasking because the sellers always lie about the condition.

If you look at the reviews of third party new-used inspections in the states they are mostly negative. A classic car inspection is going to be much worse.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Buying, paying and avoiding scams Reply with quote

I have found the samba to be a huge resource for information, ideas, and most importantly people.

Try to find a unintrested member (in the transaction) on here that is close to make sure it's even a real deal? Again, CL is full of scammers, especially on out of state (or country) transactions.

Maybe post the link to the ad. Someone may be able to shed light on it's legitimately. I wouldn't take creedence on anyone unless they have a proven track record on here.

Run a Google search on the images of the ad. Scammers will use found pictures to create fake listings.

But from a seller's standpoint, this is your first post here as well.

Unfortunately, that's where we are in this day and age.
dryhillsjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Buying, paying and avoiding scams Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have to agree that the danger is just simply getting tied up in knots when it comes to carrying out checks and evaluations of condition etc. At some stage a decision needs to be made - hopefully a good one for all involved. I also agree that me being new (and in Brunei) doesn't really help matters. I may as well start my email conversations by saying I'm from Nigeria and 'Hey it's your lucky day my friend.......'
Yes ideally I would buy local - but I'm not in a country drowning in classic VW's I can tell you. There may be 4 or 5 here that I have seen on the roads.

So the advert is this one - a very clean looking Sundial. Let me know what you think. There is also a link to a blog and a youtube video.

[https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2208082]

Many thanks for all your thoughts and ideas.
Jonathan
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Buying, paying and avoiding scams Reply with quote

Find a classic car buyer service, here are two examples I googled.

https://www.nevadaclassics.com/services.htm

http://www.significantcars.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: