Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1954 build thread "Beatrix"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A little teaser Smile

Sorry I’ve been hesitant to post because I ran into some trouble in the spring and was feeling really down about the whole car. I learned that being a girl in this industry is not celebrated by many, and in fact it means that some will assume you’re dumb and try some of the age old tricks in the book. Anyway.

I ended up having to switch body shops back in the spring due to some timeline and workmanship issues (the same person that referred me to the engine guy also referred me to their body guy which, turned out to be similar in experiences). After said person trying to tell anyone capable of helping me to stay away from me, a bunch of those very people did exactly the opposite as they were instructed and offered to help... and things have been smooth sailing since. One even travelled 600km in a 56 kombi to help.

This man’s generosity really picked up my spirits and it’s safe to say I’ll have a lifelong friend. Beatrix’s progress is really owed to him as I didn’t even want the car for a while there... seemed everywhere I turned someone was willing to take my money without earning it. He took time off work and helped me make the pan 100% ready, and didn’t ask for a single dime. And the best part? We’re planning his next visit Smile

Then once Beatrix got sent to a reputable body shop close by (it turns out I actually knew the guy from when I was 14... seeing him pull up in various VW at that local coffee shop I worked at when I was 19 also contributed to the desire to own one) over 300 hours of metal work were completed this summer and the car is coming along quickly. Smile

I have my interior assembled and just about finished (just need the stitches in the seat to create the tufts) and hand stitch the back seat back bottoms together. I wrapped all the new coco pads in felt and they looks great.

Me, sore hands from upholstering all day, sitting on my new seats for the first time.

Next up.. headliner. I’m doing that myself because I’m tired of spending money and since I’ve sewn almost my whole life... clean hands and some fabric should be right up my alley.

Anyway, happy thanksgiving from north of the 49th. I have a lot to be thankful for.
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily

Last edited by TheLadyBug on Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I'm bummed to hear about how badly you were screwed over along the way, but delighted to know that you're back on track and making such great progress. Huge thumbs up!
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

It sounds like in the end it's all working itself out. You took on a huge task, and I'm really sorry to hear about shops taking advantage of you. That is the main reason I stayed away from becoming an Auto Tech as a kid..."Upselling" was a huge prey method, taking advantage of women in the Brake/ Suspension shops in Southern CA. I wanted nothing to do with it, and it made me sick to see someone leave with a $600 bill and very little work was actually accomplished.
Can you take some pics (or have someone else take them if the tips of your fingers are too sore!!) of the stitching you are doing on your seats? Interior is something I haven't do a lot of, and I'm interested to see how you tackle the sewing!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
It sounds like in the end it's all working itself out. You took on a huge task, and I'm really sorry to hear about shops taking advantage of you. That is the main reason I stayed away from becoming an Auto Tech as a kid..."Upselling" was a huge prey method, taking advantage of women in the Brake/ Suspension shops in Southern CA. I wanted nothing to do with it, and it made me sick to see someone leave with a $600 bill and very little work was actually accomplished.
Can you take some pics (or have someone else take them if the tips of your fingers are too sore!!) of the stitching you are doing on your seats? Interior is something I haven't do a lot of, and I'm interested to see how you tackle the sewing!!

Haha I did the seats months ago Wink fingers have recovered lol, but I have yet to do the final sewing.
When I was at GCVW I looked around and most of the back seat back bottom edges were hog ringed and I just had a feeling this wasn’t correct.
Mr OGPaint sent me this photo of some early (albeit vinyl) seats and his sexy leg to see how they were fastened. So I bought some strong polyester upholstery thread and a long needle to complete the task. Another person who has been quick to help me if I ever need a part, a picture, or advice.

2016 Golf R - my daily
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

It's great to see you back on track - it's taken me a very long time to catch up with your thread after a late start and I finished a couple of months ago in your quiet period. I love the teaser shot of the engine in place. Nice work and keep the updates coming- it inspires me to get more done myself. Cheers. Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
motofly196 wrote:

Haha I did the seats months ago Wink fingers have recovered lol, but I have yet to do the final sewing.
When I was at GCVW I looked around and most of the back seat back bottom edges were hog ringed and I just had a feeling this wasn’t correct.
Mr OGPaint sent me this photo of some early (albeit vinyl) seats and his sexy leg to see how they were fastened. So I bought some strong polyester upholstery thread and a long needle to complete the task. Another person who has been quick to help me if I ever need a part, a picture, or advice.

Get yourself a curved needle. That's what they used. It will make the job much easier.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you have had such a hard time. When I worked as a VW mechanic at a small independent shop in the 80's we had more than a few women who came in who had been screwed over by mechanics. I would have hoped that things have improved by now but if anything it's probably worse.

mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Charmaine - I'm glad the few bad apples haven't rotten you towards our hobby. I wish we were closer to help with your project. But good thoughts are headed your way!!!

Keep plugging away!

Martin

My Build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667183
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

great update! welcome back!
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
TheLadyBug wrote:

Get yourself a curved needle. That's what they used. It will make the job much easier.

Sooo... kinda like suturing skin Wink The long straight needle was for the seat tufts but a curved needle sounds like a great idea for the bottom as pictured. I’ll pick one up! Thanks!

Thanks for all the support everyone... I forgot how awesome most of you were Smile
2016 Golf R - my daily
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Glad to see you post...I hope the heater boxes are ok.

If I could help you more I would, Texas is a long way from Canada Very Happy

For some reason I thought yours was ultra maroon...

Texas Brown? Very Happy
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

yes!!!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2217040

TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

sled wrote:
yes!!!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2217040

$800CAD for a manifold with holes Wink That’s a hard no,

txoval wrote:
Glad to see you post...I hope the heater boxes are ok.

If I could help you more I would, Texas is a long way from Canada Very Happy

For some reason I thought yours was ultra maroon...

Texas Brown? Very Happy

Yes they turned out well. Thank you so much for everything you did to get them back to useable condition!! And yes it’s ultramaroon.. or the best facsimile I could come up with. It’s a real bear of a color to duplicate.
2016 Golf R - my daily
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:

holes? no holes.. but I get what you're sayin. money better spent elsewhere on the project.

I have to ask, was that ACTUALLY 300 hours spent on the metalwork?!
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

sled wrote:
TheLadyBug wrote:

holes? no holes.. but I get what you're sayin. money better spent elsewhere on the project.

If it doesn't have holes now it will eventually. The only way I would run one would be to block off the heat risers but even then unless it is NOS there is already rust inside just waiting to ruin your day on a Sunday drive.

TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

sled wrote:
TheLadyBug wrote:

Yes, yes it was. There was a lot that needing repairing, from both the previous body work, rust repair and fixing that roof. The decklid needed quite a bit of work, so did each fender, and I ended up swapping out the spare tire tub as it was wrecked. This doesn’t include labour to prep and paint the car either.

I see in the ad it says ‘no holes’... I thought it said it did have holes. But still; this item gives me such conflict because I want it so bad but I know it’s just a sad face waiting to happen. If it were cheap, I’d run it but not for that kind of cake.
2016 Golf R - my daily
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

It’s just the light, Ultra-maroon is like Stratos-Silver, it can look very different depending on the lighting

When I zoom, I can see the metallic
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
sled wrote:

Yes, yes it was. There was a lot that needing repairing, from both the previous body work, rust repair and fixing that roof. The decklid needed quite a bit of work, so did each fender, and I ended up swapping out the spare tire tub as it was wrecked. This doesn’t include labour to prep and paint the car either.

wow! that would be quite the pricey bill from me, I do metalwork and 300 hours would be a very unpleasant bill. Hopefully you got a screaming good rate!
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

sled wrote:
TheLadyBug wrote:
sled wrote:

wow! that would be quite the pricey bill from me, I do metalwork and 300 hours would be a very unpleasant bill. Hopefully you got a screaming good rate!

Yep the bill was huge but you know what? The guy was competent and fast. Two things I’m not used to so no complaints from me.
Look at this gap - the whole edge was rewelded.

2016 Golf R - my daily
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Looks great! It’s important to remember this is a hobby/passion. Money is just part of it, as with most hobbies. I’ve always chosen cars over hunting, golf, boating, etc...all cost money

You’ll enjoy the heck out of this car when complete. One word of advice, enjoy the car and drive it. Don’t let it become a trailer queen where you are nervous about everything, it wil not be fun. Scratches and even dents can be fixed.

This is why I sold my 54, I became so paranoid about scratches or bugs hitting it, it became a burden. Don’t let that happen.

On a positive note...post more pictures! The one at the top is a tease, with the engine installed, that means it’s back on the pan!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 48 of 53

Jump to: