Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hurst shifter for my Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ankleslop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Hurst shifter for my Beetle Reply with quote

Hey all, just curious. I got my 73 Beetle off a guy who builds muscle cars so wondering if this is an original VW shifter(maybe less the knob)?

Main question: Where does that broken spring go please? I am ready to carpet now after replacing the master cylinder.

Ankleslop
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

smeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hurst shifter for my Beetle Reply with quote

This looks identical to the EMPI trigger shifter that a PO installed on my car...

Your broken spring might be the one that pulls the shift lever toward the right, toward the passenger door. If I had to guess.... one side is going to attach at the top of the spring above the "ball" at the bottom of your shifter and the other would attach to that black plate that is closest to the camera on your bottom photo.
Ankleslop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hurst shifter for my Beetle Reply with quote

Oh yeah, maybe there is a male portion on the inside of that plate, thanks.

Gives me a good starting point....
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst shifter for my Beetle Reply with quote

If you look here you can see where it goes onto the metal plate. On the inside it slides onto a nipple on the shifter where it pushes towards the right.

You could go to a hardware store and compare/find a replacement.

I took apart my shifter, also a Hurst, and "rebuild" it using free wood plank samples from Lowe's because the top plate on the shifter was broken and was super sloppy. It's easy and made a world of difference. I believe I either made a thread for it or added it to my build thread.

Ankleslop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst shifter for my Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information. I see the tab on the inside that the springs goes into! Off to Ace I go. Stoked am I.

Ankleslop
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst shifter for my Beetle Reply with quote

These shifters are sought after, so if you ever decide to get rid of it, do your research and price it accordingly.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst shifter for my Beetle Reply with quote

The Spring is no issue, drag racing thing that can or may cause harm in the transaxle do to excessive pressure over a long time is my thought. Pushes the shifter over into one direction... Have had 2 hurst, a Shorty and a Normal.

RB
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst shifter for my Beetle Reply with quote

The lack of spring basically makes it act more like a factory shifter- no problems there. It was intended to reduce mis-shifts by making your shifts from 1-2 to 3-4 intential- not accidental. $5 swap meet Empi shifters are great to use when fixing $50 Hurst shifters.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Ankleslop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst shifter for my Beetle Reply with quote

What type of lubricant do y'all recommend for innards of the shifter, ball, etc?
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Hurst shifter for my Beetle Reply with quote

[quote="joey1320"]

“If you look here you can see where it goes onto the metal plate. On the inside it slides onto a nipple on the shifter where it pushes towards the right. “

What’s the trick to getting that side spring in place? More patience?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: