Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Center Cap for cip1.com 17" Fuchs
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cweiland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: New Center Cap for cip1.com 17" Fuchs Reply with quote

I made a one-off set of these center caps to adorn my cip1 purchased 17" Fuch knockoffs that I'll be running on my '69 Bug. Decided to make them after only finding Porsche logo'd ones online. I think that the Wolfsburg logo is way cooler. Clearcoat coming soon.

My question is, do I paint the inset black or clear them as is?

Your thoughts and opinions, please.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd detail the center caps with black.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zenm@ster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mike. Paint the Wolfsburg logo black!
cweiland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, now I'm trying to figure if I can do it with powdercoating or if I'm going to have to settle with auto paint.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That machine work has ridges. Paint them and then wipe off the peaks of the ridges while still wet. You can touch up later with more paint and lacquer thinner.

It might be better to let them dry first and then wipe off the ridges with lacquer thinner.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cweiland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those machine ridges are smaller than they look. I can't even catch a fingernail on them. Though, I think that I get what you are saying. I'll pay close attention to the detail paint in order to achieve a smooth finish that doesn't reveal the machine pattern beneath it.

Thought about doing another set with the Wolfsburg logo smaller and set in a shield outline. That may come later. I've got plenty to do on this car before it hits the road.
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are pretty damn cool. Although if it were me, Id to the sheild as well and maybe make it a little smaller, the proportions look kind of wrong.
cweiland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's a big wheel so, we'll see how it looks with paint and tires (and on a vehicle for that matter). Like I said, I'll probably end up making different ones sometime in the future. I still have tons of stuff to do to get this car built and extra center caps are looking like low priority when these will work for now.

Thanks all for the input, though. More pics to come when they get painted.
ecdez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: New Center Cap for cip1.com 17" Fuchs Reply with quote

I just made myself a hood ornament. Looked good at first but once I added black to the background it looks way better. I'd say paint it.

I used flat black and you can't even see the machine marks.

One last thing, I used to work at a place that made signs and they would fill in the engraved letters with a hypodermic needle filled with thinned out paint. It would self level and fill the copy nicely. Just a thought.

EDIT - just saw how old this post is. I'm guessing you've already figured out what you're going to do. Laughing
Type 4 - '74 412
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: