Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Not only does it give them props, it gives you street cred, having a motor from some of the legends!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Late model Cb rhino coupler tig welded for strength. Once we get the side to side right dave will tig between the rod and the adapter.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67-indeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Great build. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
Hope you don't mind me asking, but what procedure do you use to take the body on and off? Or maybe someone can steer me in the right direction.
I just noticed you mentioning it and I'm reading up on taking the body off for a pan resto and hopefully leaving the body as is as the paint is good Laughing
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

First time we had 4 guys and lifted it off. Set it on 2 4 wheel furniture Dolly’s. Then realized my buddy’s garage has a lift so we raised the lift all the way up. Rolled the car under it. Then used straps and tied the body to the bottom ramps then lifted the body up with the lift. That made it easy to do myself over and over again.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Got everything for the axles. Daniel Folts is going to assemble them. 930 lightned and polished with 300m splines and cages.

Black chrome is back from power coater. Came out awesome.

Body still st paint. Was told before 10/31 for sure!! Rolling Eyes

veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Very nice looking parts but if this isn't a full on drag car, why did you have the 930cv's lightened? ....it just seemed to me a silly expense. ...I understand it's your car and I do understand that it's just a weekender driver. ...just trying to understand your thoughts on the lightened 930cv's. ...not like it will bring home the trophy, or will it? Laughing...have you changed your mind to run the class (hold on here, my mind is drawing a blank) the class that is strictly show but you also have to run the quarter mile, damn I can't remember what that class is called, it's been 12-14yrs since I've been to a bug show...just looked it up, it's the trophy class which is running the quarter mile just for fun + your show class. ...you should win that one.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

I used to run my old v8 street car with 13.8:1 cr in some of those driver races,last 2 I was fastest & I was disqualified by the sponcer because I was faster...than thier car...and mine was a true daily driven street car...my brother built thier chassis at night with my equipment secretly so nobody would know they couldn't do shit them selves...reason I was given for the dq..my 15x33 tires were not dot...yet I bought them from the sponsor so he could get a better deal buying 3 sets....witch were on their 2 cars there... after the race the track manager told me to go get my trophy from the sponsor as he won the race...3 tenth slower.but he paid for the win I didn't. so much for "good" friends. so from then on I made sure I was always only a bumper ahead of their extremely high$$cars.execpt for when I wanted to imbarrass them.and I still had plenty left for them nomater what. we had way more people at our street races than the okalahomer guys do.
I sure miss that old car.
hurry and get the autocrafter done I want to see & hear it!!!.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

I put the lightened 930’s on for the same reason I paid for the axles to be rifle drilled. I don’t like cutting corners. If you couldn’t tell that already. I want the least amount of roating mass. I can always take out the street stuff and the drive train will be ready for the track. 200 for each CV in the scheme of things was not even a thought. If that was the case I could’ve bought cheaper Brakes also with regular size hubs. The whole paint the car and the black chrome was my wife’s request. The other was not to make it fast. She gets 2 of the 3. Wink
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

The fan looked awesome polished. But magnesium sucks to keep shiny. So I had it polished again then liquid smoke power coat then clear. Let’s see how that holds up.

veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

That fan looks incredible! Shocked ...black chrome paint is going to be awesome too!...I can't wait to see the finished body. Popcorn Popcorn
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Dude! Sick trailing arms!

I hadn't followed your thread for a while. But night before last, I was cruising the web for IRS pics, and I stumbled onto Ron's new arm design.

I just ordered a pair this morning, and then I started catching up on your thread and BAMM! There they are!

I'm assuming fitment was a breeze, yeah? And how was the bearing fit? I ask because I have been having issues with some welded arms I bought many years ago, but hadn't run. The bearing housings are distorted from welding, and they're basically egg'ed. That's why I jumped ship and bought Ron's new arms.

The only thing I notice in your pics that isn't very evident in the web pictures is that, the plate used for the shock mounts looks a bit thin. I'm guessing it's not an issue...Ron said he had the off-road guys test these arms...and they're certainly no thinner than the stock trailing arm shock mounts.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

He makes a billet aluminum bearing housing the bolts into the arms, and it bolted right in with complete stock bearings, I did not use stock bearing though Dave Folts did something else running tapered bearings inside and outside. The shocks bolted right in, the only thing that I had to do was clearance the shock towers, since it was a swing axle car the bolts on the spring plates were hitting the shock tower’s
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

I can't wait to see the final dyno numbers now that carbs have been fixed!
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

fan looks ace! i resprayed mine but i guess i didn't polish it enough as its starting to spider again Sad

one potential issue is the alternator earths to the engine via the ring.... maybe run an earth cable if you have charging issues although you may be fine!
i had issues and changed a few regs before i realised it was due to me lining my strap with rubber Laughing live and learn!
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Axles installed and torqued to 40lbs. Any day now on paint. Rolling Eyes

rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Too late now but Cerakote matte clear on the t'axle case would have been nice. Seals it from all stains and keeps it looking pretty.

Awesome build.
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Just read the whole thread. I luv it.

One comment on the cooling, those 11 blade pcar fans keep 650 HP 930 monster turbos cool on the street so it will work on this for sure.

That said, if it was mine I would mod the ends of the shroud at the heads with an add'l piece that extends down past the plugs and put grommets around the plugs.

Those barrels have a dearth of fins for sure but the original 930 barrels had no fins at all on the intake side. It was done to try to even out the temp profile across the barrel from intake to exhaust side to minimize distortion. But 930 barrels are aly with nickasil, these look like iron?

intake side of 930 barrels

exhaust side. notice the deflectors that are used between the barrels to reduce the volume of air across the barrels and increase the flow across the heads which is where it is mostly needed. They are a necessity and a 930, stock or otherwise, will overheat w/o them.

Just some constructive comments that may be utilized if you run into any cooling problems. I would def run a CHT gauge to watch the head temps. That is cerakote on the cases.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Finishing up some wiring for engine from ignition. Not much else to do. So I took an overhead picture.

A1 posted a video on his instagram 2 days ago.

https://www.imgrumweb.com/post/Bo-QjjLBetq

King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Took the Heads off and took them to Shawn Geers for some welding and porting. Going to make the intake ports rectangle and a little larger area than the 50mm intake. These heads were for a turbo so they need some love to flow with 52 IDA's

Still waiting for paint... This waiting is awesome, at least it gave me a reason to get the heads worked on.

On another note if you noticed my chambers had 2 spark plug holes per cylinder(the picture is in my gallery). Tom Schuh was trying to get as much power as he could back 20 years ago, Like they still are doing today. Here is a picture of the Duel distributor he made. How many of you have seen this before. I think there are 3 or 4 in existence.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 63 Rag Reply with quote

Seen the Bosch ones a few times.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 84

Jump to: