Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

411 2 door with 4 speed manual from craigslist
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: 411 2 door with 4 speed manual from craigslist Reply with quote

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/volkswagen-411-fastback-rare/6704651653.html
No contact information in ad, so you'll have to email through Craigslist
FROM Craigslist ad
Very few of these left.
This one ran when parked in 1991.
Very solid, a few rust spots in the body but none in the floors.
Has been partially disassembled for restoration but all the parts are included and in good shape.
Clean title. Rolls and steers, parking brake is working.
I have seen a few of these 411 or 412s but they all had automatic trans.
Firm price.
Can help with shipping anywhere in the world at your expense.
Easy shipping to Europe, starting at $1500.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 411 2 door with 4 speed manual from craigslist Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the body details of the Type 4, so I'll ask what the louvers at the outer edges of the front apron are for... A/C condensers?

This looks like a rare, great deal. A lot of years parked, but if it's been in inland California, the rust shouldn't be too bad.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 411 2 door with 4 speed manual from craigslist Reply with quote

It looks in nice shape....but none of what you see is light rust in a 411/412.

Those front corners forward of the doors...take it from me....do not try to weld those areas. Just did one in July. You can....but its not worth it. Derust, kill rust and seal. No one will ever see that area.
Its thick metal ....part of the backing spine for the crush point. If it rusts all the way out its a prohlem.

The small dollar size rust spots on the rear fender to quarter panel wheel arches ...are serious
You will find those actually,spread laterally because that area is double walled with foam inside. The fine horizontal rust line on the doors either means they were full of water. The doors may be a loss at that rate.....but its also common on 411/412 that this was the external dripline. All 411/412 have a peculiar door angle that forms a dripline.

But....I am not saying its not in good enough shape. My car has all of those issues except the doors. $1500 is a good deal.

Whoever buys this...DO NOT start it. Sitting since 1991 is far too long. The 1.7L in 411 and 412 was a superb engine. The pistons ..can last 200k miles with a rering if the skirts are not collapsed. If the engine hand cranks around.....tow it home...strip it down,....light rehone to derust...new rings and measure skirts.....maybe lap the valves. Most will run with just this.

The four speed trans......fix it now. They all need work to survive. Mostly just new bearings and check the final drive adjustment. My pinion bearings just came in last Friday. Been trying to get some for 2 years. They took 4 months to get here.

Pay heed to engine install, bushings and drivetraina alignment. I have a how-to in this forum already. If you dont, you WILL destroy the gearbox in the long run.

Those louvers in the front end were ....and have to check this.....early..... maybe 68-71. I think the early horns were behind those. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: