Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 Pulley - where to buy a good one?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: 356 Pulley - where to buy a good one? Reply with quote

Hey gents, just a quick question.
I am wanting to bring my fan speed up and I understand the 356 pulley is the way to do it. I want to buy a "good" one, so as to not get hung out, and I have read there are some junk ones out there to steer clear of.
Any suggestions?
In case you are wondering, I am not trying to spin the fan faster than "normal" (at least maybe not much faster) just bring it up in speed. I am running a 3.88 rear and a little larger tires so the engine RPM is down and I just want to bring the fan speed back up.
Thanks a TON!!! I appreciate your time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Pulley - where to buy a good one? Reply with quote

I'm not sure what your asking, what pully do you have now and what engine is it on? a 356 pully is small dia. compared to a vw and SMALLER DIA. is SLOWER. check the aftermarket for an aluminum pully i've seen them in several sizes. a used Porsche 356 pully is going to cost 4 times what a new aftermarket one will.
Jay D.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Pulley - where to buy a good one? Reply with quote

I guess my question is in the subject line.
I have a stock VW pulley now.
How do you figure a smaller pulley (on the alternator) is slower? The 356 pulley's (gen./alt.) are known to be smaller and thus speeding up the fan.
Are you talking about the crank pulley? Yeah, there are smaller ones available but that defeats my purpose. I want to speed up the fan.
I know the 356 pulley will not be cheap but I do not know of a better way. I just want to be sure to get a good one as I have heard/read there are some junk ones out there. If I'm going to spend the money, it might as well be for a good one that won't leave me stranded.
Thanks.
Chaz
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Pulley - where to buy a good one? Reply with quote

What type of motor do you have ?
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 356 Pulley - where to buy a good one? Reply with quote

VW 1915.
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Pulley - where to buy a good one? Reply with quote

I just assumed you were talking crank pully, in you first post you say nothing about which pully you want.
Jay D.
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 Pulley - where to buy a good one? Reply with quote

Stoddard Parts should have what your looking for...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: