Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

‘66 Project build on a budget
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Project build on a budget of budgets Reply with quote

6 months later and a little progress update. Had the passenger side front bumper mount, 3 fender weld nuts and front apron welded in place. It's not pretty looking, but the slag is being ground smooth with a flap disk, then coated with some rattle can primer,

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Project build on a budget of budgets Reply with quote

I hate to point this out but all that rust and paint had an effect on them wields.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Project build on a budget of budgets Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
I hate to point this out but all that rust and paint had an effect on them wields.

Actually, there isn't much rust, if any, in the welded area. I have a crappy MIG welder that my buddy was using to weld with. The wire feed wasn't working right, and the intensity setting didn't seem to be working. But the welds are holding really good, which I'm happy about.

I took a few minutes to heat the door and quarter sound deadening tar boards with a propane torch, and they came off like butter.

Before

After

The sticky residue came completely off, but left a brown staining, which will be sanded, painted, and covered with new sound deadening anyway.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Project build on a budget of budgets Reply with quote

Took advantage of nice North Central Texas weather and had a buddy weld up my rear bumper mounts.

I also had a fender nut welded in place on the driver's side front fender area as well as a flange nut for the driver's side headlight bucket, but I made the mistake of trying to run a screw through the nut, not realizing there was some slag splatter on the threads that eventually caused the screw to bind and subsequently snap off. F@CK!! Next step is to try drilling out the screw without srewing it up completely....
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Project build on a budget of budgets Reply with quote

Enlisted the help of a couple of guys from work to lift the body off the body dolly, and onto the chassis.

It's nice to see it as 1 piece again - it's been a long time.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Project build on a budget of budgets Reply with quote

Just went through you're entire thread. We have a very similar approach to our projects. Very Happy

Any updates?

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: '66 Project build on a budget of budgets Reply with quote

Man, I am at a stand still! I’m actually at a point where I need to get body work & paint done. Then the reassembly starts. Funds have just not been available, but I’m hoping to get it painted soon. Kinda wish I had the option of getting body work & paint done when the body was off the chassis, but it wasn’t an option...
actualsurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 Project build on a budget of budgets Reply with quote

Lucked out...'66 is the best year.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: