Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 484, 485, 486 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
robcurtis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Hello All,
Just trying to get some input from those with Yakima racks. Im running a 1984 GL tintop and doing some upgrades. I got the 2" risers from Gowesty instead of cutting my 4" ones I already had installed and I will install this weekend. I'm still wonderin what basket to get. Options are the Cabelas cheap $100 one, the Yakima loadwarrior, or the mega warrior. Thoughts? I would like to mount an ARB awning, and maybe a solar panel in the future, and maybe a storage rocket box later but the solar option will depend on needs like refer, ect. LEt me know when you can. Pics are great also so I can see how the roof looks with the options.
Cheers,
RC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

My new Bosch coil started leaking oil after less than a year. I hope your's is better. I'm putting a high performance IGN1 super coil and custom ignition wires on it to do away with the shoddy quality stuff I've been getting.

jlrftype7 wrote:
Finished painting Drivers Door Handle, replaced Delco-Remy coil that was leaking oil with new Bosch Coil.

dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

robcurtis2 wrote:
Hello All,
Just trying to get some input from those with Yakima racks. Im running a 1984 GL tintop and doing some upgrades. I got the 2" risers from Gowesty instead of cutting my 4" ones I already had installed and I will install this weekend. I'm still wonderin what basket to get. Options are the Cabelas cheap $100 one, the Yakima loadwarrior, or the mega warrior. Thoughts? I would like to mount an ARB awning, and maybe a solar panel in the future, and maybe a storage rocket box later but the solar option will depend on needs like refer, ect. LEt me know when you can. Pics are great also so I can see how the roof looks with the options.
Cheers,
RC

Check out https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=382192 for starters...

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Added the VDO temp gauge to the cluster module that fits in the ashtray but in the process I b0rked something up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'll start a thread and see who chimes in with the right answer.

EDIT: Looks like it might have been a bad signal when the coolant sprayed out onto the OG sender.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I was checking my recently installed front brakes and realized the 3-6 o'clock movement was excessive. Turned out driver's side tie rod end was shot. Replaced both sides.
This thread was very helpful: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=292929&highlight=tie+rod+end+replacement

Mine didn't come off quite that easy, but mission accomplished.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Finished painting Drivers Door Handle, replaced Delco-Remy coil that was leaking oil with new Bosch Coil. Replaced Final Drive Gasket and refilled diff with fluid.
Evacuated and recharged the A/C system. A previous owner had converted to R134a way in the past- System still had 1/2 lb Freon in it, ran vacuum for a while and recharged it. Good Cooling out of the Vents, all 6 speeds of the A/C blower work( High/Low Range Switch and 3 speed selection within that range )

Radiator fan working on Low Speed with A/C as it should( QUIET Fan... man , not annoying at all)... Cool

Wire brushed loose rust and applied Rust Converter everywhere... Razz

Ordered new Front Rotors, bearings and Seals-

Saturday is going to be my big day... Replacing entire exhaust, new O2 sensor , Water Pump, T-stat and Van Cafe Expansion Tank are going in.... Confused

Holy cow! I hope all went well son Saturday. You’re getting a lot accomplished!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Nearly finished “the box too big” that I hoped to have had completed for a trip back in May. Now it’s ready for October. Very Happy It has latches but I still plan to install locks, a shelf and reflective tape/and a light.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

LONG day at work rehabbing my Vanagon. Replaced almost all the rubber fuel lines, added protection sleeves, replaced the injectors with Marco’s new set.
Old ones will go off to be rebuilt. Cleaned and painted the outer metal shields bolted to the body on either side of the engine.
I used Wurths Alu-Zinc paint since those heat shields are Galvanized.
Removed the rusted, leaky exhaust system and installed a complete new system from Van Cafe. No seized fasteners slowed me down, got lucky with the exhaust work. I went overboard with Copper plated nuts since I had a small stash from owning BMWs over the years. Van Cafes install kit was very nice however and covered all the main connections.

Replaced the Water pump and installed a new thermostat, along with the two small 25mm/ 1” diameter ID hoses that had seen better days. Wire brushed and painted the water pump pulley halves. With careful torch application, I managed to get the two infamous T-Stat housing bolts out. Whew, dodged that bullet.... Razz

Not so lucky with the upper pipe that attaches to the water pump via an O-ring seal. It’s bolted to the Coolant passage on the block under the Altn., and one bolt snapped as soon as I applied pressure.
Being the upper bolt, I actually had lots of room to work on it. Tried all my tricks for removing it and finally ended up grinding it flush with the engine and drilling and tapping a new 8mm threaded hole.... Rolling Eyes New Temp Sensor installed and Van Cafe Coolant ‘Tank’ for good measure.

The lower pipe that bolts to the water pump had 1 Allen bolt and 1 hex head bolt with a 12mm head. Both came out easily, I found that a 12mm swivel socket 1/4” drive , fit and worked the 12mm headed bolt around the Crank Pulley with no drama at all. The lower bolt , 6mm Allen,was easily removed with a standard 3/8” drive Allen Driver from Snap-On and a Flexible 3/8” ratchet( Spark Plug Version). No need for wrenches and single , slow turns here.

Replaced the intake boot with one from GoWesty, ran into a problem. The port/hole for the metal fitting that the crankcase breather hose fits was too big . Original boot was perfect on fit, so I ended up using a plastic bushing that fit both the boot and the metal fitting for a tight seal. The other hole that’s above the breather hose fit the Plastic hose fitting perfectly- Just an FYI if anyone buys this boot from them.

Cleaned the throttle while I had the boot off. Throttle needs more work though. I’m not done with it yet. Sticks at full throttle position... Mad

New fan belts and called it a day after wrenching for 12 hours.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Broken Bolt

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

New GoWesty Boot

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Meet Hilga.... More to come because Restoration is a slow process.... Razz

dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

B.O.B.Wanders wrote:
I was checking my recently installed front brakes and realized the 3-6 o'clock movement was excessive. Turned out driver's side tie rod end was shot. Replaced both sides.
This thread was very helpful: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=292929&highlight=tie+rod+end+replacement

Mine didn't come off quite that easy, but mission accomplished.

This is on my list of things to do... fingers crossed it's "easy"

BiWerks Design, LLC
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

-installed ARB awning using northwesty mounting brackets

-fixed the loose steering column plastic case - metal clip was broken off the plastic housing, gorilla to the rescue

-cut new threads for stripped out rear seats bolts with bolts provided by thesamba member vanagonjr - worked like a charm

-taped a hole in the exhaust at the elbow for the cat. better, but there is another leak i cant see... hope the change jar will have enough for a new exhaust in the spring.

-fixed issue with seat belt warning light - bulb was not fully seated

-installed relay 188 to replace a broken relay 4 - i like the door chime, i'm weird.

-installed relay 99 - programmable wipers are fun!

-checked the fluids and went for a cruise in the neighborhood, lots of smiles and a few waves. i think that is the best part of having a Vanagon!

BiWerks Design, LLC
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Catching up on a few pieces of documentation this weekend...(recent thread about spare gas onboard reminded me to post):

I love having some spare fuel especially on road trips, but I also HATE the hillbilly look of a tall red gas can up in the
luggage rack... Evil or Very Mad My answer involves a commercial low-profile steel can (many types available...I settled on this 5 gal):

...wrapped in Reflectix (camouflage+insulation) & 4-way strapped into the rack...no bungees, please... Evil or Very Mad :

...with a ground cable & small battery clip wired to the can, then clipped to luggage rack bolt for electrical bonding
to the van frame (to prevent sparks when siphoning or refilling):

Once strapped in & under way there's no need to take it down or move it at all until the trip is done, because:

- being electrically bonded to the frame, filling at the pump can be done in place
(following normal precautions - touch frame of van before placing nozzle & filling)

- siphon to 2WD van tank directly below with standard "jiggle" siphon (at least 7' for 2WD):

This worked a treat in Utah last June, & definitely needed it a couple times on the road.
Plus, I could afford it... (Need I remind y'all I'm cheap...???) Wink Cool

- Dave

bobbyblack wrote:
Dave, nice tool Wink

PS: Thanks! I don't hear that very often... Laughing Embarassed Wink

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

More coolant system work last night- Removed the upper and lower metal pipes going to the new water pump that I installed recently and replaced them with Stainless Steel versions from Van Café
The lower pipe had looked close to the edge with pitting when I was replacing the water pump last weekend, but I painted the pipe and reinstalled it for the moment- that 'moment' didn't last long.... I screwed up missing the weird tab or barb on the end of the pipe when I was connecting the short 25mm/1" hose back to it, and ended up with a coolant leak that I didn't have in the first place
I had thought that maybe the pipe popped through a rusted place until I was in there last night ,ready to install the new stainless pipe, and saw how the little barb on the back of the pipe had prevented me from getting a correct seal once the hose was clamped down....... Embarassed
- Corrected a couple more things that I wasn't happy with from my long Saturday last week when I think fatigue was letting me miss easy things that I should have spotted. This ended up being more hoses and the Stainless Steel H-Pipe going to the Expansion tank.[ so many VC cookies this month..... Cool ]
I went with some of the Silicone Hoses from VC as well during the new part install. The end of the engine now looks very new and shiny, with lots of SS and Aluminum..... Razz

Wired in the coolant sensor that comes installed on the Van Café Coolant tank as well.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Sanded and painted my upper grill- ordered another VW emblem for it once I get happy with the grills and stop painting them. Razz
Mounted a front license plate bracket to the front bumper. Illinois requires them.
Replaced the Tailgate struts with Bus Depot’s middle strength offering of tail gate struts.
Lubed and studied the slider door to see where the rear hinge was hanging up at the end of its travel
Added more Rust Converter to small spots that I missed last time.
Replaced front Stabilzer Links and their Bushings / Hardware.....SO MUCH FUN, this job..... hopefully I don’t have to replace them for a longggg time.

Checked the dome light/interior lights. Fuse 8 is not blown, but the Red Wire going to the front light has no power at the light...sigh, so it begins with electrical chases...
I can’t complain though, it’s the only item on my Vanagon that has no power or does not work electrically other than the wiper washer pump switch contacts at the column( works intermittently until I can tweak it)
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Reached the point where I am doing final wiring in my 15 degree ABA swap into my 1984 Vanagon - cooling system, fuel, brakes are all complete. However, is there anyone who knows what the "AC Heater Relay" (035 906 283 A 'Made in Italy') does? It is positioned high on the firewall on the right hand side and has two large red vacuum ports on it.

I have a Canadian model with the optional BA6 gas heater and in case it's part of the heater system I don't want to just eliminate it without knowing if it's part of that setup. Can't seem to find any mention of it (aside from a few for sale) online.

Thanks for any help and also thanks to everyone on here who has documented ABA swaps, helped out a huge ton and it's a crazy easy swap, relatively speaking. Just cut off a Westy top from a donor and will be turning my tintop into a Westy over the winter once the ABA is running, so I look forward to HEAPS more Samba research! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grahamlandguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Tore out the old carpet in my adventurewagon to reveal the original wood floors. Took nearly 8 hrs of scrubbing over 3 days to get all the glue off of the wood without wreaking it. Not too bad under there!

yew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Grahamlandguru wrote:
Tore out the old carpet in my adventurewagon to reveal the original wood floors. Took nearly 8 hrs of scrubbing over 3 days to get all the glue off of the wood without wreaking it. Not too bad under there!

Those look awesome! Curious what the makeup of that wood is in terms of thickness and assembly. I have an 85 AW with the vinyl floor I generally see on them, and it sure feels like 1/8" ply under there (can feel the ridges in the steel floorpan as the wood's broken down over time).

As for my own participation in this thread, I wrapped up putting the passenger's side door together after cleaning and re-greasing the window regulator, installing new sound deadener, and new handles* which someone on this thread recommended -- can confirm they bend nicely to clear speakers.

* https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046VNUX8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

leecat wrote:
Reached the point where I am doing final wiring in my 15 degree ABA swap into my 1984 Vanagon - cooling system, fuel, brakes are all complete. However, is there anyone who knows what the "AC Heater Relay" (035 906 283 A 'Made in Italy') does? It is positioned high on the firewall on the right hand side and has two large red vacuum ports on it.

I have a Canadian model with the optional BA6 gas heater and in case it's part of the heater system I don't want to just eliminate it without knowing if it's part of that setup. Can't seem to find any mention of it (aside from a few for sale) online.

Thanks for any help and also thanks to everyone on here who has documented ABA swaps, helped out a huge ton and it's a crazy easy swap, relatively speaking. Just cut off a Westy top from a donor and will be turning my tintop into a Westy over the winter once the ABA is running, so I look forward to HEAPS more Samba research! Smile

That part # indicates that it's an EGR switch left over from the 1.9 WBX, so it's probably irrelevant to your swap.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 484, 485, 486 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 485 of 631

Jump to: