Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1984 Radius Arm Bolt Question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: 1984 Radius Arm Bolt Question Reply with quote

'84 Tin Top, [early style radius arm] I searched before I asked this, but in the next two weeks I'm finally getting around to replacing my heavily cracked Radius Arm/Rod Bushings and was wondering what size the 3 bolts that attach the arm/rod to the rest of the suspension are terms of diameter and length/thread pitch. I'd like to grab some spares in case one or more the bolts are seized and break on me during R&R.
I'm bead blasting my Radius Arms once they're off, so either the old bolts get cleaned up or I install new ones and paint everything as well.
Thanks.. Very Happy
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto

Last edited by jlrftype7 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Radius Arm Bolt Question Reply with quote

chris has everything you need here, top quality parts, top quality service

http://t3technique.com/suspension-and-drivetrain/vanagon-suspension/front-suspension-parts/hardware/

619 201 0310
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Radius Arm Bolt Question Reply with quote

I bought all my hardware from Chris. I highly recommend his hardware, the powerflex bushings he sells, Bushing Snot (bushing grease...use a lot of it).

http://t3technique.com/suspension-and-drivetrain/v...e/192.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Radius Arm Bolt Question Reply with quote

Not going with Poly bushings, already have my rubber versions, but thanks for the info. Just wanted to know what to order from Mc-Master Carr in terms of bolts and nuts for the radius arm mounting to the Spindle.
Found the 18mm x 1.5 nut size on the Rods/arms themselves, and will get the bolt sizes shortly, thanks again.

Okay, just measured them up, 10mm x 80mm x 1.5mm pitch on my '84.
Hope this helps anyone else out as a reference.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Radius Arm Bolt Question Reply with quote

I would not remove those bolts. At lest in the north east they will be rushed in. When I replace them on my van I ended up drilling them out. If you don’t touch them they will fine. The minute you start fooling with them you will need to replace all six bolts and you will ask yourself why did I do that. I would remove the hole assemble first. When I have things apart I always replace all the hardware but there are times when that’s not the right thing to do. John
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Radius Arm Bolt Question Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
I would not remove those bolts. At lest in the north east they will be rushed in. When I replace them on my van I ended up drilling them out. If you don’t touch them they will fine. The minute you start fooling with them you will need to replace all six bolts and you will ask yourself why did I do that. I would remove the hole assemble first. When I have things apart I always replace all the hardware but there are times when that’s not the right thing to do. John

I hear you, but so far, out of all the hardware I've unbolted on this Van, only 1 bolt broke on me. It's just not that rusted up, thankfully.
The hardware/ bolts on the lower control arms where they bolt to the Radius Arms looks a bit newer than original too, so I'm guessing the bolts were out at one point and replaced.
We hammer out seized bolts on Control arms around here all the time, and the vehicles are way newer than my Van... Razz
Air Hammer with the right bit does wonders for driving a stubborn bolt out, but you'll need new ones once you're done, even with using a nut on the end to get movement of the bolt started and not damaged the threads of the bolt if you were planning on reusing it.

Already bought my new hardware from McMaster Carr, so I'm set.
Now I need to finish rehabbing the used Trinity Blasting Cabinet that I bought last month off of Craigslist. industrial quality with a companion floor mounted Vacuum for dust collection though, not a feeble Harbor Freight unit. They're still in business over in Michigan from the research that I did on them. Very Happy
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Radius Arm Bolt Question Reply with quote

I hammered and air chiseled and heated until there was nothing left to beat then I got out my drill and finished the job. Hopefully you will get lucky and not have to work as hard as I did. I am vary good at getting out stuck fasteners but those kick my butt. Good luck with your project. John
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: