Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spatz buggy build with my son
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Spatz buggy build with my son Reply with quote

Too Slick!

Nice find and maybe your son will get back to working on it with you.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Spatz / Rascal buggy build with my son Reply with quote

sbussard wrote:
So as I've been working without my son's help on the fiberglass patching on the Spatz, a Sears Rascal came up for sale about 30 miles from my house. The price was right, and the color was the same that we planned on painting the Spatz.

So we'll finish patching the Spatz body, get it in primer, and try to sell it to offset the cost of the Rascal.

Here's the new-to-us body. Never been drilled or mounted.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glad to see that one went to a great home!! Does this mean Jack will be more motivated now to finish?
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Spatz buggy build with my son Reply with quote

Brian - it was intended to be James's buggy. And I thought this new body might motivate him, but I'm delusional. He was off work today and didn't get out of bed until 4:30pm. No lie.

Looks like I'll have a second buggy for myself.
Manxter #122
First time, garage built, and living out the childhood dream of owning a life-size Hotwheel!

Check out my build thread-->My Manxter 2+2
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Spatz buggy build with my son Reply with quote

If I may ask, What do you know about the paint or gel coat on the new body? That is pretty close to the color I'm trying to figure out from the buggy I grew up with.
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Spatz buggy build with my son Reply with quote

rbucklin wrote:
If I may ask, What do you know about the paint or gel coat on the new body? That is pretty close to the color I'm trying to figure out from the buggy I grew up with.

I think most metalflake back then was from Meadowbrook, and this color was 12P Brilliant Fuchsia. They still sell flake, but it's polyester now. https://meadowbrookglitter.com/wp-content/uploads/polyester-jewel.pdf
Manxter #122
First time, garage built, and living out the childhood dream of owning a life-size Hotwheel!

sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Spatz buggy build with my son Reply with quote

We were able to sell the Spatz body, and finally got started on the Rascal. Major thanks to my brother for helping get the body attached. The bottom lip had curled upward since the body had never been attached and the resin kept curing. It caused some issues, but we ultimately got the body bolted down. The bolts aren't completely tightened yet since the lip was so curled. I'm hoping the glass will relax and I'm tighten them a little each week.

Manxter #122

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: