Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Four door crew cab?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What would you think of a four-door crew cab?
Leave the stock RHD DC unaltered.
57%
 57%  [ 22 ]
Install the fourth door.
42%
 42%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 38

Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
And it will make me happy to have the four doors. I know it is not stock. It adds value to me, if not some future owner. Just like the 2.0-L FI engine that is in it. The stock engine would be a 1600 upright. This engine upgrade is a definite improvement. Does it add value? To me it most certainly does. To a future owner, it would if it were me, but I can see how others would not appreciate it. If it is someone who wants to bring it back to stock, switching the engine back is not a big deal. Heck -- the value of the 2.0-L on the open market could easily pay for that job.

The fourth door is a bit different, in that it is not easily returned to stock (though not impossible either). It does, however, add a lot of utility, and it is done in the proper spirit and execution, so I would not call it a hack job, like those poor buses that are turned into "pickups".

And since when do people care about a RHD drive vehicle in the US? I would not think it is more desirable. It's more of a curiosity. Certain parts have to be obtained from the UK, which is expensive. It is not good for two-lane highways. It is a lot of fun to put a passenger in the front left seat with no steering wheel, though! They usually are very uncomfortable. I keep a spare steering wheel under the seat to hand them, but for some reason it does not put them more at ease. Smile

I do intend to keep this vehicle forever. So resale value will be to the executor of my estate (and my heirs).

I confused by your statement

"it's not good for two lane highways" ??!!!

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
mojogoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you! Climb the pole and get the banana.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
And there you have it! Post pics of the mod in progress.

Oh, man, I am way behind on a build thread for this truck. I have over 500 photos of the metal work alone. One of these days I'll get to it.

Keith wrote:

Sorry, I should have elaborated. When you are in the right side seat up front, your view around traffic ahead of you is terrible. If you want to pass someone, you just can't see around to check for oncoming traffic. You have to ask your passenger if it's OK to pass, and this is for some reason generally unnerving for them. Wink

I expect those in the UK have the same issue for LHD vehicles.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
babysnakes wrote:
And there you have it! Post pics of the mod in progress.

Oh, man, I am way behind on a build thread for this truck. I have over 500 photos of the metal work alone. One of these days I'll get to it.

Keith wrote:

Sorry, I should have elaborated. When you are in the right side seat up front, your view around traffic ahead of you is terrible. If you want to pass someone, you just can't see around to check for oncoming traffic. You have to ask your passenger if it's OK to pass, and this is for some reason generally unnerving for them. Wink

I expect those in the UK have the same issue for LHD vehicles.

Maybe a bus is different but I had no issues in a RHD bug. I always liked the idea of a RHD just because you don't see them but then little things like drive-thru's and toll booths are an issue when you are alone.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought in a 65 RHD Notchback from Australia. It is the weirdest sensation to drive a RHD car, let alone shift. The pedals are the same but it takes some doing to get used to sitting on the right side of the car. One finds themself putting the car to far to the left in a lane. The position your body is used to spatially when driving a LHD car. Confused

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
I brought in a 65 RHD Notchback from Australia. It is the weirdest sensation to drive a RHD car, let alone shift. The pedals are the same but it takes some doing to get used to sitting on the right side of the car. One finds themself putting the car to far to the left in a lane. The position your body is used to spatially when driving a LHD car. Confused

That'd be right - coming from the UK, my wife got very nervous a few times when I started driving over here, as the passenger side wheels were in the gutter sometimes... Laughing
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Four door crew cab? Reply with quote

For those who are interested, here is a progress photo on the fourth door addition to the double cab. After locating the NOS genuine VW B-pillar for the right side, and a door and most of the C-pillar, the rest was fabbed up, and the install looks like how VW would have done it. I am quite happy:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note that the right side door is the new one, since the left side door was original to this RHD truck.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Four door crew cab? Reply with quote

That's awesome! And looks really good. Did you fab the rockers too? or did you buy re-productions? cut it from something else?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Four door crew cab? Reply with quote

The rockers were fabbed before we found out that they are available. Razz
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Four door crew cab? Reply with quote

Freaking awesome! Looks great.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Four door crew cab? Reply with quote

I like it. It looks really well done and like it belongs there. It's your bus and as the owner you are entitled to do with it as you wish. It's not your duty to maintain it as a rolling monument to the engineering achievements of the third reich. Resale value is only a concept if you are not planning on selling it and even then is still a long way from the reality of cash on the barrel. If you ask people's opinions, you will never get any kind of resounding approval, no matter what you do. I like stock, but would love to do a Subie swap. The guy who did his engine down to the last nut, bolt and wire connector...I really like that too. There are certain vehicle mods that I really don't care for but appreciate the work that goes into them if it is well done.
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Four door crew cab? Reply with quote

Damn, that looks great. Good job at the door addition.
Looks like you trimmed the dog leg under the door for tire clearance?? or is it just the angle of the lens/photo?
I can't wait to see more pictures of the complete project. Nice job...
It's yours, make it as you want. You are the driver... It sure looks like a keeper.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Four door crew cab? Reply with quote

What are you doing for rear door seals?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Four door crew cab? Reply with quote

Excellent, John

May the stock Nazis return to their daily driver Kias amd fume.

Right for you means right for your Bus. Now, slam that sucker.
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Four door crew cab? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Robbie

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=188026&start=20

Still patiently waiting..... Smile
hcdmueller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Four door crew cab? Reply with quote

I haven't been this jealous in a while. I love the 4th door. I debated trying this on one of my double cabs, but they are both lhd, so the left rear door parts are almost impossible to source. I can't wait for C&C top star selling those seals both mine are toast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Four door crew cab? Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
I like it. It looks really well done and like it belongs there. It's your bus and as the owner you are entitled to do with it as you wish. It's not your duty to maintain it as a rolling monument to the engineering achievements of the third reich. Resale value is only a concept if you are not planning on selling it and even then is still a long way from the reality of cash on the barrel. If you ask people's opinions, you will never get any kind of resounding approval, no matter what you do. I like stock, but would love to do a Subie swap. The guy who did his engine down to the last nut, bolt and wire connector...I really like that too. There are certain vehicle mods that I really don't care for but appreciate the work that goes into them if it is well done.

Yup, well this truck is for me, and is not a restoration back to factory. That is for the single cab.

Angus II wrote:
Damn, that looks great. Good job at the door addition.
Looks like you trimmed the dog leg under the door for tire clearance?? or is it just the angle of the lens/photo?
I can't wait to see more pictures of the complete project. Nice job...
It's yours, make it as you want. You are the driver... It sure looks like a keeper.

It's just the angle. Aside from the fourth door, this is all stock 1978 DC.

70Crew wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Robbie

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=188026&start=20

Still patiently waiting..... Smile

New ones would be nice. Until then, I have an old one that is serviceable, and one good one that was found at a swap meet. We'll see how these look...

hcdmueller wrote:
I haven't been this jealous in a while. I love the 4th door. I debated trying this on one of my double cabs, but they are both lhd, so the left rear door parts are almost impossible to source. I can't wait for C&C top star selling those seals both mine are toast.

Yes, starting with a RHD truck is really what made this possible. That, and finding the unobtanium of a NOS right-side B-pillar. Fabbing that piece would have been a real challenge.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Four door crew cab? Reply with quote

This is awesome. Very, very nice.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Four door crew cab? Reply with quote

Dying for an in depth thread on this or even just a massive photo dump! Looks awesome! Applause
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Four door crew cab? Reply with quote

Looks great!

I assume you have seen this thread too... Another RHD 4 door double cab conversion, with some added 'touches'

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: